Intellivalve with Intellicenter

Apr 29, 2017
Lincoln, CA
Hello all, I've been reading and searching but can't seem to find a current answer. I just finished a build with an intellicenter and intellivalves. I would like multiple stops so I can run my bubbler and waterfall in different combinations. I read this feature is coming, but not yet. Seems like it's been a few months since the last post and I was wondering if anyone had any recent information. Thank you!

I don't. But from experience I can tell you that Pentair software and firmware updates are few and far between... Fortunately, IntelliCenter is their flagship automation controller, so you'll likely get yours updated before I ever see any updates for my system. Maybe someone else here has some news, I'm really just bumping your thread...

Reactions: Djones5548
The guy who is most on top of this is @MyAZPool. However, from what I remember Pentair is not supposed to release that functionality until 2021 sometime, which now does not seem so far but it did at the beginning of the year.

But I would not hold your breathe they are notoriously late on functionality like this.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Djones,

I also was hoping for this functionality, maybe we will get it soon. The intellivalves do have the extra 2 com wires for the functionality. And if you get a com expansion board for the intellicenter, it has several plugs that say "intellivalve only".

Are each of your features on seperate valves or are they on 1 shared 3way valve?

Yeah, it is a bummer. Would be great to have that.

I replumbed my bubblers and deck jets from a single 3 way valve, to individual 2 way valves, so that I could operate them independently, rather than wait on Pentair to release this functionality. I mostly did it because my PB said it couldn't be done and I don't really accept "can't". I really think they were just unaware of the full capability of the Intellicenter and they did what they knew.

Even with that functionality, I am not sure it would have done what I wanted. Someday I may actually have that answer.

--Jeff

@Djones5548

I'm sorry to say that "Not yet" is unfortunately correct.
I could write adnauseam on this topic (it's been a personal project of mine), but it's Thanksgiving, so I'll save you the long read.

Here is the "readers digest" version...
When I spoke to a Pentair rep in the month of June, 2018, she had told me that the target release date of the firmware to allow for the multi-positioning feature, should be released in the second quarter of 2019. That target date has been moved to the right several times during my extensive correspondence with several key figures at Pentair. I have participated in teleconferences, back and forth email correspondence, etc. with product managers, "innovation" managers, engineers, etc. And yet I have nothing positive to report.

@Katodude is correct. The last projected timeline that I have received is Q3, 2021. "We do have an IntelliCenter development plan for IntelliValves to be placed on the RS-485 bus to allow five preset positions on the IntelliValve. That functionality is currently scheduled to be completed in Q3 of next year".

I have went so far as to request (more like begging or pleading), on several occasions that Pentair just release the IntelliValve API's, and then some of the smart guys here (that's not me), who are involved in this project, could possibly solve this issue. It doesn't appear that will happen either.

At this very moment, I am blasting one of my IntelliValves with different RS-485 commands and recording responses . Several other individuals are doing the same. And because of this determination to "hack or jailbreak" these actuators, some IntelliValves are now permanently silent, as they rest for all eternity in the IntelliValve graveyard.

After the holidays and my involvement with my "other" pool automation project, I will attempt to breath some life into this quest and see what I can do to move that last target date, slightly to the left if possible. But the "squeaky wheel" approach doesn't really seem to work with Pentair. It's like their deaf or something.

And as @Jimrahbe and others have said here before me, "don't hold your breath"!

Happy Thanksgiving...
r.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought I was exaggerating slightly. It's way worse than I thought. I know my ScreenLogic has gone years between updates. Pentair will never release the APIs. That's not their business model. Everything must stay proprietary so that everything must be purchased from Pentair. They will never allow third-party developers to come up with controller solutions. The frustrating part, especially because I understand that IntelliCenter is supposed to be firmware upgradeable, is a competent programmer could probably alter its firmware functionality in a day or two. Let's give it a week for programming and field testing. The fact that it's going to be over three years?!? Wow.

I would love a crack at ScreenLogic's API. Even if it was just for status and not control. What I could do with just the data from the air and water temp sensors alone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Dirk
Couldn't agree more regarding Pentair's "old school" business model and the protection of their proprietary code. The release of API's are something that they have told me "is something they are considering for the future", but we both know what that means. They are just too "un-informed" (that's the nice way of saying it), to realize that open API's are the future.

Now, regarding API's for IntelliCenter and Pentair Automation Systems that utilize "ScreenLogic", then please see the following links. You may just have a lot of fun "indulging yourself", as I and some others have.

Just ask @Katodude. If you come over to the "darkside" of Pentair Automation, there really are "cookies". And yes. Air Temp too! :p
r.

Last edited:
Hey Dirk, I think the NodeJS-poolController will get you most of what you want. I am pretty sure it will capture the water temp from control box, not sure about air temp.
Wow, I was bluffing! I was just on github taking a peek. I don't know how to make heads or tails of most of that, but I could probably figure it out. Maybe a rainy day project. There seems to be a path for a Mac installation. My HA software allows plug-ins. What I need is for some geek to figure that integration out, so I can just download that. That's how I got my window shade automation to work. And local weather integration. That's where I'm getting current outdoor temp now. But it's from a weather station about five miles away that has its own microclimate. I need the readings off my Pentair sensors... I know they're just variable resistors, but getting that number into my HA is no small feat.

DJones, sorry for the hijack, I'll start a thread about this some other day...

@MyAZPool, Pentair releasing their APIs, good one! :ROFLMAO:

I would definately.change the plumbing from 1 3 way valve to 2 2 way valves. That way you can atleast run them simultaneously. Attached is an image on how i have mine programmed. You could have a boost mode to increase pump rpms when using both features.

My PB also wanted to use a series of several different 3 way valves for all my features. Im really glad I insisted on havi g it plumbed with all 2 way valves

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201125-233229_IntelliCenter.jpg
    Screenshot_20201125-233229_IntelliCenter.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Djones5548
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.