Intex plunger valves, adapters, connections (oh my!)

Wndy

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2021
NY - Lower Hudson Valley
Pool Size
Hello, I am pleased to say my therapy pool successfully holds water!
All specs are in my signature.

Next big task is getting plumbing and equipment hooked up correctly before we end up with a large vat of green goo.

I am 99% sure our problem is us; there is that 1% chance we are missing parts. We are also waiting for a reply from Fitmax.

I have searched the forum. There are several threads about the plunger valves; have not found anything to address our specific problem.

The connection between the plunger valve and hose adapter leaks. We are using plumber's tape on all threads.

First curiosity, the plunger valve and hose adapter are the same size (female to female).

Next issue, the dark gray band (threaded cuff) on the plunger valve easily tightens past the threads on the hose adapter. Yellow arrow on first photo.

It seems like there should be a coupling insert between the 2 pieces.

Any suggestions or ideas?

20210828_182709.jpg20210830_123316.jpg

Attachments

• 20210830_123330.jpg
    20210830_123330.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 1
I don't have that set-up, but I can't help but notice in many of the pools I was looking at below, they didn't use the straight intake valve with the plunger. The plunger valve connected directly to the pool adapter. :scratch: Maybe @jseyfert3 can help us out?

Below are some threads about what I mean and even an idea if you just wish to not use them later.

Reactions: Wndy
What you have pictured looks very similar to a number of Intex fittings. It is essentially a butt joint between the valve and the other piece. Zooming in on the pictures it appears there is some sort of rubber gasket on the end? This is correct for this joint, and what seals the joint. Normally it’s on one side of the joint and not both, but being on both shouldn’t matter.

The threads are straight threads. They should not be difficult to tighten, and do not need tape. In fact tape may make it difficult to tighten properly and help lead to leaks. With the straight threads and the gasket the threads are not what seals the joint which is why tape isn’t needed. The threads just bring the two pieces together and squeeze the gasket between the two pieces which is what actually seals the joint.

Have you lubricated the rubber O rings with a Teflon lubricant? I would stay away from petroleum based ones like Vaseline. Also not all Teflon tape is created equal. I only use Blue Monster. The next picture with the valve and the adapter shows (2) O rings. I have not seen or used this sort of connection and would think this is where the leak is coming from. Have you maybe tried to remove (1)? Also the picture with the arrow shows you are using a pool cuff connection. These are not really meant for pressure and is probably going to be your weak link in the future. I would duplicate what you did on the other line.

I don't have that set-up, but I can't help but notice in many of the pools I was looking at below, they didn't use the straight intake valve with the plunger. The plunger valve connected directly to the pool adapter. :scratch: Maybe @jseyfert3 can help us out?

Below are some threads about what I mean and even an idea if you just wish to not use them later.

Thank you, it is very helpful having all these links in one place.

Reactions: Texas Splash
What you have pictured looks very similar to a number of Intex fittings. It is essentially a butt joint between the valve and the other piece. Zooming in on the pictures it appears there is some sort of rubber gasket on the end? This is correct for this joint, and what seals the joint. Normally it’s on one side of the joint and not both, but being on both shouldn’t matter.

The threads are straight threads. They should not be difficult to tighten, and do not need tape. In fact tape may make it difficult to tighten properly and help lead to leaks. With the straight threads and the gasket the threads are not what seals the joint which is why tape isn’t needed. The threads just bring the two pieces together and squeeze the gasket between the two pieces which is what actually seals the joint.
Thank you. It is extremely helpful knowing there is not a missing part.

Yes, there are rubber gaskets that butt together; we are using silicone grease on rubber parts.

The dark plastic nut on the plunger valve easily jumps past the threads on the adapter piece. We have tried not using tape and using different amounts of tape; it still fails.

Fitmax responded, they have two suggestions:
1) separate the dark plastic "split" nut and sand down the area where the split nut joins. This will give the nut a tighter diameter. Unfortunately that did not resolve the leak. We will try to sand down more today. I will add a picture later today, because I did not see this tip in other posts.
2) use self sealing silicone tape. We will get some today.

Also looking at a difference style Intex adapter. It has more threads and will not allow the dark plastic split nut to skip past the threads.

I will update once we resolve the problem.

Have you lubricated the rubber O rings with a Teflon lubricant? I would stay away from petroleum based ones like Vaseline. Also not all Teflon tape is created equal. I only use Blue Monster. The next picture with the valve and the adapter shows (2) O rings. I have not seen or used this sort of connection and would think this is where the leak is coming from. Have you maybe tried to remove (1)? Also the picture with the arrow shows you are using a pool cuff connection. These are not really meant for pressure and is probably going to be your weak link in the future. I would duplicate wha

Yes, there are rubber gaskets that butt together; we are using silicone grease on rubber parts.

