Intex 18’ x 9’ XPS with pressure treated boards advise.

Nikole

Jun 5, 2020
Windsor, CT
Hello, I’m so thankful for this site. But I feel like I’m overthinking my pool set up, LOL. I’m planning on putting 1-1/2” or 2” XPS boards. From reading other posts, I will need approximately 12 4’ x 8’ boards. I’m also planning on using 2x10x16 pressure treated pine. My concern, the grain of the wood vs the legs. Anyone have issues with this size board and placement for a rectangular pool??

... I’m also planning on using 2x10x16 pressure treated pine. My concern, the grain of the wood vs the legs. Anyone have issues with this size board and placement for a rectangular pool??
Do you mean putting the legs on the boards for support? I know I've seen a few pics of it done (if that's what you mean). But I don't know how well it's worked. I know there are at least 2 threads of owners that switched to pavers after trying wood blocks under legs.
The only thing I can think of, is it would be even more important to level the ground, because the wood plank could (should) not be used to support the pool frame.

Do you mean putting the legs on the boards for support? I know I've seen a few pics of it done (if that's what you mean). But I don't know how well it's worked. I know there are at least 2 threads of owners that switched to pavers after trying wood blocks under legs.
The only thing I can think of, is it would be even more important to level the ground, because the wood plank could (should) not be used to support the pool frame.

Yes, we are going to level the ground; I just think it will be more stable with larger longer wood planks, but I could be wrong, LOL.
The only issue I can think of is if the ground gets washed away under the board, instead of 1 leg, it's the whole side that becomes affected. It would probably be okay at first, I just don't know how it will age :)

The only issue I can think of is if the ground gets washed away under the board, instead of 1 leg, it's the whole side that becomes affected. It would probably be okay at first, I just don't know how it will age :)
Thank you, that is diffidently something to consider. I really want 4" pavers, but I can't find them in my area. My yard is clay and doesn't drain well, so I want to make sure my pool is well supported. I plan on only having it up during the summer and then taking it down for the winter.

Thank you, that is diffidently something to consider. I really want 4" pavers, but I can't find them in my area. My yard is clay and doesn't drain well, so I want to make sure my pool is well supported. I plan on only having it up during the summer and then taking it down for the winter.
If the water can't drain away from the wood, I would definitely be wary of wood on the ground... No stepping stones or anything of that sort?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To answer your question on the wood grain, the legs should sit perpendicular to the wood grain.
We have the same 9x18 intex pool, and we used the 16x16 2" thick riverfront pavers from menards instead of wood, for similar reasons... slow draining soil, and concerns that the wood won't last a season.

Reactions: splashpad
To answer your question on the wood grain, the legs should sit perpendicular to the wood grain.
We have the same 9x18 intex pool, and we used the 16x16 2" thick riverfront pavers from menards instead of wood, for similar reasons... slow draining soil, and concerns that the wood won't last a season.
I seen that a lot of people have issues with them cracking. I'm planning on using XPS, I wonder if it will be okay to put the pavers in the ground and then the XPS over them, and have the legs on the XPS boards; just don't know if the weight of the pool will crack it.

I seen that a lot of people have issues with them cracking. I'm planning on using XPS, I wonder if it will be okay to put the pavers in the ground and then the XPS over them, and have the legs on the XPS boards; just don't know if the weight of the pool will crack it.
If the pavers are set solid on the ground, they should be able to bear the weight :) most that report cracking have not properly seated the paver stone itself :) The legs will definitely crush the XPS foam once the pool is filled

Reactions: Nikole
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.