Ionizer and UV lamp setup on return line

May 26, 2016
Manitoba, Canada
Does anyone have one or both setup on their pools? I am looking for the ionizer to help prevent algae by raising copper levels (clear blue ionizer) then a UV lamp to also help treat the water as it passes through the system.

I'm hoping this helps my sanitizer work more efficiently and can be reduced to .5 or 1ppm chlorine, and then I've switched to oxy shock (non chlorine) for weekly / bi-weekly shocking.

I also have a chlorine feeder I toss 4-5 chlorine pucks so there's a constant feed of chlorine for the pool all week.

I'd appreciate any feedback on if this is a good lower maintenance plan and will help keep the pool treated and balanced easier?

Ionizers have come a long way and clear blue prevents staining and the copper levels aren't too high but stop algae from growing. The oxidizer shock helps break down organics, then chlorine feed keeps sanitizer added routinely but should work more efficiently, and UV and ionizer help with bacteria. Chemical costs and manual effort should both come down too. Less chlorine the better too.

Thanks,

Ionizers have come a long way
If you believe that, then I have a bridge to sell you. Copper is copper, they have not invented magic ways of making it kill algae yet not stain. You are listening to marketing and eating it up without a second thought...

This setup is nothing special. The copper is exactly what it is, prevents algae without providing sanitation. The UV lamp is a weak little residential thing. It will provide some extremely limited sanitation of the water passing through the system until it starts to die. And realistically the sun provides enough UV to do what you actually want UV to do: burn off CC. Oh, and the UV light will burn off chlorine too. How beneficial!

MPS is pointless, if your pool has a buildup of organics then you've got a significant problem. Plus the sulfates will damage the ionizer, seems odd that they would recommend that. Not to mention that if you're using chlorine pucks then you've got CYA in the water and so 0.5 ppm of FC is not enough to create a sanitary environment, regardless of whatever metals and light you put in the water.

You've been on the site for over five years, have you not seen the FC/CYA Levels or any of the other tenets of TFPC? Attempting to run extremely low chlorine does not create the most comfortable or sanitary water experience. I had a metal system (I refuse to call it a "mineral" or "ion" system, those are BS marketing terms) and tried to use it. Since I started following TFPC the water has been easier to maintain, far more comfortable and enjoyable, and I know it is safer. I wouldn't go back if someone paid me.

Reactions: Newdude and AK-
new,

Our website is dedicated to teaching others how to effectively use chlorine to prevent algae and sanitize their pools. I doubt any of our members are going to be able to provide you with any positive feedback on using UV, Ionizer, or any other forms of magic..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Most people looking for alternative methods to maintain algae free pool are concerned with levels of chlorine. I’m assuming that is your reasoning too.

With 0.5ppm of chlorine and ZERO CYA all your chlorine will be Hypochlorous acid that is the sanitizing agent on a pool for a really small amount of seconds as any UV exposure either on the system or from sunlight will decompose it in salt and water. At this point your pool will be unsanitary (unable to eliminate hazardous organisms such as bacteria and viruses)

With 0.5ppm of chlorine and ANY CYA all your chlorine will be chlorinated cyanurates and you will have an unsanitary pool.

The UV system can effectively kill viruses and bacteria, but only the small fraction of it going thru the UV, so it does nothing to make your pool sanitary.

Algae is the canary in the coal mine, if a pool creates algae then it does not have enough FC. Adding copper to kill algae is like putting an oxygen mask on the canary in the mine.

Does anyone have one or both setup on their pools? I am looking for the ionizer to help prevent algae by raising copper levels (clear blue ionizer) then a UV lamp to also help treat the water as it passes through the system.

I'm hoping this helps my sanitizer work more efficiently and can be reduced to .5 or 1ppm chlorine, and then I've switched to oxy shock (non chlorine) for weekly / bi-weekly shocking.

I also have a chlorine feeder I toss 4-5 chlorine pucks so there's a constant feed of chlorine for the pool all week.

I'd appreciate any feedback on if this is a good lower maintenance plan and will help keep the pool treated and balanced easier?

Ionizers have come a long way and clear blue prevents staining and the copper levels aren't too high but stop algae from growing. The oxidizer shock helps break down organics, then chlorine feed keeps sanitizer added routinely but should work more efficiently, and UV and ionizer help with bacteria. Chemical costs and manual effort should both come down too. Less chlorine the better too.