The dark plastic nut on the plunger valve easily jumps past the threads on the adapter piece. We have tried not using tape and using different amounts of tape; it still fails.

1) separate the dark plastic "split" nut and sand down the area where the split nut joins. This will give the nut a tighter diameter. Unfortunately that did not resolve the leak. We will try to sand down more today. I will add a picture later today, because I did not see this tip in other posts.

Also looking at a difference style Intex adapter. It has more threads and will not allow the dark plastic split nut to skip past the threads.

t you did on the other line.

Have you lubricated the rubber O rings with a Teflon lubricant? I would stay away from petroleum based ones like Vaseline. Also not all Teflon tape is created equal. I only use Blue Monster. The next picture with the valve and the adapter shows (2) O rings. I have not seen or used this sort of connection and would think this is where the leak is coming from. Have you maybe tried to remove (1)? Also the picture with the arrow shows you are using a pool cuff connection. These are not really meant for pressure and is probably going to be your weak link in the future. I would duplicate what you did on the other line.
Hi CT-Steve, Thank you for replying. I agree with you on Teflon tape, blue monster is the best I have used so far. We use silicon grease on all rubber connection points through out the system.

I like your suggestion about removing the white gasket on the plunger valve. The grooves would be able to grip the rubber on the adapter.

Both pool port connections have the same pieces. Only difference is type of hose clamps.

I am not impressed with the style of the cuff adapters either and also feel they are the weakest link in the system.

I really appreciate the feedback. Getting confirmation let's me know we are on the right track.

If the threads are skipping then they either are incompatible thread types or one of them is majorly out of tolerance. This style of fitting on my Intex pool has always been very easy to assemble and get leak free with the parts that came with my pool. For example, the same plunger valve connected to my return fitting, with the same split nut. No tape, nothing else added. Just spin the nut down until the gasket compresses and it's leak free (the water drops you see are leaking out of the air inlet valve, which is a different story).
full

This style of connection is used for the hose to pump, pump to filter, and filter outlet as well on my Intex setup, only in these cases it's a solid, not split nut.
full

The only time I had an issue was when I tried mixing non-Intex parts into the equation. For example, I got a non-Intex adapter to connect the hose to the skimmer. The gasket didn't fit as well or seal as well as the Intex ones. The threads would skip if you tightened too much (unlike all the Intex-only connections).

Did all these parts come with the pool or are you mixing various things together yourself?

From what I can tell they converted the 2 into 1 valve to having 2 independent valves for each intake?

If the threads are skipping then they either are incompatible thread types or one of them is majorly out of tolerance. This style of fitting on my Intex pool has always been very easy to assemble and get leak free with the parts that came with my pool. For example, the same plunger valve connected to my return fitting, with the same split nut. No tape, nothing else added. Just spin the nut down until the gasket compresses and it's leak free (the water drops you see are leaking out of the air inlet valve, which is a different story).
full

This style of connection is used for the hose to pump, pump to filter, and filter outlet as well on my Intex setup, only in these cases it's a solid, not split nut.
full

The only time I had an issue was when I tried mixing non-Intex parts into the equation. For example, I got a non-Intex adapter to connect the hose to the skimmer. The gasket didn't fit as well or seal as well as the Intex ones. The threads would skip if you tightened too much (unlike all the Intex-only connections).

Did all these parts come with the pool or are you mixing various things together yourself?
Thank you for the photos.

The valve and adapter came with the pool and are both Intex. I ordered a different style Intex connector that should resolve the problem. It should arrive before Friday and we will use on both ports. I have no confidence in the cuff style adapter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We received new Intex step-down adapters and a new plunger valve. I will post photos once they are connected and can confirm the problem is resolved.

Our next challenge is the provided union connector between the pump and filter. I will post that under a new thread.

Leaky adapters replaced, no more leaks! Thank you again to everyone who assisted with this problem.

I am attaching photos to show a possible correction for faulty split nuts on the Intex plunger valves; along with the 2 styles of Intex Adapter B.

1) Intex Adapter B comes in two styles; both allow step up from 1.25" to 1.5". Each are shown in the photo below. My pool came with the cuff style, shown on the right. It allows the adapter nut to continue past the threads and the plunger valve nut can also extend past its threads.

After multiple failures, I quickly lost confidence in the cuff style adapter and switched to the style shown on the left side of the photo.

2) photo of new Adapter B installed between pool ports and plunger valves. No leaks!

3 & 4) photos of split nut on the plunger valve. Original problem: The nut on the plunger valve was not getting tight and was jumping past the threads on the cuff style Adapter B. It was recommended to sand the two halves of the split nut (where they screw toghter) to create a tighter circle and also remove any gap in threads at the split.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-220035_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-220035_Chrome.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210907_172043.jpg
    20210907_172043.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210904_162541 (1).jpg
    20210904_162541 (1).jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210904_170547 (1).jpg
    20210904_170547 (1).jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: jseyfert3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.