Intex A/G pool 1-1/4" inlet+outlet FIX, hard 1-1/8" polycarb pipe inserts, CA Title 20 Hayward pump + RX Clear filter 1100gal small salt pool.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Jun 21, 2019
Sunnyvale, Ca
Moved from here.. Inside Diameter of tubes on a Intex pool

I know... 8 year old thread, same question. I am getting 1" and 1-1/8" polycarbonate tubes sent to me to cut into 2-3" long sections to test fit into my little kids 6'x8' metal frame Intex pool with the silly 1.25" OD flexy black rubber inlet/outlet tubes.

Due to Title 20 California law I had to order a way too powerful Hayward 1hp variable speed pump for $200 instead of the 1/2hp single speed that wouldn't push Soo much force to keep popping the 1.25" weak Intex clamp off the black flexi tube.

Anyway seeing how many YouTube videos of people cutting there pools to retorift 1.5" to 40mm Intex inlet/outlet adapter and all these accessories they want to sell you.. figured I better solve this non-sense.

A simple clear acryllic or polycarbonate tube insert (to give a hard surface) to allow the ring-clamp.and any 1.25" diameter pool hose.. fixed.

All these adapters and non standard Intex tubes and clamps, what non sense.

Intex could simply includes few 2-3" long, clear, 1-1/8 OD polycarbonate tube inserts for their 1.25" black flexi-tube inlet/outlets on the pool sidewall. And so many headaches would be solved for attachment of hose and pump.

Stand by, will post results and photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you already have the 1hp pump and intend on keeping it, then perhaps you should get a Hayward standard eye as well. This return has a standard pipe fitting that can be used with standard pvc pipe fittings that you can get at any hardware store. Then you can use some flex hose or hard piping to connect them. I know it's overkill for a small pool, but it may end up being the easiest way.
check out this thread for ideas.

Why can't the standard Intex pump be used? There are at least a dozen Intex pumps that are listed in the databaase.
Title 20 info
pump database

Reactions: PoSiTiVeFLoW
If you already have the 1hp pump and intend on keeping it, then perhaps you should get a Hayward standard eye as well. This return has a standard pipe fitting that can be used with standard pvc pipe fittings that you can get at any hardware store. Then you can use some flex hose or hard piping to connect them. I know it's overkill for a small pool, but it may end up being the easiest way.
check out this thread for ideas.

Why can't the standard Intex pump be used? There are at least a dozen Intex pumps that are listed in the databaase.
Title 20 info
pump database
Hey thanks for the idea. By standard Hayward eye, this is what I thought about... I thought I saw a Hayward one too.
On Amazon I found 'Fibropool Above Ground Return Assembly eyeball jet'

But was going to avoid cutting and going the ring-washer-clamp retrofit, just yet.. on this small kiddoz pool (9 month and 2y/10mo old kids), it's a 6'x8' metal frame Intex. I may consider it after the 4th of July, see pics.

Also, I am keeping the Hayward pump, this is in a Cali townhouse backyard 20'x20' zone , so the small Intex pump I tried was hella LOUD. I just sent it back...
The Hayward works great and if I move out of the Bay to a bigger house (likely needed in a few years) then this setup goes with me.

I had the 1.25" clear intex tubes + steel ring clamps... pressure was too much pops off the intake. Silly flexy black inlet/outlet tubes. So I foolishly bought the Type B intex adapters, that clamp not any stronger, also pops off. So, I was left with two choices a.) cut the small pool and modify with eyelet inlet/outlet with 1.5" hoses b.) cut small clear tube / pipe insert with 1" to 1-1/8" O.D., about 3" long to allow me easy insert and make the ring-clamp have a strong surface, like the nice adapters already mounted to the Hayward there.

I went with option b.) less Amazon returns, but I may go nuclear and hit option a.) with the eyelets - TBH I would have done this first had i known. I'm a good engineer, but pools and plumbing I'm just now learning the ways of the Intex...

As you can see - with my current setup, I should return the Intex Type B adapters + 40mm screw on Intex hoses, once I get the hard tube inserts into the pool inlet/outlet and use the simple 1.25" hose + 2 ring-clamps - how I'll have hard tube to clamp on both the pool and pump.

