OK
Made it back from Lowe's and Leslie's.
Leslies said No Iron, No Copper.
FC .5
CC 0
PH 7.1
TA 60
Added CYA to bring to 30, squeezed sock and emptied in 15 min (hope that wasn't too fast)
Should I raise the 7.1 PH or let it be? (I have Borax and A&H Washing soda)
I have not added CL yet.

Attachments

• May 13 430pm 1.JPG
    May 13 430pm 1.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
  • May 13 430pm.JPG
    May 13 430pm.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 0
I added 1ppm CL at 5:00 and then 1ppm at 5:30. Is that slow enough? Should I aim to keep CL at 3.0 tomorrow?
Also, I brushed and vaccuumed the tiny bit. Vaccuum did not pick up all the grit form the roofing shingles installed yesterday.
Anything else I'm missing?

I am glad to see that blue water and the bottom vinyl. Not sure why the the pH drop. 6.8 is a bit low. Do you have a way to aerate the water? If not, you might try a little Borax. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return. But only to get you about 7.2 for now.

Tomorrow I would check the CYA one more time if it's sunny there. Get a good CYA confirmation, then go back to the FC/CYA Levels to ensure your FC meets the required minimum. If all looks good after a few hours, consider increasing the FC to the ideal target zone and maintain it that way. We'll keep our fingers crossed that your iron woes are behind you.

Reactions: markayash
So, it's been 9 days since last post. Been busy...
After the drain and refill due to potential iron. I balanced all chemicals, keeping PH at 7.2 and slowly raising FC to 6.0. some days having a CC of .5CC. All while looking for iron staining to show up on walls. It never did and the water was light aqua to light green/blue. fine green cloud when brushing. So I finally built up the courage to SLAM the pool starting with a PH of 7.2 last Sunday, May 15th. Water and walls turned blue! No iron staining! Even with over 3" of rain and clouds for the last 3 days I maintained SLAM and blue walls and water. Yesterday I even DEEP cleaned the sand filter the first time in over 5 years! It wasn't too bad. PSI increased from 8-12 PSI. There was a bunch of black Cypress tree needles in it. Vacuumed, brushed. CC has been 0 since Wednesday, 2 days ago. I still have a tiny bit of black dead algae on bottom that settles after vacuum and brushing. Still at SLAM level. Another concern I have is that the water in CL cylinder after doing FC test is... the way to best describe...not crystal clear, sort of "cloudy", pale/hint of yellow. Why would this be? Do I still have to worry about high FC and PH levels once SLAM is over regarding possible Iron? What is my next step? PS we will be away for three days and weather should be 85 and partly sunny. Thank you again for all you guidance!

Attachments

• May 20.JPG
    May 20.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
Fantastic! You did exactly what needed to be done. Looks great. I wouldn't worry about the discolored water sample in the tubes, they can do that. What matters is the color changes of the reagent. So for now, continue the SLAM unless you've already passed the 3 criteria. For your trip of 3 days, if you have a cover, that would help preserve FC. If not, you can actually bring the FC to SLAM level just before leaving. The elevated FC should last 2-3 days. You can always put a puck or two in a floater as well if you like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.