Introduction

Los Indios

Jul 8, 2021
Hill Country Texas
Hello everyone! We have a newly built (3 months old) 12,000 gal., Diamondbrite plaster pool with a cartridge filter. I’m not new to pools. At a previous home, we had a 20,000 gal. plaster pool. Used tricolor pucks in an inline chlorinator religiously and never had an algae problem In 11 years. With that being said, the pool was in West Texas where there is dirt constantly blowing in the air, so the pool was backwashed frequently. I suppose I backwashed the CYA out of the pool where I always had an acceptable level. The new pool is in the Texas hill country near Kerrville. After 3 months of tricolor use, my CYA is 90! Yikes! This is the reason I found this site. I have switched to liquid chlorine 12% and removed the pucks. I am in the process of draining the pool. Since it is new plaster, I have been draining it down to the bottom of the tile and refilling for the past 2 days. I do have the Taylor 2006 test kit. Does anyone know if I can drain the pool lower without hurting the plaster? Maybe doing it in the evening without the sun shining on the plaster?