Intelliflo VSF keypad override

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
Hello,
I have a Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump and a Jandy Aqualink automation system (older RS4 recently upgraded with the IQ-30 kit). For the most part everything seems to be running fine, but I do have a question about using the pump's controls. With the automation connected, the pump's display normally says "Display Not Active" and none of the buttons on the pump panel will do anything. OK, I know that's normal, but I'm wondering if at some point I want to use the pump's display and controls, how can I do that? I have been told to just put the system in Service Mode and wait a little while and the display should be usable again, but that's not the case. Short of disconnecting the cable or disconnecting the pump communication using the app, is there any key sequence or something that I can do to temporarily override the automation and use the pump's own controls and display?

Thank you,
Greg

Greg,

With a Pentair automation system, putting the system in the Service mode, turns off the RS-485 and the pump then reverts to the standalone mode where you have to use the pump's keypad to run the pump.

I have no clue about your automation.

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply. It appears that the Jandy automation system maintains the RS-485 connection to the pump when in service mode. I imagine this is so the user can manually turn the pump on and off with the 'filter pump' button in the Jandy control box when in service mode.

If I do want to disable the 485 link and use the pump's controls/display for any reason, I can resort to 'disconnecting' the pump in one of the setup screens in the phone app. I was just wondering if there was something I could do at the pump control panel itself to temporarily restore control back to the pump. I talked to someone at Pentair and he wasn't sure if this could be done. He seemed to think that there might be some kind of key sequence on the pump panel that would do this, but couldn't remember for sure. He mentioned that pressing the 'menu' key (on the pump) several times might be it. Not sure I want to try that because he didn't say anything about how I would restore the control back to the automation. :D

Greg

Greg,

Well, you don't want to remove or install the RS-485 cable with power on. This can blow up the RS-485 chips.

Sorry, but I don't know about any "trick" that will turn on the pump's standalone mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.