carnivalday

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2017
Ocala, FL
I have somewhat iron-y water, and filled the pool this past November with well water. Ive had no problems at all with the water, but Ive noticed my pool brush is starting to turn orange, and where I set the brush down yesterday, after brushing the pool down, it left a very faint orange stain on the deck. First time thats happened. I havent added any water to the pool; any water that has been added has been from rain.

Do I need to do anything? Is this the beginning of a problem?

edited to add: I just checked the pool really closely, and theres no iron anywhere, or even beginnings of iron, except where I set my brush, so I think the brush just needs replacing. Ordered one off of Amazon, will be here tomorrow.

Last edited:
It could very well by your brush. I had one do the same thing. The metal part that holds the bristles rusted and made a mess :(

To be on the extra safe side you can take a sample of your well water to the pool store the next time you will be by one to have them test it for you.

Yes, I agree with Kim. Hopefully it's just the brush. But if you find that there is a significant level of iron in your pool water, say 0.3 ppm or more, you might consider paying close attention to the weather and incoming storms. Lower the water level in advance to take advantage of Mother Nature's clean, free stuff. :)

This the same brush I used to have and it did the same thing. After a while the bristles started to fall out as well.

The polyester in the brush bristles is broken down by UV. If you want the brush to last longer don’t leave it out in the sun. Otherwise it is another consumable that will will be periodically replaced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oops. Well I guess after I use the new one, Ill take it off and store it in the box with the Echo dude. Never even thought about that, especially since its winter. I guess in July it would just melt!

The metal head is usually aluminum.

The rust might be coming from the screws that hold the brush together.

You can replace the screws if they're rusting.

Make sure to get good stainless steel and make sure that the screws are not too long as that could risk scratching the pool surface if the screws go into the bristle area.

Reactions: carnivalday
The Wall Whale that Marty referenced is an awesome pool tool. It makes brushing much easier and does a far better job than regular brushing. It's made to provide more power and oomph without requiring the user to be Arnold Schwarzenegger! It holds the brush against the wall or floor as you push. Love mine!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.