IntelliConnect Review

@Blancmik

I just put in an IntelliConnect and I have almost the same setup as you do. I wanted to confirm since the documentation was a little confusing to me. Do I need to hook the SWG to one of the relays to enable/disable power or can the RS485 connection turn the SWG on and off based on the IntelliFlo's operation without the relay?

Thanks!

@Grndpoundr

Just wanted to send you a note regarding this... we had a power outage recently while we were out of town and when I came home my IntelliFlo was off (and my pool was getting no circulation or chlorine from my SWG). What I discovered is that, when the power goes out, the relay does not automatically turn back on.

I reached out to Pentair and that they stated that I should not have the IntelliFlo connected to the relay. The IntelliFlo should have its own, dedicated power source and the IntelliFlo should only be connected to the IntelliConnect via the communication cable. I've reached out to my pool builder who will be coming to re-wire the pump... as an interim solution I've setup a schedule for the relay so that in the event of a power failure, the schedule will cause the relay to turn back on. Additionally, Pentair said that I should choose the device type as an "Other Non Flow Dep device") to ensure that the communication with the IntelliChlor is correct (the IntelliConnect will determine when the IntelliChlor is active, not just the flow switch).

Hope this helps. I updated my original post to reflect this for anyone else that may look at this.

@PoolManMatt Neither the SWG nor the Intelliflo is connected to the Intelliconnect relay. Just the RS485 connection for both.

I originally had the Intelliflo connected to relay one, however Pentair confirmed that that was incorrect. Both the intelliflo and SWG should have a dedicated (non Intelliconnect relay) power source.

Good luck with the install!

Last edited:
I just installed my intelliconnect. Is it possible to control any of the functions through an Alexa? The Link₂O app doesn’t come up when I search.
Currently, no. I used intelliconnect to run a 1 speed pump and booster off the 2 relays. This provides my timer, freeze protect, and depedent pump control. As an added bonus, it measures the pump power flowing thru each relay and lets me view water temperature by attaching two therm wires and faking the heater setup. Decided to run the lights and water feature using regular WiFi switches controlled by Alexa.

Attachments

• 20191130_181501.jpg
    20191130_181501.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 98
Blanc,

Nice write up and seems to be a great way to get basic pool control. Does not appear to control valves for pools that have a spa but at under $600 for the controller this is a good deal for a lot of pools.

Chris

Reactions: Blancmik
@joeymorovis sorry for the delay in responding. The Intelliconnect has two relays that could be used to control lights separately. I have two light wired to one relay (the two lights in my pool) so that they are the same.

The relays appear to be pre-programmed to support Pentair, Hayward and Jandy lights among other things. Below are the options that show up when configuring a relay.

Attachments

• 284E32D6-71AF-486E-A195-E8F318308D1F.jpeg
    284E32D6-71AF-486E-A195-E8F318308D1F.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 152
Hey,
@Blanckmik
Do you do anything special on setup for the intelliflo and ichlor ?
I installed my connect and can’t get it to see the ichlor or intelliflo. Good connection on the rs terminals. Maybe thinking the connect is faulty . The intelliflo and ichlor are new. The app is online . The ichlor statues no Communication and intelliflo states offline.

@amgclk65
So the Intelliflo and IntelliChlor each have their own dedicated power source (not powered via the IntelliConnect). They are controlled via the IntelliConnect over an RS432 connection. Post #7 has a picture of the connection.

I did need to enable them via the interface to set them up initially. If you need additional photos, let me know.

Hey,
i figured it out. The RS432 cable was unplugged from inside the intelliflo drive units key pad. Took me a bit to figure that out. All works good now.
Still have a few issue to work out. I noticed the pump scheduling within the App is limited to time only. It does not let me set times for different days. Kind of strange. I haven't attempted to the set the sechdule via the pump itself. Maybe that's the trick. Also the relay is too slow to switch on and off for my generic led pool light via the app. So i can't color change the pool light. Toggling the relay manually works. The lag in network and app is too much . I'll have to figure something else out for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Blanc,

Nice write up and seems to be a great way to get basic pool control. Does not appear to control valves for pools that have a spa but at under $600 for the controller this is a good deal for a lot of pools.

