Irritated skin after first swim

dkode

Feb 1, 2020
Austin, TX
So in having my first non-SWCG pool and fully balancing chemicals for the first time, I'm curious as to how I can reduce skin irritation. After swimming yesterday and two showers, my skin still feels irritated and maybe this is just expected.

My current levels:
FC: 4
PH: 7.7
TA: 80
CH: 250
CYA: 50
TEMP: 76-80
CSI: -0.07 (as of this morning)

Is there any adjustments I can make to the balance to assist with better-ish feeling water?

Thanks!

You could add salt. New water tends to not feel as good since there is little salt. Salt will build up over time from the use of any source of chlorine, so older water doesn’t feel as drying.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Truthfully, raising it is more likely to decrease skin irritation for most people. Obviously there's a limit to that statement, and that limit is the SLAM level for a particular CYA level. But keeping the FC on the higher side of the Target Range speeds up the oxidation of potential irritants in the water.

One question though, did you test for CC at all? When someone find the water irritating that and pH are the first I go to when rounding up the usual suspects.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but could it be from something other than water chemistry? While I'm a bit north of you, yesterday was our first taste of blazing hot summer sun. Could it be sunscreen, a sunburn, irritation from a float, etc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this pool kept covered?

This pool is new. Only started up about 60 days ago.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but could it be from something other than water chemistry? While I'm a bit north of you, yesterday was our first taste of blazing hot summer sun. Could it be sunscreen, a sunburn, irritation from a float, etc?

Not likely, we went in late in the day and the irritation is mainly on my legs now. Not sure

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.