Is a cupro-nickel heat exchanger worth it?

ps0303

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jul 6, 2011
FL
We see the above question from time to time. People ask because they have heard that cupro-nickel is tough. When I see this question I usually chime in and say it really isn't worth the money. Just get a regular copper unit and keep you chemicals correct. Cupro-nickel will still fail if the PH is off and the water is allowed to become acidic.

I went on a service call this morning on a unit I installed in 2/2013 and they wanted a cupro-nickel heat exchanger because of what they read. They told me that it wouldn't light. Well to my surprise when I opened it, see pictures, it was shot! First question I asked was how the pool guy has been doing. The owner says, well we are on our third company. All of last year the company they had wasn't taking good care of the pool. They caught him just tossing chemicals in by hand and never testing. Water got acidic and was that way for a long time. Heat exchanger, cipro-nickel, is leaking.

Just remember, your equipment will only last if the water is maintained correctly.

New heater is being ordered.

20171104_100130.jpg 20171104_100040.jpg 20171104_100526.jpg 20171104_100124.jpg

:goodpost:

Thanks, Paul. You are 100% correct - chemistry is the main driver of pool equipment life time. Keep the water clear, clean and properly balanced and, with a minimal amount of preventative maintenance, you'll get good life out of your equipment. Those pictures you've posted are downright scary :shock: what the heck were the "pool boys" doing :scratch:

That's right! Cupro-Nickel Is like a glove on your hand rather than just your hand. You can still wear a hole in your glove it will just take longer. I too wont push it, but i do have two criteria for selling it:

1. It is a commercial job.
2. The owner or maintenance supervisor requests it.

When i see something like you have here Paul, i tell the owner to hire a new guy, then buy a test kit for himself and begin to compare his results with the new guys'.. AND have the new guy run a log of his results on site for the owner to monitor.

Guess i should have said the log part first.

I believe that those exchangers only really need to be in commercial applications (spas) where the chlorine level and HEAT are consistantly at higher levels.

I did forget one part of the story. When I was looking at the rest of the equipment I saw the salt chlorinator had a blinking "Check Cell" light. The guy says "I asked the pool guy about it and he said that is normal." I looked at the cell and it was all full of scale. It needed to be cleaned. So I guess that pool guy will be fired next.

I did pool servicing for a few years and it takes not much time to do the job right! Lots of lazy pool service companies out there. I never recommend any company when customers ask me for a good reliable company.

If pools tend towards higher PH ( basic ) on their own and we need to add Acid to bring PH down ( Acidic )

then how does a pool become acidic ?

Just from random chemicals ?

My neighbor once told me that his pool service guy, who is "the BEST in town!!!" told him that algae is normal part of owning a pool and that you just have to expect some green throughout the year and it's perfectly ok to swim in pool water if there is chlorine registering on the tester ("duh, lakes are green all the time and people swim in them with no chlorine!?!?!!!")....I told my neighbor that my pool never has algae and is always clean and clear so I guess I must have an abnormal pool :hammer:

That neighbor still refuses to try TFP and swears I'm a fool for wasting my time taking care of the pool by myself...

IMO, "pool guys" fear Chlorine generators thinking that since they produce chlorine that some how they will eventually become unneeded. OR, they just don't want to become versed in the operation or maintenance because it takes too long (1/2 hour in most cases to clean) and that interferes with their time table.

Sorry if that sounds harsh or like bashing the pool guy, but this comes from only the feedback of my customers. Since i am in the building/repair side of the industry, i have very little contact with the weekly service guys. So my view of the service side is only what i hear from their customers.

I also believe that, if they were to take more interest in the repair and maintenance of this equipment, it would only make them more money!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.