Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I'm looking for advice on selecting a 24 volt WiFi switch/relay for pool automation. My builder set up my IntelliFlo VS control in an unconventional way. Instead of using the pump control panel to set up timing programs, my system uses two Intermatic timers and two low voltage rocker switches. Each device is routed to an Intellicom II Interface adapter which receives 24 volt voltage from a transformer. The RS-485 data cable is connected between the Interface Adapter and the pump data port. Any one of the four switches will activate the pump at the programmed speed. As unconventional as the wiring is, I've gotten use to it and like not having to bend over my VS control panel to change timers.

I would like to swap the two rocker switches with WiFi relays/switches controlled by an app to allow for setting up timers remotely. The switches need to meet the following criteria:
  • 24 volt (voltage at the switch reads 18 volts)
  • Compatible with a dual band (2.4 GHZ/5 GHZ) Google Mesh router
  • Have Alexa control
I don't have a problem with adding an additional box to house the relays/switches. I have 230 VAC and 115 VAC going to the box in the event the switch requires external power.

I can post pics if needed.

Thanks in advance.

I find it highly unlikely that it would not work with a mesh network. Most of these types of units only support 2.4Ghz which most mesh networks support. Not sure if you can find one that also supports 5Ghz, but you dont really need that since the higher frequency is really designed for higher speed and those relays and switches dont need that.

I would go ahead and but that relay and test it out. If it does not work, its Amazon just return it.

I am assuming you already have the 24v power supply, if not you will need that.

I find it highly unlikely that it would not work with a mesh network. Most of these types of units only support 2.4Ghz which most mesh networks support...

I am assuming you already have the 24v power supply, if not you will need that.
Many of the relays state,

"Only support 2.4G WiFi network connection, not support Mesh WiFi system and 5G WiFi network!"

Some say they only support only 2.4G networks. I'll take the chance if I can't find other options.

I do have a 24 volt transformer connected to an IntelliComm.

Thank you!

I know it’s off topic to the original question but, honestly, why didn’t you just get an EasyTouch automation panel when the pool was built?? Given your pool specs, everything you have could be easily controlled by a single ET-8 panel and, back in 2015, they were probably were cheaper then when mine was installed in 2013.... just curious as to why you didn’t go with Pentair automation?

I know it’s off topic to the original question but, honestly, why didn’t you just get an EasyTouch automation panel when the pool was built?? Given your pool specs, everything you have could be easily controlled by a single ET-8 panel and, back in 2015, they were probably were cheaper then when mine was installed in 2013.... just curious as to why you didn’t go with Pentair automation?
It wasn't so much about the cost. At the time, a fully automated system didn't pass the value equation for us...and it still doesn't. I was close to retirement so I knew I would be around to be my own automation system. I was apprehensive about buying a state-of-the-art system that would quickly become outdated and unsupported. We really don't need full automation, but if I can add a few features for a few bucks, I'm in.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I've considered an irrigation controller for valve actuators, but not for pump control. I already have voltage to the switch, so I'm not sure what would happen when the irrigation controller power activates. Either way, if I can't find some simple relays that work, I'll stick with my current automation system...they never lose internet connection.
intermatic-accessories-156t1978a-64_1000.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.