Interior Finish issues and Pool Builder

dice7074

Bronze Supporter
Jun 19, 2017
Surprise, AZ
So it's been 5 months since our pool was completed and I've been noticing that my pool isn't as blue as it used to be, or even should be. Long story- short, I went to NPT to ask questions about my finish and the manager said he would need the name of the installer (plasterer, not builder) who did my pool, startup numbers, and the chemistry numbers that my pool has been reading at for the last 5 months. My numbers are easy to give to him because I did the chem myself and they were pretty consistent all the way around, but the installer is what is really frustrating me... I called my PB and asked him who the installer/plasterer was for my pool and he said he was. As the conversation continued, he said that "National Pool Tile" is not where we got our interior from, National Pool Tile is only where we got our tile from...

First off, we were told to go to NPT to pick out colors for our pool finish because he uses StoneScapes for mini pebble - I still have the Aqua Blue sample I chose.
Second, PB told us to also check out Noble Tile for our tile because they had a good selection for decent prices - We got our tile from Noble, not NPT.

Back to the finish... PB told us to pick out our mini pebble from NPT- and their line of mini pebble is "StoneScapes"... So, by him saying that he "didn't" get my interior from NPT, is he telling me that he didn't sell me the product that I thought I bought? And is that maybe why I'm not satisfied with my result?

Someone please point me in a direction because I really don't know what I should be focusing on right now. SOOOOO :taped::grrrr:

I am going to say I agree with the above. First and foremost it is the PB who holds the bottom line. Start with him and push to get what is right for you and your pool. Let us know what he has to say about all of this please.

Kim:kim:

Thanks everyone. I am just so irritated and LIVID right now. I keep going over and over in my head that he said he doesn't get his interior from "National Pool Tile", but I have an email from his office manager SPECIFICALLY STATING that they "use StoneScapes for their mini pebble finish"... And then he said that HE is the installer for our plaster... "Uhh, no you're not. You subbed that out!" I just want to pursue legal action at this point.

The contract says mini pebble. But the I kept all of our correspondence and I have an email from the office manager specifically stating they use StoneScapes for their "minipebble" finish.

*UPDATE*

My husband called the PB and the PB is now saying that he "did" use StoneScapes for our pool and that he was going to give NPT a call...

... Something doesn't sound right... Why would he call NPT? From my conversation with NPT, the only way they could/would step in, is if they verified what I have in my pool is their product - this is why they needed to know the name of the plasterer, so they can cross-reference if their materials were bought for my pool the day finish was installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most contractors do not buy the material the day of the installation, they have delervies once or twice week. They can use dates to cross reference but more than likely their relationship with the installer will be the main factor, meaning do they know the installer uses NPT products.

I would engage a lawyer, one specifically versed in construction & contract laws, and seek professional advice. A 1 hour phone call with a lawyer who has reviewed your contract and all of your correspondences will cost you $250-$350 in legal fees but you will get ACTUAL legal advice and know what options are available to you. Talking to a lawyer doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily be hauling the PB into court but it will give you the knowledge you need to confront the PB and not make statements that are factually wrong or take positions that you can’t follow through on.

No one here can give you proper legal advice.

TFP is here to assist you in anyway we can. That said, this sort of issue isn’t one where we can assist in good faith. Like it or not to get this issue sorted correctly you’ll need assistance from the builder in some way. Only after doing all you can with the builder would I worry about legal options. TFP hates that this is occurring however there’s not much we can do in good faith to assist.

do they know the installer uses NPT products.

This is what the manager at NPT was talking to me about. He said that sometimes PBs hire installers and tell them that this owner wants this finish. Unfortunately, he said that if an installer wants to make more profit, he will get the finish materials from a different company because it looks the same, but it's cheaper. This is why he needed the name of the installer, because if he had that, he would know what the installer purchased for my pool, and if he even bought the product from NPT... If there is no record of materials purchased for my pool, then it wouldn't be an NPT product, and he couldn't step in and warranty my finish.

this sort of issue isn’t one where we can assist in good faith.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the input. I'm really just ranting because all of us spend tens of thousands of dollars on our pools and I feel I didn't necessarily get what I paid for. This matter will get settled one way or another.

This is what the manager at NPT was talking to me about. He said that sometimes PBs hire installers and tell them that this owner wants this finish. Unfortunately, he said that if an installer wants to make more profit, he will get the finish materials from a different company because it looks the same, but it's cheaper. This is why he needed the name of the installer, because if he had that, he would know what the installer purchased for my pool, and if he even bought the product from NPT... If there is no record of materials purchased for my pool, then it wouldn't be an NPT product, and he couldn't step in and warranty my finish.

NPT goes to dealer via distributor or buying group/collective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.