Attachments

• IMG_20190619_165838602_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190619_165838602_HDR.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20190619_165854419.jpg
    IMG_20190619_165854419.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20190622_145230366.jpg
    IMG_20190622_145230366.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190622_145238435_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190622_145238435_HDR.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 77
Yeah, that 1hp pump looks HUGE on that pool, lol.
I know you wanted to go without cutting in a new eye, but sometimes it's just easier. You could use an existing return and cut it to fit the new return eye. I found this eye on Amazon for $6. Then you could hard pipe it or get a couple of hoses that fit as well. Hardly seems worth the trouble to try to find 20 piece to adapt it all to fit, none of which are actually made to fit.
Are you installing any kind of filter?
Also, you have a 2 speed motor right? Above you say variable speed, but it has just a High/OFF/Low switch correct?

Yeah, that 1hp pump looks HUGE on that pool, lol.
I know you wanted to go without cutting in a new eye, but sometimes it's just easier. You could use an existing return and cut it to fit the new return eye. I found this eye on Amazon for $6. Then you could hard pipe it or get a couple of hoses that fit as well. Hardly seems worth the trouble to try to find 20 piece to adapt it all to fit, none of which are actually made to fit.
Are you installing any kind of filter?
Also, you have a 2 speed motor right? Above you say variable speed, but it has just a High/OFF/Low switch correct?
Haha, yeah it will double as a night jacuzzi (if I put a jet nozzle on it) as you suggest!

I'll check the eye you sent me, thanks! Yeah Intex makes disposable packaging, hope Amazon prime doesn't ding me for return the parts without the weak bags they came in..

Oh, before I do the eye thing, I already ordered two clear, polycarbonate pipes (1" and 1-1/8" OD) which should fit nicely into the black inlets, then I can just keep the two 1.25" clear hoses with ring clamps. It's about 10-15 min of dremel work to cut and test fit the hard tube inserts.

But then once that's done.. then anyone/everyone who has a dremel and can order a $10 polycarbonate tube on Amazon will be to avoid cutting the eyelet on a small pool like mine.

Reactions: Teald024
Also, here's the type of tube I will cut for the insert. Polycarbonate Tubing, 3/4" ID x 1" OD x 1/8" Wall, Clear Color 24" L: Industrial Plastic Tubing: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And this is the jet-eye I might use, though I added yours to cart in Amazon too - see below:
What do you think? Amazon.com: Fibropool Above Ground Pool Wall Return Jet Assembly: Garden & Outdoor

For the eye you mentioned, I need the other part right, so total cost about a little more? around $16-17

Intex pools are nice but their accesories... I might send all those accesories back and take your suggestion on the eyelet. This way I can get vacuum hose at Lowe's from now on.

Anyway, is the drain hose use a 3/4" garden hose or what to connect? Side question, need to drain this before I leave on 4th of July travel.

The eyes I linked do not have the NPT to Barb fitting (like those on your pump), so you would need those as well. The hose kit I linked to did have the needed fittings. Your call. The eye you linked will work just fine. Keep in mind that these parts are typically used for the return water from the filter back into the pool.
You could use another eye fitting without the eyeball to get the suction from the pool to the pump. Keep in mind that without a skimmer, you would need to install dual suction lines to be in compliance with the anti-entrapment laws. With a skimmer there isn't much risk of entrapment. But you can't have a single suction underwater.

You mentioned hooking up a vacuum hose. What would be the purpose of this? Without a filter, it would be pointless to vacuum unless you vac'd to waste. In which case, you would need to add some sort of 3-way waste valve.
Again, all this pump is great, but are you installing a filter?

I don't know if the drain will accept a garden hose. You will just have to check. Are you asking if you need to drain?
How are you planning to sanitize?

Last edited:
The eyes I linked do not have the NPT to Barb fitting (like those on your pump), so you would need those as well. The hose kit I linked to did have the needed fittings. Your call. The eye you linked will work just fine. Keep in mind that these parts are typically used for the return water from the filter back into the pool.
You could use another eye fitting without the eyeball to get the suction from the pool to the pump. Keep in mind that without a skimmer, you would need to install dual suction lines to be in compliance with the anti-entrapment laws. With a skimmer there isn't much risk of entrapment. But you can't have a single suction underwater.

