Intelliflo i1 VS Pump vs Intelliflo VS 011018

TarheelPool

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Burlington, NC
I'm upgrading from a single speed Whisperflo to a VS pump. My pool service company has recommended the Intelliflo i1 pump, advising that it matches my TR60 filter size more appropriately. In researching here on TFP, it seems the Intelliflo VS (part no 011018) is the commonly preferred Pentair choice. My pool is an 18x36, app. 28000 gallons, Pentair TR60 sand filter, 2" plumbing. Looking for any advice on which VS pump to go with and any reason why the 011018 wouldn't be a good choice for my pool. One other factor is that my pump is about 2 feet higher in elevation from the pool and about 2o feet from the pool, about 40 from the skimmer and drains. I've always had trouble pulling prime if my pump was shut off for any length of time so have wondered if the 1hp might be undersized. Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated.

I would not get the Intelliflo i1. The Intelliflo VS is a great pump, but might be oversized for your pool. I would look into the SuperFlo VS. It's a 1.5hp variable speed, which is sized more appropriately for your pool.

THP,

I would suggest the proven "Gold Standard" of pumps the Intelliflo 011018.

The fact that it is a 3 HP pump does not matter at all. I suspect your car has plenty of HP, but do you use all of it when driving? Same principle applies, you only use what you need.

For reference, I can run my pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month, because most of the time I'm only using a fraction of the rated 3 HP.

Here is what Pentair says about the i1...

"For pools in areas that restrict replacement pump flow rates, the IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Pump may be the ideal choice. Its hydraulic design reduces flow rates while providing the significant energy savings you’d expect from a Pentair variable speed pump. With a maximum rating of seven amps, this makes retrofits easier in applications that are limited by existing wire gauge size."

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

That's good to know, Jim. I'm in the same position of looking for a new pump. I was under the impression the 3hp pump could only go down to 1/2hp. My current pump is 3/4hp, so I didn't think that would bring me much savings.

Jim - can you control the prime speed for the pump? I think running at the full 3hp would break my pool lines. They're only 1.5".

The funny thing is the intelliflo 011018 is basically a wisperflo pump with a variable speed motor. The intelliflo i pumps have the performance of the superflo pumps but have all the bells and whistles of the intelliflo electronics package but they cost more than the regular intelliflo.

Running an Intelliflo at low rpm will not overload your plumbing at all. I run my pump att 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine and it only uses 150 watts. I can run it 24x7 at 10.25c/kWh for less than 12 bucks a month.

Just FYI the 011018 has been replaced by the 011055. The 011055 has a control panel that can be rotated. Either pump is fine, they are the same.

That's good to know, Jim. I'm in the same position of looking for a new pump. I was under the impression the 3hp pump could only go down to 1/2hp. My current pump is 3/4hp, so I didn't think that would bring me much savings.

Jim - can you control the prime speed for the pump? I think running at the full 3hp would break my pool lines. They're only 1.5".

Josh,

I have two rent house that have 3 HP Intelliflow pumps.. they both have 1.5" lines... They have been running for about 3 years with never a problem.

I know you are supposed to be able to adjust the priming speed, but I have never tried it. None of mine take more than a few seconds to prime.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.