Intellipro VSF (356666A) Shuts Down above 3000 rpm

palayman

Sep 20, 2023
Central Florida
Hi,

I was trying to get a little more pressure in the jets of my SPA, but the pump shuts down after a few seconds if I set the rpm much above 3000. It should go to 3450. I thought maybe the pressure got high due to obstructed flow in SPA mode, but it shuts down at these rpm's even in POOL mode. If I monitor power and current it doesn't seem to come anywhere near the pumps max ratings. It is controlled by a Screenlogic system, not controls on the pump in case that matters.

Any ideas on why it may be shutting down?

Paul

Paul,

What happens when you run at 3450 in the Pool Mode???

Are you running RPM or GPM in your schedules?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Same thing happens in pool mode. Power and current is approximately the same in SPA and POOL mode just before shutdown. I'm running RPM on both my schedules. (My home automation system keeps an eye on power in POOL mode to warn me of a need to clean the filter).

Paul,

I went back and read your initial post.. You were clear, I just can't read... :mrgreen:

Does your IntelliPro have the SVRS option???

If not, I can't think of anything that would shut the pump off.. :scratch:

Do you have the the original IntelliFlo or the IntelliFlo3. (I don't see P/N 356666A and assume it is the control head and not the pump..)

Does the pump show any failure info when it shuts off?

Edit.. is this a old pool that worked before and now does not, or is this a new pool still under warranty?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Don't think it has the SVRS option, but not exactly clear on how to tell.
Attached are some pics of various labels on the pump/motor. Maybe you can tell?
No failures are shown, but to me it seems like the motor overload is tripping because the heater keeps running until it quits on an overheat error.
I can repeat the whole think in a few minutes after the overloads reset themselves. Does this make sense?
AT 3000 RPM it's running 63 GPM and 1450 watts in case that helps.

Thanks for your help,
Paul

20230920_110704.jpg20230920_110621.jpg20230920_110644.jpg

Last edited:
Paul,

I doubt the pump has the SVRS option... not used much, just trying to make sure.

I have no idea why your pump shuts off.

Let's ask the man who knows "everything"... Calling @JamesW

While you wait, see if the pump has recorded any errors.. Go into the Service mode so you can use the pump's control panel.. Then.. Menu, Setting Alarm Logs. I have never done this, so would be interested in what you find..

This is an older pump, so has it always been this way or is this issue something new???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: palayman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Paul,

I doubt the pump has the SVRS option... not used much, just trying to make sure.

I have no idea why your pump shuts off.

Let's ask the man who knows "everything"... Calling @JamesW

While you wait, see if the pump has recorded any errors.. Go into the Service mode so you can use the pump's control panel.. Then.. Menu, Setting Alarm Logs. I have never done this, so would be interested in what you find..

This is an older pump, so has it always been this way or is this issue something new???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sure enough max rpm was set to 3050. Changed it to 3250. Didn't shut down. 1850 watts and 71 gpm. Woohoo!

Thanks @Jimrahbe and @JamesW ! So glad I found this group. Great help.

Paul

Reactions: JamesW
Paul,

Well... glad you got it "fixed"... :goodjob:

Not sure how, as the manual says the pump should not shut off..

Maybe the older IntelliPro's are different???

Thanks for the feedback, something to remember..

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
Sure enough max rpm was set to 3050. Changed it to 3250. Didn't shut down. 1850 watts and 71 gpm.
H = 0.014878F^2

1695228277211.png

1695228102876.png

full

Would a max speed shut the pump off???
It is controlled by a Screenlogic system, not controls on the pump in case that matters.
It might be due to a conflict between the ScreenLogic and the pump control panel.

If the pump was running in Standalone mode, it might have kept running or not allowed the speed to be set higher or gave a warning.

In any case, it seems that it is working now.

:goodjob:

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.