Intermatic pump stopping just before hitting the "On" timer dog? Only 1 gear moving?

waycalhu

Nov 8, 2020
Florida
Hi Everyone,

I moved into a home, and this is my first time having a pool and I have no knowledge other than what I've read up on so far, so I apologize in advance if my question may sound very simple.

I noticed that my timer always stops/gets stuck about 15-30 minutes before the scheduled time of the "On" timer dog and does not move after getting in this stuck position. First time I noticed it, I said "Let me move the timer dogs forward a few hours and see if it works", but the same thing happened - the clock dial did move but got stuck 15-30 minutes before the scheduled "on" timer dog. So I tried moving the timer dogs again and, again, the clock dial moved appropriately but stopped 15-30 minutes before hitting the "on" timer dog, and the clock dial stays there. The dogs are on tight and the timer was made sure that it was not "popped out" when I adjusted the clock dial previously.

The pool pump works with the manual lever turning it off/on. When I look in the little hole in the top right to check the gears, there are two little black gears and I see the back gear moving but the front one is not moving. Not sure if that has any significance. If it matters, the pool is only about 2 years old.

Does anyone know what may be causing my issue? From what I read, I may just have to replace the entire timer mechanism but thought I'd throw this out there to see if there is an easier fix.

Thank you so much for any advice!

EDIT: I have included some photos of my timer mechanism I took a while ago. Would this be the T104M that I would need to buy if I were to replace it?

Attachments

• 20201108_165821.jpg
    20201108_165821.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201108_170051.jpg
    20201108_170051.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Is the problem the right or left timer?

Last edited:
Check that you have the correct voltage to the timer motor. You can get mechanisms with 120V or 240V motors. Check you don’t have a 240V motor wired for 120V.

What does that timer control?

Your pool pump is 240V and the timer motor should be 240V.

I think you just have a worn out timer. It should not happen after 2 years but all you can do is replace the mechanism if the wiring is correct.

Your pool pump is 240V and the timer motor should be 240V.

I think you just have a worn out timer. It should not happen after 2 years but all you can do is replace the mechanism if the wiring is correct.

Here's a pic of the motor. I have searched online, and I see frequently model number "WG1573-5" but not "WG1573-5E" - does the "E" matter? If I change out the entire mechanism I presume this won't matter since the mechanism will come with its own motor...is that correct? I greatly appreciate your assistance with this.

Attachments

• 20201108_092845.jpg
    20201108_092845.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 5
With a new mechanism you get a new motor.

Not sure what the E means. It could indicate the supplier of the motor if they get it from multiple vendors.

Reactions: waycalhu
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.