Intex Ultra Frame rusted out in one year

beggehorn

Sep 14, 2015
Azusa, CA
Hi all

After reading several threads here on other users who have experienced rust issues with their Intex pools, I felt I should share our recent experience.

My wife and I originally bought a used 15' Intex Metal Frame pool with an Intex Salt system about four years ago to put up in our backyard here in sunny Southern California. It had been used for at least a couple seasons before we picked it up. We used it for three more seasons, actually only taking it down the first year and then opting to keep it up year round for the two years after that. We loved it so much that last spring (2017) we decided to pour a 17' round concrete pad, patio and landscape the surrounding area with river rock. We also splurged and bought a brand new Intex 16' round Ultra Frame pool and installed the Hayward skimmer. Earlier this year I went ahead and did a 100% hard plumb with rigid and flex PVC to connect the 2650gph sand filter we had upgraded to a couple years ago.

This is what our pool looked like last summer:

Throughout the past year this pool has been up, we started noticing bubbling paint and rust forming at the edges of the horizontal beams and especially at the bottom of the verticals. Being beyond the 90 days that Intex warranties the parts for, there was little we could do. We crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, about a month ago, we came outside to find two of the legs had completely rusted through and separated from their base and all of the others with similar amounts of rust just waiting to separate:

Needless to say, we are very disappointed in the fact that we "upgraded" our pool and it has only lasted one year compared to the used Metal Frame we purchased that lasted at least 5 years.

We contacted Intex for help and the best they could do was to direct us to the support page to order new legs. After conferring with my wife, we decided to swallow the loss and go ahead and order replacement legs. We found some posts on this forum where one user had used Silicone tape to wrap all the connections and decided we'd try the same this time around.

At Intex's spare parts page (Search results for: 'vertical leg' - Intex), I searched for "vertical leg" and found 22 results, only one of which matched the model and size of our pool:

Vertical Leg for Round Ultra Frame Pools - Intex.

We went ahead and made the order for 16 new legs, disappointed that we were paying more than half of what this pool cost us brand new (inc. tax and shipping).

When they arrived (and
after draining our pool to about 16")

we attempted to install them. We quickly discovered that these legs didn't fit. When we called Intex, they said the leg design had changed (apparently within the year) and the part number we needed to order was not available to order from the website but needed to be ordered by phone. To add insult to injury, they insisted that they would not accommodate an exchange unless we paid return shipping and that we'd have to make a new order to get the legs we needed (of course paying shipping again for the new order). Since we only live 30 miles or so from the returns address, I even offered to drop off the return in person but they declined, insisting that they don't accept returns directly from customers.

Needless to say, I demanded to speak to a supervisor who finally called us back several days later. After explaining our situation again, he admitted he understood why we were frustrated and said it wasn't our fault that we ordered the wrong parts since we were directed to the parts page with no advisement that the part we actually needed would not be listed. There isn't even a notice or warning listed on the page that would have prompted us to be sure these would work with our year old pool. (I've seen this information listed for certain other items but not this one.)

All this being said, this post is not meant to be a rant but instead to be another warning to others to temper their expectations of Intex both in terms of product quality as well as their customer support. I've seen others comments about this company and also have come across the numerous other posts questioning the quality of the materials they are currently using. The resources available here at this website are amazing and hopefully this info about our experience will be useful to others.

In the end, we came across a bargain on another new Intex 16' Ultra Frame (paying only slightly more for a whole new pool than we had paid for the incorrect legs) so we decided to try again, using the new frame parts and saving the liner, pump, ladder, etc. as spares. It feels wrong continuing to support this company but based on our investments in the upgrades we've done we decided this would be the best decision for us. This time we'll be wrapping EVERYTHING with silicone tape and crossing our fingers that we will at least get a few years out of this additional investment. Our long term plan is to start saving for a resin pool!

sounds like they are using cheaper metal or thinner paint both to cut costs and raising profits along with raising the price of the pool...

I posted about my little 12 foot intex prism frame. I noticed rust on it the first time we got in for a swim. It had been up and filled about 3 weeks before we got in. It was rusted at almost every T, where the uprights attach. It's a lot worse now. I do have a salt system, but from reading on here, it seems the Ph is more detrimental. My water chemistry has always been spot on too. 3200 ppm of salt and Ph has been maintained at 7.4, occasionally up to 7.6. I think it's cheaper quality material. Thankfully, this pool was bought as a 2 year temporary pool until I upgrade to a permanent.

We had the same issue with our newly purchased (upgraded design) Intex Ultra Frame 16' in 2017... our previous ultrframe lasted 5+ years, had very little rust on just a couple of places, but had a completely faded out liner. Within 1 month we had rust on quite a few of the poles around the top. Intex told us that if it was one or two poles, they would send out replacements under warranty, but because we had 10+ poles with rust showing, they wouldn't be able to do anything! We had that pool up and operational for 4 months total. Took it down, and was shocked at the amount of rust in the legs (not sure how the pool didn't collapse on us!). Dried it all, and stored it away in the garage for the winter. The rust continued and half of the legs had sheets of rust falling out of them when we pulled them down from storage this spring. We decided up upgrade size to the 18' this year and went with a Coleman that did not have Intex's newest upgraded leg design. 3 months in this summer and no rust as of yet.