Chris
Agree this is an excellent write-up! In fact, I've been waffling about adding this setup for my pool that's about to be built. I actually pulled the trigger on the automation based on what I read here and we signed our contract today! In my first post, I last said we decided to go without the automation but we have now added it based on everything my pool builder says they'll wire it to do and this review.
Spefically, why i'm responding to your reply is that my builder is installing this system with solenoid operated valves tied to the Intelliconnect to operate the jacuzzi that is part of our build. According to them, I'll be able to turn on the jacuzzi and start pre-heating, as well as all lights etc.. all from my phone. It's written into my contract so they are gonna find a way to make it work if this doesn't do it natively... :)

Agree this is an excellent write-up! In fact, I've been waffling about adding this setup for my pool that's about to be built. I actually pulled the trigger on the automation based on what I read here and we signed our contract today! In my first post, I last said we decided to go without the automation but we have now added it based on everything my pool builder says they'll wire it to do and this review.
Spefically, why i'm responding to your reply is that my builder is installing this system with solenoid operated valves tied to the Intelliconnect to operate the jacuzzi that is part of our build. According to them, I'll be able to turn on the jacuzzi and start pre-heating, as well as all lights etc.. all from my phone. It's written into my contract so they are gonna find a way to make it work if this doesn't do it natively... :)

Awesome! Congrats on signing! You’re going to love it!

Hello! This article was very helpful. I got my IntelliConnect working with my IntelliFlo and Pentair heater. I would love to be able to control my one valve actuator via the IntelliConnect. Is there any possible way to do this with the relay(s)? I can certainly wire in a 24V transformer, but the communication wire is where I'm stuck.

Linking to your other thread regarding acutator

I recently replaced one of my pumps that was used for a water feature. The old pump died after 20 years service. Rather than a single speed pump, I purchased a Pentair VSF variable speed IntelliFlo pump. I also purchased a Pentair Intelliconnect system to control the pump. My initial intent was to control both the pool filter pump (also a Pentair VSF IntelliFlo) and the new water feature pump. I though my experience might be worthwhile to others who are installing the IntelliConnect system.

First, after connecting both pumps to the Inelliconnect only find out nothing worked as intended. I had no trouble making connection to the house Wi-Fi system and got the app up and running on my smart phone. I was informed by Pentair support that you can only connect one IntelliFlo pump to the Intelliconnect. I did not see anything in the literature indicating that this is the case. But, no problem for me as the pool filter pump runs 24x7 at a very low speed and then runs for 3 hours during the day for the cleaning cycle. I just left the pool filter pump to run using the programmed schedule on that pump.

I then connected the new IntelliFlo pump to relay #1 and then used the RS-485 cable to connect to the communication terminal block in the IntelliConnect. This did not work either. I called Pentair support and was given instructions on how to set this all up ... by the way, this is not documented in the IntelliFlo or IntelliConnect instructions:
  • The IntelliFlo pump was be provided power through normal means. That is, do not connect the IntelliFlo to the relay in the IntelliConnect. The pump must have constant power. So it is connected directly to the home electrical distribution panel circuit breakers with a DPST switch installed in series near the pump.
  • Connect the IntelliFlo to the IntelliConnect using the RS-485 cable.
  • To use relay #1 or relay #2, the device that is connected should be a simple On/Off device. For example, you may want to turn on lights or something like that.
  • The IntelliConnect wiring instructions indicated that one connect one of the 240vac lines to the power input. My first attempt was to connect a power lead that was going to the pump as I thought this would provide power to the IntelliConnect and it did just fine. But, after setting up the pump to get its power independentaly from the relay on the IntelliConnect, I changed this to a seperate power feed. This is the better practice and should have done this the first time.
  • There does not seem to be a setting in the IntelliConnect to set the system time. With the IntelliFlo connected, I found that I can set one or more of the pump speeds to start/stop based on on a schedule using time of day, but the IntelliConnect gets the time of day from the IntelliFlo pump, hence the need to have constant power to the pump.
  • It seems that the lack of a system time in the IntelliConnect system itself is a serious omission. This would have been quite easy to implement and then one could take that to the next step and provide start/stop times to the relays as well ... for example, you may want to turn lights on/off at specific times. And, the system time could be obtained from the Wi-Fi router.
I am certainly not using the IntelliConnect to its fullest capabilities, but my intent was to provide a variable speed pump to the water feature so that the feature would start/stop for a period of 3 to 4 hours per day to make sure that chlorinated water is flushed through and have a smart phone capability to to turn on/off the water feature at will. Also, the VSF pump runs at a much lower speed and is far quieter than the old single speed pump. The new IntelliFlo pump and IntelliConnect system has fulfilled by expectations and I am quite pleased with results. My only criticism is that Pentair's instructions do not provide clear guidance for installation.

Steve

Effers, my builder installed the Intelliconnect, but it does not look complicated. I removed the wire cover and took a photo of the wires connected and the diagram in the enclosure. I have 220 on Relay 1 which is my pump and 120 on Relay 2 which are my lights. The smaller wires on the left are for the communication functions.

