Iron, AA going forward

Neworldjef

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Hi All,

I am referring to my recent adventures with iron stains and AA, sequestrant, etc.

After screwing up and raising my chlorine too quickly (even though I THOUGHT I was going slowly) and adding to that by using non-chlorine shock (which has the same oxidizing effect), I did it all again and got it right. Water is perfectly clear.

My question, is there now an ongoing risk of PH rising and/or chlorine getting a bit too high and precipitating iron back? Or does it become generally stable assuming PH and chlorine are within normal ranges? Can I shock again after 2-3 weeks?

I am going with sequestrant weekly as directed.

Thanks for all the help!

Jeff

My question, is there now an ongoing risk of PH rising and/or chlorine getting a bit too high and precipitating iron back?
Pretty much. The pH should rise naturally so keep it under control by testing often. Of course, since you are now acutely aware, you will probably manage both pH and chlorine quite carefully

The sequestrant is there to keep the iron in solution. Unfortunately, it "wears out" so you will always have to add sequestrant as long as there is soluble iron in your pool water.

Do you fill from a well? Do you have a whole house water softener?

Reactions: Neworldjef
You can not shock the pool with iron in the water, it’s will go green/brown again. But then again, if you are following TFP appropriately, you should never have a need to “shock” a pool regularly. The concept of regular, periodic “shocking” of the water is a myth made up by the pool industry to sell you chemicals and/or hide poor water management. It’s a crutch used by people that don’t regularly maintain their pool. Just maintain the pool correctly and you’ll never have to do extraneous chemical treatments again.

Pretty much. The pH should rise naturally so keep it under control by testing often. Of course, since you are now acutely aware, you will probably manage both pH and chlorine quite carefully

The sequestrant is there to keep the iron in solution. Unfortunately, it "wears out" so you will always have to add sequestrant as long as there is soluble iron in your pool water.

Do you fill from a well? Do you have a whole house water softener?
No well and neighbors with pools did not have this issue. No water softener. Can't figure out where it came from.

You can not shock the pool with iron in the water, it’s will go green/brown again. But then again, if you are following TFP appropriately, you should never have a need to “shock” a pool regularly. The concept of regular, periodic “shocking” of the water is a myth made up by the pool industry to sell you chemicals and/or hide poor water management. It’s a crutch used by people that don’t regularly maintain their pool. Just maintain the pool correctly and you’ll never have to do extraneous chemical treatments again.
Thanks Matt! Since TFP - have not had to shock in years. Probably did not need to ask that question! LOL

If you dont think it came from your fill water do a water exchange.
Katodude - that is exactly what I am thinking except I can't figure out where it came from. I'm assuming if neighbors right next door and 2 doors down have no issue, it is safe to assume it is not from municipal fill water. The fire hydrant is in front of my house and I'm the lowest point in the neighborhood. I'd just hate to exchange and have it recur!

If water is cheap just do it anyway. Iron builds up over time. Even if your fill water contains iron there are people that dont see the staining for years. The iron builds up over time as you add water.

Your other options is to try to filter it out. Its more complicated. They way I did it (but I have a cartridge filter) was to slowly pour chlorine down one of my skimmers. The iron precipitated from the chlorine and pH jump and got caught by the filter. Next time I do an AA I will also stuff the filter with Polyfill to try to capture more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.