Intex Sand Filter, still having an issue with pollen

Momofthreema

Apr 27, 2020
Massachusetts
Hi All, we opened the sand filter last night after having flow issues...it basically works for 15 minutes then quits. We have very high pollen, it was caked on top of the sand...we scraped off that layer, added more sand and it worked better last night. I added a pool sock over the poolside skimmer, but we’re still losing flow. I can’t seem to find anything about this on google, and I am just feeling super frustrated. Do you think we got a bad pump? It’s less than a month old direct from the manufacturer.

OK -- can you fill out your signature? The pool size, type, equipment, etc helps us help you.

Can you let us know what equipment you have? Your signature being filled out is a great help.

Basic, small, under-powered Intex pump/filter systems are not designed to handle significant solids. You may just be overwhelming it.

I doubt a pool tech will do much more than backwash it. But up to you.

Do you have pool water chemistry test results? What does the water look like (other than the pollen)?

Can you let us know what equipment you have? Your signature being filled out is a great help.

Basic, small, under-powered Intex pump/filter systems are not designed to handle significant solids. You may just be overwhelming it.

I doubt a pool tech will do much more than backwash it. But up to you.
I just added the signature
12x24x52 Intext XTR
2100 Gph sand filter

Is the volume of that pool 8000 gallons? Is it oval or rectangular? Volume in the signature is a plus.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We’ve just really been worrying about the free chlorine, ph and alkalinity...those are all in normal ranges. Is there a chemical rating that would help us with this?
A basic test kit and process is fine if this pool volume is 3000 gallons or under. You would then just drain it whenever your water turns cloudy or algae appears. But if your pool is of larger volume, you need to properly manage the chemistry.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

A basic test kit and process is fine if this pool volume is 3000 gallons or under. You would then just drain it whenever your water turns cloudy or algae appears. But if your pool is of larger volume, you need to properly manage the chemistry.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Thank you...we have the taylor 2006 kit and we have been using chlorine tabs in a floater...the chlorine levels have been around 3ppm consistently, and the PH around 7.2, and the alkalinity around 80...the stabilizer has been in the low range...but I thought that would mean we just might need more chlorine?

Ok. You have it filled to proper level, and were cautious about pouring around the upright, correct? Do you find any sand coming into pool from the return?

Reactions: Momofthreema
Ok. You have it filled to proper level, and were cautious about pouring around the upright, correct? Do you find any sand coming into pool from the return?
Yup, we were careful filling it around the cap...a little sand came in because my husband forgot to rinse it before the restart after the top
Off last night. But the filter problem was happening before that.

I kinda want to see what is happening right after you backwash and then rinse. Does your pressure gradually increase, shoot up suddenly, is there air in the pump, etc.? All valves are open?

Reactions: Momofthreema

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.