Ionizers without chlorine

Mstanwyck

Apr 6, 2019
Los Angeles
I just recently started talking my son to a swim class. They use ionizing technology (Link Removed by Jim R.) which claims to be chlorine free.

After all I have read I’m pretty sure this is a bad idea. All of the kids in this class are under a year old, which to me means they are not only potentially creating a fecal bacterial environment while using the pool, they’re all susceptible to getting sick more easily.

Can anyone tell me about this system? I see that some ionizers use some form of chlorination but this one claims to be “free” of chlorine. I’m a little bit leery about taking my 9 month old back. It might be a coincidence but he has a real snotty cold a day after the visit class

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!
I would not take a child to that pool. I am also quite surprised the health department accepts that as there are only three EPA approved sanitizers for pools; chlorine, bromine, or biguanide.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Have you asked the pool owner about their sanitation? While they may be using this questionable device, perhaps they also use chlorine or one of the other two approved sanitizers too? I sure hope so!

Is this an indoor pool or outdoor?

Maddie :flower:

Well, it appears that the pool would fall under the requirements as a public pool in Los Angeles

A public swimming pool means any swimming pool operated for the use of the general public with or without charge, or for the use of the members and guests of a private club, including any swimming pool located on the grounds of a hotel, motel, inn, an apartment complex, or any residential setting other than a single-family home.

As such, they are required to have a minimum of 1ppm Free Chlorine and 2ppm Free Chlorine if any CYA is present.

As pothers have said, I would not get in that pool and there is no way I would let an infant under my control in the water.

Thanks for all your replies! I’ve actually sent her an email to see if she’s using any chlorine. If she’s not I told my wife we’re not going back and she agrees.

And if she’s not using it I’ll certainly let her know that she’s not complying with the law and that she is putting those children at serious risk.

I do believe if she isn't using chlorine then she likely has some interesting ideas about the supposed dangers. We have seen a lot of scaremongering done by sellers of these non-chlorine systems with some really bad science that unfortunately sounds very compelling to people unfamiliar with the chemistry involved. Odds are that you will get some of those ideas in her reply if she is indeed not using chlorine. This also means that any concern will likely fall on deaf ears, it would not be surprising to find that she feels that chlorine would put the children at more risk than not (very very much not the case!). As such, if you do find out she is not using an approved sanitizer in the pool (chlorine, bromine, biguanide) I would instead voice your concerns directly with the health department. They have the ability to force her to stop putting those children at risk.

I do hope that this may turn out to be some sort of misunderstanding, but if not I wish you luck in finding another swim instructor. I do believe that you and your wife are making the safest choice for your child and I applaud that. And of course I welcome you to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.