Iron leaching from coping

KCD

Apr 9, 2021
Clinton, MD
Iron stains are showing up on several areas on the coping (see pics). The PB did not warn us that this would happen. This coping stone was one of the choices made available by the PB. On one area, the stain is even dripping down into the plaster area of the pool. I would hate to be swimming in a pool with ugly rust stains coming down the side from the coping that is leaching iron. The pool is under construction with decking and plaster still not installed. Because the PB took on too many jobs, this pool build has been going on for almost a year. What recourse do I have?

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 48
I'm sure this thread will get some discussion, but before we do, I had a few questions:
- What kind of stone was used?
- Where did the water come from used by the contractors who applied the mortar?
- Are you on a well?
- Because your project has taken so long, if there any chance that tools, equipment, or other product(s) might have contributed to the rust residue?

We'll put our heads together and see what we can give you.

I don't think that it is from the stone.

I suspect that it is from rebar under the stone.

I would pull up the stones with the most rust to see if rebar is near the surface of the gunite/shotcrete wall/bond beam.

How long has those stones been installed?

Your recourse is to tell the PB to remove the stones , examine the area under it, and select replacement stones that don't show any veins.

Let the replacement stones sit outside and weather before installation for a few weeks to confirm they don't show any rust signs,

I don't think rebar rusting stains would flow up.

This rust seems to be coming from the crack in the grout.

Maybe rain water is sitting in a depression in the stone and bleeding into the crack and the rust is bubbling back up through the water.

It's essentially a type of effloresence.

In any case, the stones should be removed and the base should be examined for steel wire or rebar including using a strong magnet to detect any steel.

If steel is found, the steel should be removed to prevent further rust.

If the stones can be cleaned and reused, then that would be acceptable if the stones are definitely not the source of the rust.

If no steel is found and the stones are the source of the rust, then the stones should be replaced with stones with no iron.

1631288085041.png

We use city water. There are rebar rust stains coming from a couple of areas on the wall of the gunite; and looking closely, this coping stain appears to be coming from the joints, not the stone. Further, we kept all of the unused stone, and none of them shows any iron leaching out. So, I’m thinking it is likely coming from under the stone, maybe rebar rust, just like the ones on the gunite wall. The PB said it’s the stone causing the stain so I believed the PB but now it looks questionable.

Crush up some vitamin C tablets and make a solution with some water.

Use a plastic bristle scrub brush and the vitamin C solution to see if the stain can be scrubbed off.

Then watch to see if the stains reappear from the cracks.

In any case, you probably need to deal with the rebar to prevent further rust stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.