Iowa Vinyl Pool

Pool company stopped by and gave us a longer backwash hose and fixed the buoy rope between the shallow & deep end...

My ‘good times were had’ pic
Also note the S/M/L/XL life vests. Never gonna know who will get tired and how big they’ll be when that much fun is happening. If there are little kids around get some puddle jumpers to spare also.

E4553F47-007D-43B3-8803-540B12A12192.jpeg

My ‘good times were had’ pic
Also note the S/M/L/XL life vests. Never gonna know who will get tired and how big they’ll be when that much fun is happening. If there are little kids around get some puddle jumpers to spare also.

View attachment 350300
❤️ I have 3 puddle jumpers and the boys have life vests. I'm sure we'll accumulate more stuff.

Reactions: newdude
Menards only had the 19% muriatic acid... 90% less fumes... we'll try it. I bought 2 containers and only that. 2 ladies in front of me were commenting... that's a lot of muriatic acid... yep...

Landscaper texted. Pavers will be delivered thursday. He will likely be here thursday but definitely friday & monday... more pics to come!

Reactions: Snoobug

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m a t-shirt collar over nose and mouth while holding my breath kinda guy.
I'm going to try the tshirt over the nose method! We just used the last of the 31% and now we get to use the 90% less fumes.... hoping it's not so awful. We have had so little wind and watching the acid mist into the air... 🤮

Debating on getting something like this... would it work for MA?View attachment 350674
No. It’s the wrong cartridge type.

Please don’t waste money on stuff like this, it is entirely unnecessary and just promotes the idea that pool care is somehow dangerous. You absolutely don’t need that kind of protection. MA vapors are really not that harmful. No one likes the acidic blast of vinegar/mustard smell from MA but it is at such a low concentration that you are not doing yourself harm. Improper use of PPEs can be far worse than not using them at all.

I throw on a cheap half-face respirator mask (with the proper acid vapor filter cartridges) and some cheap lab goggles when I'm adding 31% muriatic acid. It takes practically no time at all and completely eliminates the noxious fumes issue. Nothing wrong with taking safety precautions when working with chemicals.

Edit: see JoyfulNoise's post below, this is apparently a bad idea!

Last edited:
I throw on a cheap half-face respirator mask (with the proper acid vapor filter cartridges) and some cheap lab goggles when I'm adding 31% muriatic acid. It takes practically no time at all and completely eliminates the noxious fumes issue. Nothing wrong with taking safety precautions when working with chemicals.

Sorry to flag this post but this EXACTLY what I am warning against and must use this as a teachable moment. This exactly why wearing the wrong PPEs can be dangerous.

By wearing a half face respirator with an acid cartridge you are completely eliminating your sense of smell and recoil-reflex which is what protects your eye from damage. By wearing cheap safety glasses your are potentially allowing acid fumes to accumulate around your eye. With no sense of smell those fumes can be corrosive to your corneas and cause eye damage. Either you wear a properly fit-tested and sealed full face respirator OR you wear nothing at all. A half respirator is a recipe for disaster.

And before this gets blown off as being overblown and “never caused me harm” we had a post on here about 4 years ago from a fellow that did EXACTLY what is described above and he landed up in the emergency room seeing an eye doctor for chemical keratitis and conjunctivitis. Luckily he did not go blind.

Folks, I can’t stress this enough, I have over 14 years experience of working in a chemical processing lab with a decade of OSHA Safety training behind it. Wearing the wrong PPEs can put you in serious danger and it’s no joke. The only thing you need to wear when handling MA is a good pair of splash proof safety goggles and, if you want, rubber gloves to cover your hands. That’s it. Anything else only makes handling and exposure more dangerous, not less.

You'll get used to adding it and it'll become a super simple task. I use the 'pour slow, but close' method with the bottom of the bottle IN the water and hardly catch a whiff. We add acid maybe 1x a week.

You'll get used to adding it and it'll become a super simple task. I use the 'pour slow, but close' method with the bottom of the bottle IN the water and hardly catch a whiff. We add acid maybe 1x a week.
I really appreciate this. Maybe because my TA was so high that I've had to add more to compensate. I retested TA today and it's been coming down. We have had little wind and lots of humidity. When the vapor hit me I just had no control over what was in my hands and to be honest it was a bit scary.

Hopefully getting the 90% less fumes MA will make this part go a lot easier. On the bright side, the first time I put liquid chlorine in I thought the smell was awful and now after MA... it's nothing.

You can also keep your 1st empty jug and use that to hold any leftovers from future adds. Take the add bottle and submerge it, then let it mix/dump underwater. Just be careful to tilt the bottle going in for when it ‘burps’ and spits while filling. Brush real good after.

Ok so had a crystal clear pool last night. Woke up this morning and had a green tint. Tested fc at 6.5. Bumped up to 8 (put in a partial gallon) then waited and put in another gallon. Tested, got to 11.5 fc and cc was 0.

I put a sequesterant in.... thinking it's iron... we shall see... the green is gone... for now. I'm going to put in a new skimmer sock and put polyfill in there...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.