Iron staining and 0 PPM when water tested.

Planenuts

Aug 2, 2020
Montreal Canada
Good Day everyone,

Iron staining has showed up in my fiberglass pool in the last few weeks, confirmed with a vitamin C pill, rubbed on the stains and was erased, threw the pill in the bottom of the pool and made a nice long line where it moved due to the water flow. I have read up on AA treatment and went to pick up some Jack's purple stuff at the pool store. The sales guy was suggesting this unique polymer technology that attracts and holds metals to remove the metal in suspension once I do the AA treament(instead of the sequesting agent. what are your thaughts on that?

Second comes on trying to find where the Iron came from, I am using city water to fill, and it is not known to contain metals (although I did not test the fill water) my calcium chloride was low and brought it up somewhat, is it possible there is iron in the calcium chloride? or from my brush? there is yellow marks at the base of the bristles could there be steel pieces that hold the bristles in? note that the staining in the bottom are like brush marks.

Last readings (also shared in pool math)
FC 8.0
PH 7.6
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 80
CSI -0.29
76'C

dazzle.jpg

Honestly, iron could come from just about anywhere. Even local water supplies roll the dice depending on where their supply systems are tapped into. But since you confirmed it, your best solution is to try and remove it. The products/processes you noted above only pull it off the surface and/or keep it in water form but never permanently resolve the problem.

Your best solution is to exchange water with non-iron water, but with FG pools we can't just do that very easily. Filtering-out the iron would be ideal, but if your water is clear right now, the iron may be more in soluble form and not susceptible to polyfill. But it may be worth a try anyways. Try setting up a way to run pool water though a 5-gallon bucket of polyfill, or perhaps add polyfill to your skimmer and monitor for a day or so to see fi you get any. Remove enough of it and you won't need those products.

My water is chrystal clear, so I will try that, add some AA to get it in solution and add some polyfill to the basket, and see if I can catch it. would my cartridge filter not catch some also? last time I rinsed it, it was white. Finally the main question does that Dazzle eliminator really work? or the purple stuff is better until I can change some water later in the season.

Out of curiosity I brought a water sample to the poor store to test for iron and the level is at 0, does this make sense? I would expect to see some indication of it in the water if it is all over the pool, if it possible it is not iron staining but something else?

Iron that has deposited on pool surfaces no longer will show up in water tests. The water test will only find iron that is in solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.