Chattanooga TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have used the Vitamin C treatment as posted by TFP with great results. My issue is maintaining the whiteness without adding more Vit C every week or so. I am using Pool Mate 1-2550-04 Metal Out Stain and Mineral Inhibitor for Swimming Pools,1-Quart, 4-Pack 2 btls per month. However, the staining comes back. Any ideas on products on how I can keep the brown out longer? pH is around 7.2 consistently. Is it ok to keep the pH lower than the recommended range? Thanks!

Hello! :wave: While we don't normally keep the pH at 7.2, it is still within a reasonable range. You don't have a heater to worry about so that's good. As for the sequestrant, ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Aside from that, your only other real options are to try and exchange some of that water for fresh water and/or try to catch some of it in a make-shift filter or stuff in the skimmer (i.e. polyfill). Some people use iron-grabbing products like the CuLator as well.

I have used the Vitamin C treatment as posted by TFP with great results. My issue is maintaining the whiteness without adding more Vit C every week or so. I am using Pool Mate 1-2550-04 Metal Out Stain and Mineral Inhibitor for Swimming Pools,1-Quart, 4-Pack 2 btls per month. However, the staining comes back. Any ideas on products on how I can keep the brown out longer? pH is around 7.2 consistently. Is it ok to keep the pH lower than the recommended range? Thanks!
Thank you - will try these

Hello! :wave: While we don't normally keep the pH at 7.2, it is still within a reasonable range. You don't have a heater to worry about so that's good. As for the sequestrant, ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Aside from that, your only other real options are to try and exchange some of that water for fresh water and/or try to catch some of it in a make-shift filter or stuff in the skimmer (i.e. polyfill). Some people use iron-grabbing products like the CuLator as well.

OMG!! my pool water just turned clear brownish-green!!! I put the CU Lator in my skimmer and I'm not sure that did it or raising the pH by using Borax. Chemistries last night were: FC=4.5, CC = 0, pH = 7, TA = 60, CYA = 90, salt = 3000, water temp = 71. I added 2 lbs of Borax. HELP!!

Your test results, specifically the pH (7) and FC (4.5) are not radically out of line to cause the color change. Neither is the CULator. I suspect your iron content is simply too high. A water exchange to remove that iron is probably your best option.

Your test results, specifically the pH (7) and FC (4.5) are not radically out of line to cause the color change. Neither is the CULator. I suspect your iron content is simply too high. A water exchange to remove that iron is probably your best option.
Thank you! I’m using poly fill in my skimmers and will use the water that goes through my house filters to replace water in the pool. I appreciate the help!!

Great news! The poly fill worked. Now I still have stains on cozy cove and slight stains on stairs. Water is crystal clear. How do I get rid of the stains without going to AA again? 56B664B9-9600-4494-9276-E26C7CC774AF.jpeg2E472CD5-C0EA-4986-B399-1B945C6D0737.jpeg3AF29FDE-067E-4D09-A888-F79FA0375F3F.jpeg

I see you have a cartridge filter similar to mine but bigger
Jacks folks told me to do Vit C treatment
Add Jacks Filter Fiber
Then add Jacks Purple stuff

After a month my cartridge filters were covered in rust looking stuff. I think the filter fiber helped for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.