You mentioned hooking up a vacuum hose. What would be the purpose of this? Without a filter, it would be pointless to vacuum unless you vac'd to waste. In which case, you would need to add some sort of 3-way waste valve.
Again, all this pump is great, but are you installing a filter?

I don't know if the drain will accept a garden hose. You will just have to check. Are you asking if you need to drain?
How are you planning to sanitize?
Ahh, ok I'll check that on the eyes. Thanks for the heads up about removing the eyeball for the inlet.

I misspoke about the vacuum hose, I can use regular tube 1.25" and 1.5" with the Hayward adapters I already put on the pump, after adding the eyes same 1.25" or 1.5" option.

I now plan to get the eyes, keep the clear 1.25" hoses and use ring-clamps. I'll add the extra hose, as you mention (for entrapment law complaince). Probably means I need a T-joint or a split hose then.

Sanitation, well I am using a floating salt tab, a fine mesh net for the leaves, and I saw the intex drain plug was threaded and larger than my garden hose - so I figured someone would know what intex uses for the drain plug size/thread. Probably some intex only adapter I need, ha. I was going to drain it and pressure hose it out, or brush it out periodically, since I have a water way out back to drain to.

Sanitation: Are you using a Trichlor tab? If so, use one puck in the floater. Then when it is gone, use half cup (4oz) of 6% bleach (plain unscented, no chloromax) a day. Same stuff available at your favorite grocery store in the laundry isle. That should be sufficient to keep your pool sanitized. Then no need to dump your water, pressure hose it out, etc.
You should also see if you can find a HTH pH / chlorine tester at Walmart. Keep pH in range and it will help prevent red eyes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just using these Clorox tabs for now - Amazon.com : Clorox Spa 20001CSP Brominating Tablets, 1.5-Pound : Garden & Outdoor, but I do have plain bleach I can use too, thanks.

Also, my pump is just the low/high speeds, 2-speed (not variable). High speed is basically water jet mode, haha. Low speed, would be fine for this small pool. Wish I could just set it via dip-switch or something?

Also, 1-1/8" clear polycarbonate tube (Ebay) comes Monday. What I might do is so the pipe-improvement on the two outlets and add two return pipes, then retrofit the one inlet, add a second inlet eyes.

I have one question... I see the pump, and the pool... WHERE is the filter?
Good question, no filter yet. Still have to pick that. Suggestions, small footprint/efficient?

Just using these Clorox tabs for now - Amazon.com : Clorox Spa 20001CSP Brominating Tablets, 1.5-Pound : Garden & Outdoor, but I do have plain bleach I can use too, thanks.

Ok. Just know that those tabs are bromine tabs and not chlorine. If you have used those, you have a bromine pool and not a chlorine pool. Any recommendations given by us will need to be modified somewhat. You would need to follow the advice in the Spa section using bromine. You can still use the chlorine to reactivate the bromide back to bromine.
If you haven’t used those tabs yet, then perhaps switch to Trichlor tabs. In your small pool it won’t matter much which way you go since you can easily dump and refill if things go wonky.

Have a read through the Guide for Small and Seasonal Pools

Last edited:
Ok. Just know that those tabs are bromine tabs and not chlorine. If you have used those, you have a bromine pool and not a chlorine pool. Any recommendations given by us will need to be modified somewhat. You would need to follow the advice in the Spa section using bromine. You can still use the chlorine to reactivate the bromide back to bromine.
If you haven’t used those tabs yet, then perhaps switch to Trichlor tabs. In your small pool it won’t matter much which way you go since you can easily dump and refill if things go wonky.

Have a read through the Guide for Small and Seasonal Pools
Yeah that's make sense. My wife wanted the salt pool though, but good ol chlorine always worked..

I oops'ed on the bromine tabs late night Amazon quick grab.

Also, reasonable filter suggestion, is still welcome with the hawyard pump + small pool? no rush, thanks!

Are you sure you had to buy that ridiculous pump because of CA law?

"Residential Pool Pump Motors. Residential pool pump motors with a pool pump motor capacity of 1 HP or greater which are manufactured on or after January 1, 2010, shall have the capability of operating at two or more speeds with a low speed having a rotation rate that is no more than one-half of the motor's maximum rotation rate. The pump motor must be operated with a pump control that shall have the capability of operating the pump at least at two speeds. "

To me, this would mean pumps like the Intex sand filter setups do not count because they're smaller.

