Intellichlor vs circupool

RJM

Apr 5, 2015
Goleta CA
Hi all,
I have an intelliflow VS pump and a solar heating system controlled by a Pentair SolarTouch. I now plan to install an SWG, and I'm realizing that I should have used a more general controller than the solartouch, which is apparently useless for controlling anything else (although pentair does say that an intellichlor can communicate with the solartouch, I think that it would only come on when the solar is on if it was connected to the solartouch).

So, it seems that now my options are to convert to an EasyTouch or intellitouch that could control the SWG and the solar, or to just put the SWG on a timer. Right now, when the solar is not on, the pump is running at low speed 24hrs, but I'll turn it off at night in the winter, and could just run the SWG during the day all year on a separate timer. I posted a question on the Pentair Intellichlor website, and the answer suggested I could just rely on the Intellichlor timer and flow switch, although I have seen on here the recommendation for a mechanical timer and would go with that.

Given all this, do people think that the automation would be worth it? If I just go with the timer, is there any reason to consider an intellichlor (IC60) over the circupool (RJ-60)? Frankly I am kind of annoyed that the intelliflow pump can't tell the intellichlor when it's on and off. Pentair just seems to purposely compartmentalize everything.

Thank you - any advice would be appreciated, and maybe I'm missing some alternative solution.
Bob

I'm very pleased with my EasyTouch and Screenlogic setup, which manages my pool, the solar, my vac, the SWG, etc: at home, while away, from my computers or iPad/iPHone and even from a wall gizmo next to my HVAC thermostat. I went all in. I'd have bought a more capable model (DO NOT BY THE LITE VERSION OF AN EASYTOUCH), but other than that I'd buy it all again, or maybe their new IntelliCenter (I think it's called). They offer bundles, so you can get the controller and SWG at the same time at a bit of a discount. Sorry, can't address your other questions...

Reactions: elasipod and RJM
I happen to prefer the IntelliChlor to the Circupool although many folks here like their Circupool SWG's. With an IntelliFlo pump and the SolarTouch you are most of the way towards full Pentair automation.

The IC60 system will cost you $1,200.

A pool only IntelliCenter with the IC60 bundle will cost you $2,400.

So you get full Pentair automation including remote access and app for $1,200.

I posted a question on the Pentair Intellichlor website, and the answer suggested I could just rely on the Intellichlor timer and flow switch,

The IntelliChlor does not have a timer. You should not rely on just the flow switch Cells do explode.

Reactions: RJM and Dirk
RJM,

I am a big fan of Pentair stuff, but even I would not buy the IntelliChlor as a standalone SWCG.. Either get an EasyTouch (or the new IntelliCenter) + an IC60 or use a timer and go with the CircuPool SWCG.. They are more DIY and have a full set of diagnostics that you can run from their control panel..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: RJM
I happen to prefer the IntelliChlor to the Circupool although many folks here like their Circupool SWG's. With an IntelliFlo pump and the SolarTouch you are most of the way towards full Pentair automation.

The IC60 system will cost you $1,200.

A pool only IntelliCenter with the IC60 bundle will cost you $2,400.

So you get full Pentair automation including remote access and app for $1,200.

The IntelliChlor does not have a timer. You should not rely on just the flow switch Cells do explode.

Thanks for all this! I was having trouble finding that bundle you posted. Strangely it is not on the Pentair website. From my reading, the Intellicenter would replace my SolarTouch. I guess I could sell it to recoup some of the $.

RJM,

I am a big fan of Pentair stuff, but even I would not buy the IntelliChlor as a standalone SWCG.. Either get an EasyTouch (or the new IntelliCenter) + an IC60 or use a timer and go with the CircuPool SWCG.. They are more DIY and have a full set of diagnostics that you can run from their control panel..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks! That confirms my thinking. Given that the pump and solar are already automated, I am leaning toward the circupool option, since I don't mind going out and looking at the stuff now and then. I am not sure I'd even use the online controls.

RJ,

Like Jim I have a bias for Pentair products even though I started with Jandy. I've got Intellicenter automation and I actually think Pentair's swg is at least as good as Circupool but I'd go with the Circupool if you're going to DIY to get the warranty. Check to be sure as warranty provisions seem to be changing all the time but most major companies cut warranty a lot for DIY. I'm OK with a shorter warranty for electrical like automation since once it works for a week it usually runs way beyond the warranty period trouble free. Not so for the swg cell. All manufacturers have a few failures so I wouldn't chance that because the repair out of warranty is expensive if it fails.

Automation is well worth it for us but we swim year round and several times per week. Don't think there's a right or wrong just personal preference. If you don't go with automation you can just control the chlorinator from a wall unit and a timer.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: RJM and markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.