Investing in SWG. 34000gal liner pool, adding variable speed pump. Which SWG?

kfinke

Aug 28, 2017
Cincinnati,OH
From all the great stuff I've read here, the idea seems to be to oversize the SWG, especially when combined with a VS pump. I saw numbers as high as 1.5 to 3 times oversize on the SWG, so that's almost 50K. I was thinking about the CircuPool RJ-60 or RJ-60+.

Perhaps paired with the CircuPool SmartFlo® Variable Speed Pool Pump - 1.5

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

k,

Not sure about the pump, but without automation you are free to choose any SWCG that you want. We see some pretty good feedback on the CircuPool RJ units here on TFP...

I personally would go with a larger VS pump, but then again, it is not my money...:p Just like it is pretty hard to go too big with a SWCG or filter, it is also impossible to go too big with a VS pump.. (Within reason of course...)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I just installed a new VS pump and SWG together last weekend. I went with Pureline products because (1) the price was right and (2) the Pureline 2.7HP VS pump uses the VGreen 270 motor, which has an aux power control, to which you can hook up the SWG. Doing this let me assign both a minimum flow and max run time to the SWG. Lastly, you do not have to have it professionally installed to retain the warranty.

For what its worth!

Thanks for the info! I found the pump you're referring to, but not the SWG. Even though my pump now is a 1.5hp, you're saying I should consider a larger VS pump? What's the reasoning there? Also, secondary question. My pump is currently glued into the PVC plumbing. There's no unions on either the supply or filter side. I'm going to have someone work on that, but it probably means some digging, etc. However, looks to me like I could leave the pump body alone and replace the motor. How would one know if a motor would mate up to the existing pump reservoir?

20180417_182450.jpg

Having trouble uploading pics! Guess we're not allowed very much room. I resized them but still blowing quota.

- - - Updated - - -

Pump says HST150. Replacement for ST1102/UST1152.

So, I still don't understand why I would want/need a larger VS pump. If 1.5 does it now, and the point of a VS pump is to run at lower power and less flow, then why a bigger VS pump? If I had to guess on the TDH, I would say ~40. At 70GPM for a 34K pool to cycle in 8 hours.

Attachments

• 20180417_182458.jpg
    20180417_182458.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.