This is the design that we had (and my brother in law also had problems with) that rusts out quickly
53658806-2ae3-4303-9515-339fd7b3a542_1.5c3433e861a46015300d4dc0302f6fdf.jpeg

this is the older style that lasted us over 5 years
75b48d7d-1172-4ded-996e-5192ec383bc0_1.43296405b1be12d42e704c6d645b3453.jpeg

Reactions: canashar
so, from what i am reading is that Intex has really dropped in design. is Coleman better with it's design? i am going to be purchasing a new pool next year and i was going to buy an Intex, but after reading it looks like Intex may not be the way to go. i really wanted to go with the 18' but with Coleman it has that new wicker design and the leaky windows. so now i am torn on which way to go.

so, from what i am reading is that Intex has really dropped in design. is Coleman better with it's design? i am going to be purchasing a new pool next year and i was going to buy an Intex, but after reading it looks like Intex may not be the way to go. i really wanted to go with the 18' but with Coleman it has that new wicker design and the leaky windows. so now i am torn on which way to go.

We are on month 4 of the new Coleman with the windows... so far not a spec of rust, and no leaky windows.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i would look at making a separation between the concrete and the metal posts to avoid a reaction
Wood bases or rubber or plastic

might be worth a try

We had the same issue with our newly purchased (upgraded design) Intex Ultra Frame 16' in 2017... our previous ultrframe lasted 5+ years, had very little rust on just a couple of places, but had a completely faded out liner. Within 1 month we had rust on quite a few of the poles around the top. Intex told us that if it was one or two poles, they would send out replacements under warranty, but because we had 10+ poles with rust showing, they wouldn't be able to do anything! We had that pool up and operational for 4 months total. Took it down, and was shocked at the amount of rust in the legs (not sure how the pool didn't collapse on us!). Dried it all, and stored it away in the garage for the winter. The rust continued and half of the legs had sheets of rust falling out of them when we pulled them down from storage this spring. We decided up upgrade size to the 18' this year and went with a Coleman that did not have Intex's newest upgraded leg design. 3 months in this summer and no rust as of yet.

This is the design that we had (and my brother in law also had problems with) that rusts out quickly
View attachment 83839

this is the older style that lasted us over 5 years
View attachment 83840

I had a 16' Intex Ultraframe for 5 years. I always took it down in the winter. After 5 years it had some rust so we decided to upgrade to the 22' Coleman version which was clearly made by the same company. This pool rusted almost immediately and after the second year was complete trash and I am shocked it did not collapse. Both of these pools had the "older style" you pictured above. I agree with others, they clearly cheaped out significantly on the materials used.

i would look at making a separation between the concrete and the metal posts to avoid a reaction
Wood bases or rubber or plastic

might be worth a try

Originally, we had the poles sitting on the XPS foam which really started to flatten over the course of the year. We just got our replacement today and have already bought some dark gray clay bricks to put under the new legs. We'll be cutting out notches in the foam to accommodate them.

This is concerning to me as well. We have been rocking an easy set 18’ the last 4 years. Best $300 we ever spent! We have plans to pour a pad in our back yard and instal the 18’x32’ Intex ultra but if they are all rusting out I’m not so sure? Is this just a random problem or all newer pools having these problems?

The metal frame pools are made with thicker metal than the ultra frame. In our experience, our metal frame did show signs of rust on the bottom of the legs but the heavier gauge helped ward of failure for much longer than the ultra frame (like at least five times as long)

Looking at our rusted legs, it appears that the real damage occurs from the inside out. Water seemed to have entered at the top where the push button locks the legs to the "T" joint. It then runs down the leg and collects and sits in the inside of the plastic cup. There is a hole (assuming for drainage) but I'm sure surface tension kept water stuck around the bottom of the leg and evaporation was slowed.

We've got our new legs installed now and wrapped at both the top and bottom with self fusing silicone tape, completely covering the hole and push button lock at the top. This should help keep water out of the legs and cups all together.

I saw another user here who posted about some adapters he's fabricated that allows him to replace the metal frame poles with standard round galvanized pipe. If I were starting over, I'd probably consider going metal frame (not ultra) and when the time came to replace rusted poles, go with his "upgrade".

I installed our new Intex metal frame in May. The metal is definitely not thick! Paper thin really. Anyway it's already rusting! There is rust on the outside that I can treat but there is lots of rust coming from the inside too. It's in the T sections and the poles. The metal is so thin it probably won't last for next year.
Unbelievably poor quality!

Upon reflection I recall the inside of the tubes and T sections were bare metal. Painting all the internal surfaces probably would help a lot. However when the joints flex they scrape the paint and rust starts there...the metal is so cheap and thin it can't handle much rust before becoming structurally compromised.

My winter project will be to fabricate my own frame out of quality galvanized steel. Only the T section requires fabrication, the rest is straight pipe.

I wouldn't recommend this pool to anyone given it only lasts one year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.