Intex 3000 gph sand filter is surging

Keb

May 1, 2019
Texas
So finally got my water clear and good. Just installed the intex 3000 gph sand filter and water is leaking from in between skimmer housing and pump ?. It also seems like there is water dripping from clear skimmer basket lid. WHY????? Is there something I can put on it to make it quit or is it faulty. The pump is amazing as it cleared my cloudy pool in about 24 hrs but now after running for a minute it surges and when pump is off water is seeping from housing. Ugh... please help!

For anyone else that has this problem here’s how I solved mine after talking to my Dad who has been in the oil field for 40 years and here’s his response “if it wasn’t for Teflon tape the oil field would go broke ?, go around grove where o-ring sits a couple of times and wrap the o-ring for the strainer basket cap with a single layer of Teflon tape and that should do the trick”.... HE WAS RIGHT! No more air bubbles in stainer and no more pulsing! YAY!

As a retired oilfield worker he is right. Now, on the pump basket lid there should have been a gasket/oring. We suggest using silicone pool lube on it. The teflon may work for a time, but it can get sticky as the chlorine in the water works on it. So watch out for that.

Take care.

Reactions: Keb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.