Iron Stains: Do Ascorbic Acid + Sequestrant prior to using CuLator bag?

phappy

Aug 25, 2013
Hi all. Happy Summer '22.

I've done two partial drain & fills over the years in an effort to remove metals. But it's too costly to keep doing. So I purchased a CuLator bag, and hope to get the remaining .45 iron out of the water. This is just a question about your thoughts on the process.

When using a CuLator bag:

- Is it best to first do an ascorbic acid treatment (always works well), which will get the metals into solution.
- And then use a sequestering agent to "bind" the metals.

???

Should the Culator better work if the metals are already in solution and bound by the sequestrant?

Thanks as always for the kind advice & help.

The forum has not found the bag thing to work very well. The best way to remove iron is using polyfill and or a specific iron water filter. You cannot have the iron sequestered to remove it. It must be in the 'rust' stage to be filtered.

TFP doesn’t really recommend using CuLators. They are one of those pool products that sound believable but do nothing useful. How is a small bag of ion exchange resin which most of the pool water is going to flow around, and not through, suppose to help?? Even if you believed that the ion exchange resin will work, the hydraulics simply make no sense.

But it’s your pool and your money so it’s your choice to go down that road.

The ion exchange resin in the culator bag acts to attract metal ions. You can think of it as a physical sequestering agent. If you add a chemical sequestering agent to your pool water and the metal ions have a greater affinity for the HEDP in the sequestering chemical, then the CuLator will not remove the ion from the solution. Since the CuLator uses a proprietary resin, there’s no way to know for sure if it will work with a sequestering chemical in the water. You should probably email their customer/technical support and ask them.

As far as the stains go, if there are visible stains then that is metal that has come out of solution. You have to lift the stains first before the metal ions can be removed by some other method.

mknauss and JofulNoise, thank you for replying with such quality information. TFP forums have the best people.

Well, at this stage...I ordered one CuLator packet/bag. So...I guess I'll have to give it a shot. Though in reading more about the ion attraction and thinking of the physical movement of the water, I too think it will be a long shot to produce any quality results.

Thanks for advising that I should not use a sequestering agent. Good stuff, and an expense saved. Thank you again friends.

TFP non consiglia davvero di utilizzare CuLators. Sono uno di quei prodotti per piscina che sembrano credibili ma non fanno nulla di utile. In che modo un piccolo sacchetto di resina a scambio ionico in cui scorrerà la maggior parte dell'acqua della piscina, e non attraverso, supponiamo di aiutare? Anche se credevi che la resina a scambio ionico funzionerà, l'idraulica semplicemente non ha senso.

Ma è la tua piscina e i tuoi soldi, quindi è una tua scelta intraprendere quella strada.

La resina a scambio ionico nella sacca del cultore agisce per attirare gli ioni metallici. Puoi pensarlo come un agente sequestrante fisico. Se si aggiunge un agente sequestrante chimico all'acqua della piscina e gli ioni metallici hanno una maggiore affinità per l'HEDP nella sostanza chimica sequestrante, il CuLator non rimuoverà lo ione dalla soluzione. Poiché il CuLator utilizza una resina brevettata, non c'è modo di sapere con certezza se funzionerà con una sostanza chimica sequestrante nell'acqua. Probabilmente dovresti inviare un'e-mail al loro supporto clienti/tecnico e chiedere loro.

Per quanto riguarda le macchie, se ci sono macchie visibili, allora è metallo che è uscito dalla soluzione. Devi prima rimuovere le macchie prima che gli ioni metallici possano essere rimossi con qualche altro metodo.
Ho problemi con le macchie di ferro (anche se i test fatti sull'acqua non hanno rivelato quantità anomale di ferro) ho trattato più volte con acido ascorbico, uso regolarmente sequestrante e ho provato anche con polyfil ma purtroppo non riesco a togliere le macchie macchie... appena aggiungo il cloro le macchie tornano. Sono disperata e non so più cosa fare

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.