Intex SWG issues/parts - Moving forward recomendations

mag1

Jun 9, 2014
Greenville, Wi
Hi all. I have been running the typical intex above ground ultra pools for a number of years now. I live in Wisconsin, so we normally only get 3-4-4 months of use based on our yard for pool temps. My issues are with my latest intex Krystal Clear saltwater system. it was purchased on 6/1/18, used for 2 summers, and last year, it started giving me the high salt codes. i never had any issues with my previous intex salt water setups. but I had put a new pump on, and sand filter, so I went with a stand along intex swg. I drained 1/2 the pool, reset the all levels, and still get the codes. I had wanted to get a replacement electrode, but due to covid, or who knows, I could not find one, still can't a year later. I sent numerous emails to intex, tried calling, but still can't get thru.

Any ideas? do I just give up and buy a hayward setup, or one of the others? I just figured out the correct gallons on this pool (18'x52" deep = 6981gallons per intex) So I believe I should be looking for a 15,000 gallon unit minimum. Any other input? the intex was easy, just buy and go, used to be relatively cheap, but their prices have doubled since I bought my last unit. I had hoped not to have to spend a ton, but it looks like that might be the way to go. Thanks for any guidance provided in advance.

Last edited:
Yep. they are easy but very hard to find now.... 4 months a year is a hard sell for a full fledged SWG but it may be the best answer you have... Right now you could get an SJ 45 for 800 SJ 35 for 700 and last you well over 10 years with your use... I have gotten 7 years out of mine and it is still going and I run it 9 months a year at 7 FC....

You would need to change over to hard pipe but it can be done easily.. The SJ runs on 110 or 220 so that is a bonus... You would only need to run it about 6 hours a day like mine, maybe less...

Add a 1hp 2 speed pump and you will be good to go :)

Thanks for the input. I would rather spend a little more and get something that I know will work over time. The intex pumps I have had may last only 2-3 yrs, same for the swg as well. I allready have an aftermarket 2 speed pump, that is working nicely. I will look into the circupool swg’s.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thanks for the input. I would rather spend a little more and get something that I know will work over time. The intex pumps I have had may last only 2-3 yrs, same for the swg as well. I allready have an aftermarket 2 speed pump, that is working nicely. I will look into the circupool swg’s.
One more question, so the way i figure it, my pool is roughly 7K gallons. If I got an swg that can handle 15-16K is that all I would need, or is it better to go to a 20K unit? Thanks

It is all about run time.... :) If a 7k SWG makes enough chlorine in 24 hours you have to run it 24 hours... So 2 times at 14k you have to run 12 or so hours, at 3 times you have to run about 6 to 8 hours... at 4 times you have to run 3 to 4 hours...

So if you can buy an SJ 45 at $800 and run it 3 hours a day to get the chlorine you need your SWG will last 10 to 15 years, 10,000 hours total.. That is a MAJOR cost saving and that is not even considering you only have to run your pump those 3 hours, now you also saving electricity...

$800 divided by 15 years it would cost 53 dollars a year for your chlorine... now that is cost saving, this is only your first cell, your second cell is a way better deal... :)

click the add SJ45 for 10 dollars more

No need to go crazy. 2X pool capacity is perfect
Especially in Wisconsin. The super hot climates may appreciate a larger unit during the highest demand of the season but yours will be chugging along at a low % runtime without those demands.

However, the larger capacity units don’t equate dollar for dollar with the size. Going up a size usually gets around 50% more runtime (and hence lifespan) but only costs around 20% more. So going bigger can be even friendlier on the wallet in the long term. The initial buy in is the expensive part.

Just ordered the sj-35. Now the work begins. I need to move the pool over about 4’. I have a maple tree that is next to the pool that blocks a lot of the sun. The pool stays pretty cool all summer. 72 even when hot, most of the summer it seems to 68 or less. Lol. The 4’ move will increase the light a lot, house blocks light some to. Do you guys recommend hard plumbing? Any big differences in hard ha the flex hose? I do take the system down and put in the garage for the winter. How do you place you swg setups also? Thanks for any direction.

The SJ 35 is hard pipe and I do believe it will come with a 1.5 and 2 inch unions so you could use both size pipe... the controller will have to be installed within about 4 to 5 feet, that is the length of the cell power wire...

I leave my system out just winterize.. with unions on everything I suppose you could still bring everything in...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep. they are easy but very hard to find now.... 4 months a year is a hard sell for a full fledged SWG but it may be the best answer you have... Right now you could get an SJ 45 for 800 SJ 35 for 700 and last you well over 10 years with your use... I have gotten 7 years out of mine and it is still going and I run it 9 months a year at 7 FC....

You would need to change over to hard pipe but it can be done easily.. The SJ runs on 110 or 220 so that is a bonus... You would only need to run it about 6 hours a day like mine, maybe less...

https://www.discountsaltpool.com/sp...upool-sj35a-salt-chlorine-generator [/QUOTE]
Good evening... i've learned quiet a bit in this thread, so thank you.
I'm a newbie that just ordered a Intex 16' x 48" (5,100 gal) pool but want to upgrade the equipment, so if you don't mind, I will like to piggie back off of this thread since you mentioned some products I was thinking of getting. I was actually looking at getting the circupool universal 25 or even maybe one their other models like the sj or rj What are your thoughts? is it even worth since the pool is so small?
Also want to upgrade to the intex 3000gph .75 HP pump and sand filter combo that they offer but thought of upgrading that pump also to the speck a91 that you mentioned. Is it worth it? will we really ever use the 2 speed or will it be like a set it and forget and just use the same speed all the time? what's your experience been like? or is there a better sand filter I should get instead of the intex one, cause that's basically all i'll be using it for since i'll upgrade the pump. Any other thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Good evening... i've learned quiet a bit in this thread, so thank you.
I'm a newbie that just ordered a Intex 16' x 48" (5,100 gal) pool but want to upgrade the equipment, so if you don't mind, I will like to piggie back off of this thread since you mentioned some products I was thinking of getting. I was actually looking at getting the circupool universal 25 or even maybe one their other models like the sj or rj What are your thoughts? is it even worth since the pool is so small?
Also want to upgrade to the intex 3000gph .75 HP pump and sand filter combo that they offer but thought of upgrading that pump also to the speck a91 that you mentioned. Is it worth it? will we really ever use the 2 speed or will it be like a set it and forget and just use the same speed all the time? what's your experience been like? or is there a better sand filter I should get instead of the intex one, cause that's basically all i'll be using it for since i'll upgrade the pump. Any other thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

It is worth upgrading if you are going to be keeping the pool.. I love the SJ and they work great.. A 16 foot at about 45 inch's is about 5500 gallons, so a SWG at 2 to 4 times is the SJ 20 and for 1 dollar more you can have the SJ 35... It will last you for years running at 25% you would only have to run your pump about 4 to 8 hours..

The pump is interesting, It is a way better pump and will last much longer... I am not sure how much you will use the higher speed.. I used my high speed about 15% of the time and used low the rest... Low is where your saving the money and skimming and creating chlorine... Put it this way, in 2 to 3 years you will probably have to buy another intex pump when it dies, so how much will 2 intex pumps cost compared to 1 real pump? at $399 for a 2 speed 1 hp is a great deal and the cost of the Intex with the sand filter right now is $700 dollars..

This 18 inch hayward sand filter is on sale right now for $289.. https://smile.amazon.com/Hayward-W3S180T-ProSeries-18-Inch-Top-Mount/dp/B07SS48CCX

So for the price of the intex you can have a real pump and filter that will last you..

Perfect :)

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.