Intex EasySet sand filter pump UP sizing

joanieCB

Sep 14, 2022
Cocoa Beach FL
I have had an EasySet 15x48 pool (~3700gal) for ~ 5-6 years now with the same 12" intex sand filter pump/saltmaker (system flow rate 1600gph/1280-12,800gal pool size). I am looking to replace it with a separate intex sand filter pump and stand alone - in series - salt maker. My salt maker has not been running for ~ 2 years - cleaning electrodes does not help. This current sand filter does not seem sufficient - never really did but now worse getting older.

I am thinking of upping the size of the intex sand filter to 14" (system flow rate 2150gph/5500-17,200gal pool size) since the intake hose size is the same as well as the outlet hose size . . . so that it is filtering more water/has more suction. Its a really good price right now - cheaper than the smaller pump! Is there anything negative to doing this other than obviously more electricity/costs? I figure I'll be able to run it less hours if it's filtering more water per hour . . . and perhaps my vacuum will work better and may even invest in an auto vacuum.

Thanks, Joanie

Reactions: Mdragger88
No real downside to going bigger especially if you see yourself possibly getting a larger pool in the future.
A separate pump/swg is best for the reasons you have experienced , they don’t generally die at the same time.
It is easy to set them up to run together- just turn the pump on , set the pump timer, then 30 minutes later turn the swg on & set it’s timer to end 30 minutes or more before the pump is scheduled to turn off. It’s a 1 time event unless you want to change the settings or the power is lost.
The mantra for equipment is “get the biggest swg & filter you can & that will fit in your space if your budget allows”.
Basically -
The bigger the filter, the less often you have to clean it.
The bigger the swg, the less you will need to run it so the longer it should live.
Since Swg plates lose their coating that allow them to produce fc as they are used & when cleaned. They have a finite amount of fc that they will produce in their life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.