Are you sure you had to buy that ridiculous pump because of CA law?

"Residential Pool Pump Motors. Residential pool pump motors with a pool pump motor capacity of 1 HP or greater which are manufactured on or after January 1, 2010, shall have the capability of operating at two or more speeds with a low speed having a rotation rate that is no more than one-half of the motor's maximum rotation rate. The pump motor must be operated with a pump control that shall have the capability of operating the pump at least at two speeds. "

To me, this would mean pumps like the Intex sand filter setups do not count because they're smaller.
Well shoot, too late to return now.. was given poor advise as a major eBay pool store wouldn't ship a single speed 1/2 or 3/4hp even to CA.. Also, as mentioned I tried the Intex puump and returned.. was Way louder...maybe I got a lemon?

EDIT - It's day 32 going to call pool supply Superstore as I see several $200-$300 options with sand-filter pump combo that with a chlorine floater would be most all I need, SOB! This is what you learn probably, not the silly $30 Intex cartridge.
Like - Sand Master Soft Sided Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System Amazon.com : Sand Master Soft Sided Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Garden & Outdoor
Maybe I can pay restock fee and switch at day 32?

Otherwise, I'll be stuck with two piece system, nice if/when I move to a bigger pool just overkill for now.

Anyway doesn't matter, as Sucess on pool pipe upgrade! The 1-1/8" polycarbonate pipe insert work like a charm, fit snug. But still removable in 1.25" intex black inlet/outlet tubes. See attached pics.

Now just simple All 1.25" clear Intex hoses, ring clamps, Hayward pump and 1.25"/1.5" mode adapters.

Simple, sturdy, no cutting, easy to repair, low cost. Was 10-15 cutting three 2" pipe inserts for the black inlet/outlets.

Polycarbonate Pipe melted little from Dremel cutting discs friction.. but sanded ends removed burrs and melted bits, smooth.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd check out the used listings. You can probably find a decent used filter that would work. Try this one..
Cool will do. Appreciate the advise, Happy 4th. I'm one T-fitting away from being done with the plumbing connections.

Remaining to do 1.) Switch to chlorine tabs in the floater, I can recycle the bromine tabs to my toilets, lol as they apparently work great to keep them clean 2.) Get used filter system to add 23.) Add 1.25" T-fitting nad neaten up clear intex tube routing with Zip-ties, etc. 4.) make sure input hose points down otherwise when the pump is on high mode it can weigh the inlet down (pointing up) and shooting water up over the side.

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_172106014_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190626_172106014_HDR.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190626_173238352.jpg
    IMG_20190626_173238352.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190626_180641321.jpg
    IMG_20190626_180641321.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20190626_181526920.jpg
    IMG_20190626_181526920.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190626_181915680.jpg
    IMG_20190626_181915680.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190626_181931916.jpg
    IMG_20190626_181931916.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190626_184255032.jpg
    IMG_20190626_184255032.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190626_184314988.jpg
    IMG_20190626_184314988.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190626_185156214.jpg
    IMG_20190626_185156214.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190626_171758606_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190626_171758606_HDR.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 25
Well, forget the return option. Yep just gonna keep the pump, add this blue devil sand filter and be done.

At least I can keep this system when moving or when upgrade pools as kids grow.

Blue Devil Sand Filter for Swimming Pools, 16-Inch Amazon.com : Blue Devil Sand Filter for Swimming Pools, 16-Inch : Garden & Outdoor

I'll still check the used add, but this looks good, and a Harris option around same price, Hayward +$30 more for filter tank.

Harris option - Harris H1573040 Vortex Sand Filter Tank, 16 in

So $400 spent on 1hp pump+ 16" sand-tank filter combo.

Integrated sand-filter + pump.. would be nicer for smaller footprint/cost, oh well I don't want to pay restock and swap the is out.. But for a smaller townhouse backyard the integrated system would fit under my side table nicer. Dang

Last edited:
Last update pre 4th, T-joint for 1.25" hoses came and installed. Nice Blue devil 16" sand filter after the holiday then tie it all up.

I will add the eye jets later, when I get a bigger pool for now happy with the pipe insert upgrade for inlet/out.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_154151556.jpg
    IMG_20190627_154151556.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.