Intellichlor Water Temp Reading 0 Degrees - Cold Water Warning

Aerosfire

Nov 6, 2020
Houston, TX
I have an Intellichlor connected to an Intelliconnect via RS-485.

My pump runs 7pm-8am.
Once pump turns off, intellichlor turns “off” in Pentair app, but water temp still reports 85 degrees.

Around 12-1pm (4-5 hours after pump turnoff) the water temp in the IntelliChlor changes to 0 degrees and I get a low temperature email and alert. Salt level always reports “good”.

As soon as I turn the pump back on, water temperature correctly reports back to 85 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Your IntelliConnect has a water temperature sensor that is separate from the temperature sensor in the IntelliChlor flow switch. I am not sure which temperature sensor you are asking about.

The water temperature is not reliable once the pump is off. The temperature sensors are in the pipes on your equipment pad and are only reliable when water from the pool is flowing past them with the pump on.

Does this problem only occur with the pump off?

The temperature sensor in the IntelliChlor is the one that drops to 0 degrees and throws the warning. Its not just getting a few degrees off because there is no flow, its exactly 0.

It does only occur when the pump is off, but not immediately once the pump is turned off - several hours later.

The IntelliConnect has 2 separate RS-485 pairs. I had the pump on one and the intellichlor on the other. Looking at the manuals, everything seems to show the pump and intellichlor together on the same RS-485 pair. (e.g. Page 8 in this manual - https://desertspringspools.com/files/Pentair-IntelliChlor-Manual.pdf). As something to try, I have moved the pump and Intellichlor onto the same 2 RS-485 termnials to see if that helps.

The IntelliChlor temperature reading is not valid when the pump is off and no water is flowing. The IntelliConnect should not display the water temperature when the pump is off. You are seeing a bug in the app.

I don't think the RS-485 connections make any differnce.

Last edited:
Can you put your full equipment list in your signature? It helps to see what the whole environment is. I assume you're using Pentair Home to control stuff on the Intelliconnect. Do you see separate devices--pump and Intellichlor--there? Looking at the page you linked, page 8 is Intellitouch, not Intelliconnect. Which do you have?

Can you put your full equipment list in your signature? It helps to see what the whole environment is. I assume you're using Pentair Home to control stuff on the Intelliconnect. Do you see separate devices--pump and Intellichlor--there? Looking at the page you linked, page 8 is Intellitouch, not Intelliconnect. Which do you have?

Signature Updated!

First, an update. Since I connected the pump and IntelliChlor wires together at the same RS-485 terminal, the problem has not reoccurred.

I am using Pentair Home and an IntelliConnect. It does show up as 2 separate devices in the app. I understand that manual is for intellitouch; the Intelliconnect manual doesn’t include a diagram. The Intelliconnect manual does say “multiple conductors may be inserted into a single screw terminal”.

Maybe it is important that the pump be able to communicate directly with the intellichlor? Or maybe a bad rs-485 terminal?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.