Thanks,
I'm in Manitoba too and I can confirm that a UV unit is useless, save for an indoor pool installation. I was sold one by our PB and it went out last summer (the GFI tripped). There was no difference in our pool water or chemical usage when it went out. Literally zero.

This year it looks like the bulb has burned out and I'm definitely not wasting any money replacing it.

As for the ionizer scam, google "pool ionizer damage to equipment" and you'll be treated to endless articles on the damage these systems do, with zero advantage. It's not just this group that knows the perils of ionizer systems.

m.

Reactions: Newdude

Thanks,
One of my clients lives on the west side of Las Vegas in Clark County, on well water, the pool is in constant green algae infestation, algae sporing likely constantly sourcing from the aquifer.

Proposed Solution:
Permission from customer to test an Ozone Generator of my own creation on the equipment.

Parts:
T8 UV-C 285nm strip, amazon
Mechanical timer, Dollar Store
Scrap AC cord
18" L x 4" D ABS sewer pipe
End caps
1/4" off line chlorinator black tubing
3/8 brass valve, Harbor Freight
Plastic Tubing fittings, home depot

Device Connections:
AC supply GFIC
Air flow supply and adjustment connected to pump suction side drain port.

Device Tooling and Assembly: approx 3 hours

Super chlorination of 10ppm dichlor, neutral ph

Results: weekly established algae infestation eradicated in 2 1/2 days.

Chemical/Metal Free Permanent Algae Solution:
Cheap homebuilt ozone generator = $40
Sanitizer cost savings = $10 - 15 per week
Happy and Smiling Customer = PRICELESS

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

Ozone works in Spa's/hot tubs that receive no sun.. We still do not recommend them for pools.. Here is a little more info..

One of my clients lives on the west side of Las Vegas in Clark County, on well water, the pool is in constant green algae infestation, algae sporing likely constantly sourcing from the aquifer.

Proposed Solution:
Permission from customer to test an Ozone Generator of my own creation on the equipment.

Parts:
Scrap AC cord
" L x 4" D ABS sewer pipe
End caps

Device Connections:
AC supply GFIC

Proposed Solution:

Parts:
Scrap AC cord
End caps

Device Connections:
AC supply GFIC

Most residential Ozone systems are several thousand dollars (with installation) along with $50 annual tune-up kits and $300 or so every few years for module renewal. On the other hand, a small increase in chlorine removes the need for any additional sanitizers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was one thing I was thinking about the other day (I do a lot of thought exercises)… If I owned a pool care company I would specially in building and installing as part of my subscription a automated stenner pump system for the daily LC dosing and the story by twice a week (once for testing and FC adjustment and once for full service)…

Isn't algecide copper based, so ionizer is just like an automated dosage of algecide to prevent algae blooms? I used to pre treat water routinely so it's less effort with an ionizer. Then UV, same idea just helps kill bacteria and treat water in an automated fashion. Then with a chlorinator and 1 to 1.5ppm of chlorine you're set and the stuff needing to be killed by chlorine is reduced so it works much better and levels stay higher longer without needing frequent liquid chlorine top ups or weekly super chlorination.

Some of you guys are pretty rude, and forget that ppl have asthma or skin irritations and need alternatives no one is talking about no chlorine or even .5 seems way too low yes. Exema and other skin conditions make chlorine harsh too.

Staining from copper occurs when the ppm is too high not at the recommended levels to help treat algae, so if you don't monitor and size it right you will stain yes. But it dissipates so easy to lower if your calculation was off setting the ionizer.

Alot of city and municipal water treatment is now being down with UV and ozone so other technologies has drastically changed over the years.

I've had so much issues with a large pool and algae, chlorine shock, now that I have both systems and balanced my water and keep it at 1.5 ppm chlorine I toss in some oxidizer shock once in a while to help and superchlorinate rarely and its the best my pool has ever been. Crystal clear blue, less maintenance, readings are all good, cover it for days no algae blooms, high bather loads but I'm taking like 150k liters of water...I have done readings on my water and sent it in to a lab for contaminants testing in both cases not just a pool place or drop tests myself and results are better and more stable now too.

