IntelliConnect - Additional relay?

Actually -- You are right. It's just an outlet. Why not a GFCI?

Because you have an old pool before NEC required GFCI on pool pumps.

You should put in a GFCI CB for the pump and update your wiring and bring it up to current codes.

GFCI @ CB is straight forward. And, then remove the outlet and hardwire the pump.

Use the Pentair CB for pumps they sell that are less sensitive to spurious GFCI trips.

I spoke with Pentair Technical Support but I forget to get his name. Extremely nice and helpful. Here's the takeaways:

1) The IntelliFlow can be on the same GFCI CB as the IntelliChlor, IntelliConnect, heater, etc. if it doesn't exceed the rating and if it doesn't trip the breaker. If it trips the breaker, you need to move the IntelliFlow to a separate line.
2) You do *NOT* need to use the relay for the IntelliChlor. The communication cable will determine if the IntelliFlow is not operational. The IntelliChlor's flow sensor is another safety measure
3) IntelliConnect should have "-70 dBm" or better for adequate Wifi connectivity

S,

Thanks for the follow up and talking with Pentair...

I'd really appreciate your feedback after you get your system installed.. It will be interesting to hear from someone that is actually using the IntelliConnect vs. just reading the manual like I have been doing. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with your new set up.

Thanks again,

Jim R.

S,

Thanks for the follow up and talking with Pentair...

I'd really appreciate your feedback after you get your system installed.. It will be interesting to hear from someone that is actually using the IntelliConnect vs. just reading the manual like I have been doing. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with your new set up.

Thanks again,

Jimv

I am sure I will find more issues along the way. Thanks to everyone for helping me. The members here provide tremendous help for me as I stumble through. I like to ask questions (to learn) and hopefully it helps others.

If the IntelliConnect runs on 120V, can I still attach 240V to the relay? It just opens/closes the connection and doesn't take on additional load, correct? IntelliFlow and IntelliChlor all run on 240V so if I could run the IntelliConnect on 120V, I could offload to a different breaker. With that said, I cannot find nor did Pentair even know the amp draw of the IntelliConnect.

Each relay can switch a 120v or 240 circuit.

My guess is the Intelliconnect should not draw more then 2amps. It is a simple device. Run the Intelliconnect on 120V.

Each relay can switch a 120v or 240 circuit.

My guess is the Intelliconnect should not draw more then 2amps. It is a simple device.

My heater is 2A for the digital display so I assumed this would be small too. Either way, it's better to offload if possible. I just didn't know if IntelliConnect MUST have 240V *IF* a 240V is attached to a relay. Learning as I go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked the IntelliFlow and IntelliChlor manuals and only the IntelliFlow lists the RS-485 cable as being included. Does the IntelliChlor also include a cable? What is the length?

For the IntelliChlor you use a 2 wire cable. Nothing is supplied because it goes into screw connectors at both ends.

S,

Just to be clear.. the IntelliChlor cell cannot run by itself, it needs a power center.. The IntelliChlor has a cable built into the cell that gets plugged into the power center.. That cable is about 8 or 10 feet long.. You will need to make your own cable to connect the power center to the IntelliConnect's RS-485 port.

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

Just to be clear.. the IntelliChlor cell cannot run by itself, it needs a power center.. The IntelliChlor has a cable built into the cell that gets plugged into the power center.. That cable is about 8 or 10 feet long.. You will need to make your own cable to connect the power center to the IntelliConnect's RS-485 port.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for bringing this up. I actually forgot about the power center but confirmed I have the IC60 and power center. I just need to make the cable for IntelliConnect's RS-485 port. I am going to check the IntelliFlow box to see if it actually includes the RS-485 cable as the manual indicates.

The IntelliPump (https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...intellifloxf-vsf/IntelliFlo_ProXF_VSF_Eng.pdf) comes with a RS-485 cable but not IntelliChlor? Odd.

The IntelliPump cable needs a special weatherproof connector on the pump connection side so it is supplied.

I spent a bit reading and didn't find a definitive answer. Currently, I use a Tork timer to provide power to pump/heater/swg which will now be replaced with the IntelliConnect. I BELIEVE that means the heater/pump/SWG will always be powered even if they are not active. There will be additional electricity draw but should I find a solution to kill the power to prolong the components life? Lastly, I've read the pump should run at least 10 minutes after the heater shuts off. Is there a way to program this via IntelliConnect? Or another way to automate that?

I spent a bit reading and didn't find a definitive answer. Currently, I use a Tork timer to provide power to pump/heater/swg which will now be replaced with the IntelliConnect. I BELIEVE that means the heater/pump/SWG will always be powered even if they are not active. There will be additional electricity draw but should I find a solution to kill the power to prolong the components life?

SWG will be off when pump is off.

Heater will be off when pump is off.

Pump will be on standby the way most electronic devices are now.

So no, you will have minimal draw when the pump is off.

Lastly, I've read the pump should run at least 10 minutes after the heater shuts off. Is there a way to program this via IntelliConnect? Or another way to automate that?

Intelliconnect gives you 5 minutes. That is good enough. See paage 3 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...liconnect/intelliconnect-link20-app-guide.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.