Introduction

Danielle77

Jun 1, 2020
Howell, NJ
Hi Everyone,

We bought a home in NJ this winter and have what I believe to be a 16x32 in ground pool with a vinyl liner. This is the first time owning a pool and we know nothing LOL. We have a pool company coming to do an opening this weekend. I purchased a Dolphin Pool cleaner and the Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C. Anything else we may need or want to have on hand? Look forward to learning all about maintaining and enjoying our pool!

Thanks
Danielle

Welcome to TFP Danielle! You are off to a good start with a robot and that test kit. :goodjob: Have you checked out the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry? I'm guessing so since you were ahead of the game and have your proper test kit.

Welcome to TFP Danielle! You are off to a good start with a robot and that test kit. :goodjob: Have you checked out the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry? I'm guessing so since you were ahead of the game and have your proper test kit.
Thank you! A little bit! I was looking through and saw that test kit and took notes on getting regular bleach, borax and baking soda! I will report back once we are open Saturday, hopefully without issue lol

No need to buy borax or baking soda. Most folks don't need them. You'll need a source of FC (depending on how you are chlorinating) and probably muriatic acid and most likely CYA (stabilizer).

Start a thread in Testing and Balancing Your Water and post up test results as soon as you have them.

No need to buy borax or baking soda. Most folks don't need them. You'll need a source of FC (depending on how you are chlorinating) and probably muriatic acid and most likely CYA (stabilizer).

Start a thread in Testing and Balancing Your Water and post up test results as soon as you have them.
I thought the BBB method was used mostly here. I've been using the Borax to increase PH and used the Baking Soda to increase the TA

BBB is an old moniker we used. We transitioned to Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC). What is TFPC? - Trouble Free Pool The reason is that many folks would stock up on borax, baking soda and bleach and not need several of them. TFPC is the same concept but without the potential confusion - and it better encompasses the whole process. The vast majority of people having rising pH versus falling pH, so they never need Borax (count me as one - no Borax in 7 years). And TA adjustment is often not necessary. It's more of a secondary level. If you have other issues like rapidly rising pH, then lowering your TA will help that. We generally don't have people try to hit a TA number.

So the concept is the same regarding using generic or household chemicals to adjust your pool based on self-testing, but the name changed to better reflect the process.