With respect to other equipment, I recall when I was first setting up the IntelliConnect I had to chose the equipment and I saw options for some Hayword and Jandy equipment, but I don't recall the specifics.

Hope this helps and good luck!

View attachment 100502

View attachment 100503
Can you please send a picture of the panel too?

I'm a new pool owner that has the IntelliConnect System from Pentair installed. I was not able to find much on this site regarding the IntelliConnect product, so I wanted to share my experience so far.

IntelliConnect Install Guide [ Link ]
IntelliConnect App User Guide [ Link ]
IntelliConnect Wireless Pairing Guide [ Link ]

I have what I am told is a pretty basic pool. 12K Gallon Gunite Pool with a bunch of Pentair gear (2 x Intellibrite LED Colored Lights, IntelliFlo VS Pump, Clean & Clear 200 RP Cartridge Filter, IntelliChlor SWG and the IntelliConnect automation).
View attachment 99079

The IntelliConnect is the smaller, light grey box, closest to the filter.

Setup was easy. I downloaded the app from the app store, connected to the device via Wifi (it acts as a hotspot for initial setup) and gave it the credentials for my home wifi. I did not have great wifi outside of my house so I did run a new access point to the back patio to have good wifi signal for the entire pool area.

All of the photos below are from the phone app, but the website looks and functions the same.

Landing Screen
This is the landing screen when you first launch the Link2O app. Apparently it supports multiple systems... so I have to click on my device to access any controls or details. I wish since I only have one device, it simply went to my pool.
View attachment 99080

Home Screen for Pool
This next page is the home screen for my pool. There are links to the controls (I do not have a heater so that option is disabled). At the bottom of the page you can see an overall status of the system.

View attachment 99081

IntelliFlo Page
From the home screen, if I click on IntelliFlo I see the below page. This page shows the current speed of the pump and energy usage. I can start/stop the pump, switch between the programs (1-4) and edit any of the programs. My program 1 has my run schedule (12 hours a day), so that's mostly all I use.
View attachment 99082

IntelliChlor Screen
The next option from the home screen is the IntelliChlor. This shows me the current setting for the SWG and allows me to change the setting in 5% increments. The bottom of the page shows the salt level (it's way too high as the builder added too much salt) and the water temperature. There is also a boost option, which will temporarily increase the chlorine generation and pump speed for a period of time that you can define. It defaults to 72 hours.
View attachment 99086

Relay Page
Finally, the last 2 options from the home screen control the relays (there are 2). Relay 1 is providing power to the IntelliFlo VSP and Relay 2 is providing power for my 2 IntelliBrite 5G LED lights (both lights are wired to the single relay).

Relay 1:
Initially I had Relay 1 in manual mode and on. The issue with manual mode in this situation is that, in the event of a power outage, the relay does not automatically turn back on when the power is restored. This has become an issue for me with the frequent Florida summer thunderstorms. I called Pentair about this and they stated that the IntelliFlo VSP should not be powered from the IntelliConnect Relay, rather it should have its own dedicated power line. The RS-432 interface will control the IntelliFlo and ensure that the IntelliChlor does not turn on, unless the pump is on. The Pentair rep also confirmed that with the RS-432 connection to both the IntelliFlo and IntelliChlor, in the event of a flow switch failure on the IntelliChlor, the IntelliConnect will prevent the IntelliChlor from turning on when the IntelliFlo is not running.

Relay 2:
I have both of my lights connected to Relay 2. The IntelliConnect allows you to setup one schedule for the lights, or just operate in manual mode. The best feature is that you can switch between the light modes (the IntelliBrite's have over 16 modes, which the kids love). You can of courser manually turn them on/off, even if a schedule is in place and active.

View attachment 99087

Overall I have been very happy with the system. This is my first pool and I had assumed any type of automation would have been out of my budget, but was pretty excited to see that this was standard from my builder. I like the ability to see energy usage and the ability to easily adjust the schedules with my phone and see the water temp even if I'm at work.

From an app/website perspective, the functionality is good, however every once in a while I have to kill the app and relaunch to interact with the controller. For example last night, I was trying to change the pool light colors and the app said it was working, but nothing happened. Once I killed the app and relaunched it was fine.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering this product. I'm happy to answer questions if there are any. Below are a couple photos of the pool for reference...

View attachment 99088View attachment 99089
Can you please post your panel open and the intelliconnect?

Can you please post your panel open and the intelliconnect?
Here ya go! One thing to note as you look at this... when the electrician first hooked this up, he had my pump wired into Relay 1 on the IntelliConnect. This is wrong; the pump needs dedicated power. That's what you see the wire nuts in the IntelliConnect... when the electrician came back, he just used the wire nuts to connect power to the pump and bypass the IntelliConnect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.