IntellipH issues

Hi,

I recently installed a Pentair IntellipH. My troubles started immediately. I ordered the unit from Amazon. Got it in two days and was ready to install it but found that the controller was missing the plug to connect to the pump. Amazon is awesome and sent me a new unit. Two days later, I do the install and all seemed great until I came back from vacation to a pool with a pH of 8. Also noticed that the acid level in the tank was the same as when I left. I hit the manual dispense and nothing happened. I checked the connection to make sure the plug was properly seated and the pump runs. I let go of the plug and the pump stops. I do this a couple times with the same result as before and conclude that connection or plug is bad. So I unplug the cable to inspect the plug and this is what I found:

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

As you can see the plug and the connector both have metal contacts that are male. I think one needs to be female to get a solid connection. Before I contact Amazon for yet another replacement, can someone please confirm my thinking?

Thanks!

KM

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, and it doesn't even look like it will mate up, so you have the entirely wrong connector. I hate admoninshing you like this on your first post, but going off with a new pH controller hooked up without verifying proper function is very risky. You could have had an acid over feed while away if it had been working, and I'd hate to see that happen to your pool.

Not sure what to tell you about sourcing a new connector, but this certainly isn't the right pair.

Thanks for the replay. I actually tested the unit after install and it worked. So I never realized or even thought to check that the connectors matched up. I mean who would? Anyway, it was probably working up until we went on vacation. The two weeks leading up to our vacation the pH was hovering around the mid to low 7s. I'm guessing the 90 degree weather caused the plastic connectors to loosen and pull away. Anyway, this one is going back to Amazon since I too don't know how to source the right connector either. I realize this isn't amazons fault but this is really frustrating.

Thanks again! TFP is a great resource. I learned how to care for my pool with the info here.

KOJ

Update: problem solved. Was able to determine that it's a molex type connector, ordered some molex crimp pins, took apart the connector on the wire, swapped out the male for the female pins, reassembled and got new shrink tubing. Acid feeder is working perfectly. Cost about $10 to fix and Amazon gave me $150+tax for my trouble.

I am sure my problem was a one off but wanted to post this update if anyone comes across a similar issue.

Thanks.

Not a one off problem. My new acid dispenser and pump lacks the correct molex plug as well. Working on it now to figure out the easiest solution.

Because figuring out exactly what molex connector I needed, and then sourcing it quickly, was way above my pay grade (Molex makes tons of connectors, and most aren't readily available nearby), I elected to splice our new control cable onto the existing molex connector.

If you encounter this same problem and choose this same fix, note that the stranded wire gauge and also the color coding is different inside the old vs. new cables. While both the old and the new two-wire cables contain a stranded black wire, the second stranded wire in the old cable was red. Inside the replacement cable, the second stranded wire is white. Both of the stranded wires in the new cable are also a couple of gauges smaller than in the original cable.

Despite these differences, splicing black to black stranded wires, and then and white (in the new cable) to red (in the old cable) wires produced a working connection. The new intelliph unit responds to all signals and appears to be working normally. I'll post back if any unexpected hiccups are observed later.

If anyone can explain why two different plugs are floating around out there, I am curious to know. Does this dispenser interface with two different types of control panels? Or is Pentair just trying to nudge the homeowner towards hiring a dealer / installer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.