Intelliflo Corrosion Issue

GEAUXHOOKEM

Feb 18, 2020
Orange County, CA
We just purchased a home in Orange County, CA last month. Of all the inspections I got done (structural, video plumbing, etc) I managed to forget to do the pool inspection. There is no one to blame but me. Aside from the cracked filter housing and other valve related issues and leaks which have been repaired since we moved in, my latest involves a Pentair VS-3050 motor that looks very much like the ones described above. Apparently, there was a very slow leak over the course of months/years that caused the motor to corrode. While the unit is still functioning I'm debating if I should replace the entire pump or just the seal plate and motor. The entire motor unit almost seems to be sitting crooked and there are a couple of corroded screws that literally just pulled out with little to no effort. I also need a new electrical whip installed as well since it isn't even locked on the threads. What say you guys/gals?

Attachments

• IMG_FB425984A5B6-1.jpeg
    IMG_FB425984A5B6-1.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_667C2EC1C35F-1.jpeg
    IMG_667C2EC1C35F-1.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_33A7FC8C647E-1.jpeg
    IMG_33A7FC8C647E-1.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_F57AE6793C3B-1.jpeg
    IMG_F57AE6793C3B-1.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 47
Welcome to the forum!
To my knowledge, the Intelliflo is sold as a complete unit. I have not seen replacement motors for that unit. Others may know differently.
The current model to get is the 011028. It is a VS only drive.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

G,

If this were my pool, I would replace the entire pump and motor... I have tried patching things in the past, and they will work for a while, but always seem to be a problem later... For me, my time is much more valuable than the additional cost.

I agree with Marty, I would also buy the new IntelliFlo, with the rotatable control head. P/N 011028. With a cable you can actually mount the control head on a wall.

The good news is that you had an installer that had a clue what he was doing and used unions. So it will be very easy to install a new one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think it was last year or the year before where SoCal got flooded with torrential rains. Do you know if that area of the home got flooded??

Also, check the bonding wire. Your pool, pool equipment, and anything metal within 5ft of the water should be electrically bonded with a bare copper wire. The pump should be bonded too. Bonding is not the same thing as grounding.

Welcome to the forum!
To my knowledge, the Intelliflo is sold as a complete unit. I have not seen replacement motors for that unit. Others may know differently.
The current model to get is the 011028. It is a VS only drive.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the welcome. We just moved to Orange County from Dallas where we had a pool. I've been a lurker on TFP for years which is actually where I got my chemistry chops up and decided to become my own pool guy. The equipment side is a road I've dared not travel though. I will look into that particular model you suggested!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.