My chlorinator and my chlorine shocking couldn't keep up before so I'm happier now and still use chlorine I think everyone agrees its the most cost effective and safest way to sanitize the water but I disagree with alot of the feedback here.

I have a big pool, do pool parties, have trees so organics fall in often, it's more automation and helps chlorine do its job better...not sure why ppl are so against it. I also run my pump 24/7 and pool is only open a third of the year due to winter, without circulation UV / OZONE / IONIZATION isn't as useful just like an autochlorinstor isn't pool needs to be circulating.

Reactions: Kelmuck
Isn't algecide copper based, so ionizer is just like an automated dosage of algecide to prevent algae blooms? I used to pre treat water routinely so it's less effort with an ionizer. Then UV, same idea just helps kill bacteria and treat water in an automated fashion. Then with a chlorinator and 1 to 1.5ppm of chlorine you're set and the stuff needing to be killed by chlorine is reduced so it works much better and levels stay higher longer without needing frequent liquid chlorine top ups or weekly super chlorination.

Some of you guys are pretty rude, and forget that ppl have asthma or skin irritations and need alternatives no one is talking about no chlorine or even .5 seems way too low yes. Exema and other skin conditions make chlorine harsh too.

Staining from copper occurs when the ppm is too high not at the recommended levels to help treat algae, so if you don't monitor and size it right you will stain yes. But it dissipates so easy to lower if your calculation was off setting the ionizer.

Alot of city and municipal water treatment is now being down with UV and ozone so other technologies has drastically changed over the years.

I've had so much issues with a large pool and algae, chlorine shock, now that I have both systems and balanced my water and keep it at 1.5 ppm chlorine I toss in some oxidizer shock once in a while to help and superchlorinate rarely and its the best my pool has ever been. Crystal clear blue, less maintenance, readings are all good, cover it for days no algae blooms, high bather loads but I'm taking like 150k liters of water...I have done readings on my water and sent it in to a lab for contaminants testing in both cases not just a pool place or drop tests myself and results are better and more stable now too.

My chlorinator and my chlorine shocking couldn't keep up before so I'm happier now and still use chlorine I think everyone agrees its the most cost effective and safest way to sanitize the water but I disagree with alot of the feedback here.

I have a big pool, do pool parties, have trees so organics fall in often, it's more automation and helps chlorine do its job better...not sure why ppl are so against it. I also run my pump 24/7 and pool is only open a third of the year due to winter, without circulation UV / OZONE / IONIZATION isn't as useful just like an autochlorinstor isn't pool needs to be circulating.
The point of this sites methodology is that if you sanitize the water correctly with balanced CYA levels the chlorine won’t irritate people’s skin, won’t need weekly “shocking” and won’t ever get any algae. People are against the gimmicks because they’ve been down those paths before and been burned by them.

Funny that one of the treatments for eczema is a chlorine bath with much higher active chlorine levels than you'll ever find in a TFPC pool. In fact, since low chlorine pools allow contaminates and byproducts to build up, I'd say those pools that cause actual problems for people with skin conditions. Been more than a few people who have said that TFPC pools were the only pools they or their families could swim in.

Bottom line is that you've been on TFP for over five years but refuse to even attempt to manage your water to TFPC. You're doing so much work to get the system you think is superior to work right (lab testing?!? what a waste of time and money!) when you've got a great system right in front of you. You dumped tablets and powder shock in the pool and it didn't work. We could have helped you, but you decided dumping some metals in to your water and getting expensive and unnecessary lights added to your system was the best way to go about it.

And then you come here to ask our opinion about it. And instead of actually listening to what we have to say you ignore your own thread for two whole months and then come back angry that people are "rude" because we laugh at laughable claims and try to warn you that it's junk??? Look, if you want to ask for an opinion you're going to get one. You want to run whatever wiz-bang system on your personal pool? Have it it bud. Want positive feedback on a device that is inferior to our system and costs several times more to operate? Plenty of FB groups that would love to join you in complaining about how close-minded we are. You'll know them by the disgustingly green pool they use as their group picture.

Last edited:
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

And exactly how does metal/copper dissipate?? The only way to get all metals out of pools is to drain the pool completely...

Proposed Solution:

Parts:
Scrap AC cord
End caps

Device Connections:
AC supply GFIC

Entire post = WORTHLESS.

Everything about this post is nonsense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.