Sep 27, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

I moved into a house about a year ago with an older pool (built in the 80's). The previous owners upgraded the pump and filter system to Intelliflow with a Sta Rite filter, and added a solar water heater. The pool itself is plaster and about 25,000 gallons. The issue is there is air coming through the pump and bubbling out of the return lines. I've tried everything to diagnose it, and recently had a leak detection company out as I thought it was a leak in the skimmer. However, they determined it is because the old pool has 1 1/4 inch copper pipes and there is an adapter to 2 inch PVC to go into the pump. At higher RPMs this is pulling too much through the skimmer and pulling in air as well. I guess my question is will running the pump with air coming through burn out the pump faster? The old owners just ran it as is, running the pump at 3100 RPM's to the solar water heater, with about 5 inches of air in the pump basket. Will this put additional strain on the pump?

My other question is, does it make sense to look into replacing the pump with a 1 1/4 suction side pipe option, that runs at the same RPM?

Let me know what additional detail I can provide, I'm sure I've missed a bunch.

Adrian,

The whole point of having a VS IntelliFlo pump is so that you can run as slow as you can, not as fast as you can.

I run my IntelliFlo 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month. At 3100 RPM, it has got to be hard on your electrical bill.

What happens if you turn off the solar heater water flow??

Is the IntelliFlo a standalone pump, or is it being controlled by some kind of automation system?

Show us some pics of your equipment pad.

Are you sure you have 5" of air in your pump basket? Water in the pump basket can look pretty clear.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I’ve had it running all summer without the solar, and it does okay at low RPMs but once I turn on the booster for the sweep it starts pulling a good amount of air. I just turned the solar back on yesterday to test it, and it’s about the same as when the sweep booster pump is on. Also, when the solar and the booster are on at the same time, it seems like it’s about the same amount of air, but the sweep doesn’t have as much go in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 7
Adrian,

Can you show us a better pic of how the booster pump is connected. Where it gets its input water and where it sends the water back to the cleaner.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter and what is the filter pressure when running at 3100?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Booster pump is attached on the pressure side, after the water returns from the solar heaters. If solar is turned off I adjust the diverted to send water straight to the booster.

Filter was cleaned about a month ago. At high RPM the gauge reads about 12 psi, at low RPM about 7 psi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 3
Hello!

I moved into a house about a year ago with an older pool (built in the 80's). The previous owners upgraded the pump and filter system to Intelliflow with a Sta Rite filter, and added a solar water heater. The pool itself is plaster and about 25,000 gallons. The issue is there is air coming through the pump and bubbling out of the return lines. I've tried everything to diagnose it, and recently had a leak detection company out as I thought it was a leak in the skimmer. However, they determined it is because the old pool has 1 1/4 inch copper pipes and there is an adapter to 2 inch PVC to go into the pump. At higher RPMs this is pulling too much through the skimmer and pulling in air as well. I guess my question is will running the pump with air coming through burn out the pump faster? The old owners just ran it as is, running the pump at 3100 RPM's to the solar water heater, with about 5 inches of air in the pump basket. Will this put additional strain on the pump?

My other question is, does it make sense to look into replacing the pump with a 1 1/4 suction side pipe option, that runs at the same RPM?

Let me know what additional detail I can provide, I'm sure I've missed a bunch.
Turn down the rpm. There are no 1.25" pool pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.