intex conversion help plz. want to order a pool and get a real pump system.

stringer77

Mar 27, 2020
Gateway Pundit, FL
Hi i wanted to get an intex pool, pool only, and install a better pump system. maybe about a 14 or 16" round model. i dont know anything about pools, just trying to put something together on the cheap. Weve had intex pool kits and the pump is always Crud.

Is this part of what i need to cut the pool to fit 1.5"?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIMRZGS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
what else would i need to get.

any pump or setup recommendations that i can put together for about $200 or less? i am not buying an intex brand pump though. thank you!

The larger the filter (as long as it works well with pump) the less you'll have to clean it. And many people later move up to larger pools so they re-use the same filter again.

Consider it an investment instead of a consumable item.

Maddie :flower:

Is this what you are trying to accomplish?
9WbAL1l.jpg

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
no i was looking into things and it makes alot more sense to get a hayward square skimmer and add a ball valve, and use a minimum 65sf cartridge filter with a 1HP pump. ive never done plumbing but i can look at tell what i need, and see that intex uses proprietary 40mm fittings. anything else i should keep in mind?

im also gonna get a cheap pump cover for it, and mount everything to something awesome. ill use this year after year, and toss the intex pool in the trash after every season. ill get the pool only when it goes on sale on slickdeals or similar dirt cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stringer, if you get a 14' pool, all you need is the standard size Hayward skimmer. You'll want the bigger skimmer if you get a larger pool.

I put a skimmer in my 14' pool last year, and it was easy as pie. A word to the wise, though: be sure you have a pool vinyl repair kit, an Xacto knife, and plenty of silicone caulk. Even though I measured twice, I had to slightly recut my opening and reset my screws. Left holes, which were handled nicely by the vinyl repair kit. And a warning: the plate around the fitting WILL leak. That's why the silicone caulk is so handy!

Good luck on your project! And here's the thread on installing a Hayward skimmer in a vinyl above ground pool.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.