Introduction

scott_zurcher

May 21, 2019
Meadville, PA, USA
I live in northwestern PA and I am a 2ndyear pool owner. Just opened it this past weekend and the water is in pretty good shape. Just have to do some sweeeping and general cleaning. We have a 24' AGP. I am looking for advice mostly on chemical balance in the pool and keeping it as cheap and easy as possible. Fro what I have seen itlookslikei will need to invest in a high quality test kit. Right now I'm still using the test strips that came with our pool. I do take our water to get tested at our local pool store. One thing that has worked for us is using pool magnet to get the metal out of our water. I had to top off our pool and well water is our only option. When we had the pool put in last year we added our start up chemicals and the water instantly turned cloudy and greenish. The metals in the water reacted with the metals in the well water we filled it with and they had to be removed. The current measurements I received from our local pool store are:

pH: 7.2
TA: 72
TH: 95
TDS: 400
FC: 3.3
TC: 3.9
CYA: 32

They recommended 1.25qt of Pool Magnet Plus (I already added this because I know we have high levels on metal in our water-is there an alternative to this?
13.5lbs of Balance PAK 100 - which is baking soda I think.
.5lbs of Lo 'N Slo
1 bag of BurnOut 73 (shock I think)
8oz of Back Up 2

What should I add? Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance for the help and pointers.

Welcome to the forum!
You are right, you need a proper test kit. We recommend the TF100 -- Test Kits Compared
IF the tests are near correct, you did not need to add any baking soda. The TA reported is fine.
I have no idea what those other potions are. Use liquid chlorine. I suggest 5 ppm FC worth each evening until you get your test kit.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.