Intex Auto Pool Cleaner: how do i connect to a standard return?

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
I have replaced all hoses with PVC and the intex returns/fittings with standard parts. No intex parts remain except the pool itself. I recently purchased an intex auto pool cleaner (picture attached) that connects to the return.
Has anyone figured out yet how to connect this vacuum to a standard (non intex) return? I've only just looked at it tonight, dug through all my spare parts from converting over from intex to standard and realized I didn't have anything (yet) that will work.

image.jpg

Reactions: LisaKurtzman
looking at the picture it looks to just be a hose clamp on the end. So since you used PVC on your pool why not cut in a new inlet line with a hose barb and valve and leave it connected permanently.

The connection to the return is where the problem lie. It comes with an intex screw on ring that fits only an intex fitting. I'll post a picture when I get home later. I've already got 2 intakes plus the skimmer and 2 returns (the original hole plus 1 I added on the back side of the pool) a venturi fitting on both gets the water circulating really well.
Your suggestion is a good one about installing a dedicated intex fitting for the vacuum and I may do that if I cannot figure out how to make an adapter to fit the standard return fitting

Is this the hose end that you need to somehow attach to your return fitting?
http://www.intexcorp.com/10851.html

Those darn Intex proprietary fittings!! I am hopeful that someone here can come up with a suggestion (or has already done something that worked). If not, what about just replacing the entire hose with one that has a standard fitting on the end that would screw onto the return fitting and just a hose clamp on the vacuum end?

Here's what I did. The hose to the left goes to the Intex robot.
0191418abcfde1461bec87b388d8be42.jpg

Ah, I see what your question is now. You don’t have the Intex large strainer assembly on your return. I’m assuming your fitting on the water side is not threaded? When you get home can you post a photo of your return?

I used a combination of PVC, Hayward and Intex bits on my pool. The return is all 100% Intex. The skimmer is Hayward connected to PVC connected to Intex adapter I made to fit the pump. The plug is Hayward. The second suction is Intex to PVC.

AB0C6235-7626-4269-AC21-E3B5E42EA403.jpg

You could keep your PVC return plumbing from your pump to the pool wall, then replace your fitting with the Intex Large Strainer Assembly. The auto cleaner would then screw on with the gray thing you see in the photo below, that should have come in the box.

All you would need is the Intex Strainer Assembly, a plunger valve, one of the Intex hose nuts like the one in my photo, a 1.5” box adapter, and a short length of 1.5” PVC to attach to your current plumbing with a union.

You could use the pieces mentioned above to plumb a second return to your pool, but I personally wouldn’t want to cut another hole. I leave my auto cleaner attached to return 24/7. I get great circulation because it is roving all over the pool.

5CE1858C-8B5B-447B-8373-B6BA63D247F9.jpg

1C428DF2-99C8-4867-AAA3-99697B872475.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ps. Ignore the bug floating in that second photo!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll get pictures but my point is that I have NO intex parts anymore and the hole size necessary for an intex assembly is different from the hole size necessary for a standard assembly. The inside of the (standard)return is threaded (female) with male threads for the eye itself. The diameter and the threads differ from standard to intex. I'm away from home for the next few hours so I'll post the pictures this evening.
I appreciate your input.

Actually, unless you used something other than standard 1.5” fittings, the Intex LARGE assembly will fit... it is 1.5”. You might be thinking of the 1.25” fittings that come on the smaller Intex pools.

Cant remember the size but a hose barb will fit nice and tight i had to use a little heat to get it in. Will probably be your best option than you dont have to mess with it anymore. Probably $20 in fittings and your done.

Okay, here's what I've found and it works like a charm!
I found this adapter on the internet, went to my local pool supply store and they had it! They didn't have the 2 pack in stock. Only the package in the picture on my table. I didn't need the cone shaped one but this was the only combo they had in stock.
It has the correct threads for the standard return fitting and also for the intex vacuum on the other end.

I am attaching pictures.

20180611_162119.jpg
20180611_192233.jpg
DSCN0911.jpg
DSCN0912.jpg

Perfect!

- - - Updated - - -

It is nice to have shutoff valves if you don’t have them... never know when you might need to isolate part of the system!

kellyfair, I do have shut off valves on everything. I also have unions on all the equipment lines so I can just unscrew them for maintenance. I added a second return on the opposite side of the pool from the skimmer. Placing it so that it blows into the steps to keep them clear of debris. I bent the pvc into a curve that hugs the base of the pool. No 45 or 90 degree bends. Just a gentle curve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.