Intellichlor not keeping up

Aug 30, 2013
Maryland
Hi all,

Im on my second season of a new pool and seem to be having trouble with my IC60 Intellichlor keeping up. It’s about a 35k gallon pool.
Every single time I test the FC level, its 0. I have the IC60 running at 100% for 18 hours a day. My CYA is around 45. I’m adding 1-2 gallons of bleach a day to keep the pool from turning green, but still 0 FC.

Any ideas?

If you’re adding that much bleach daily and still FC=0 whether or not the swg is malfunctioning sounds like youve got something growing in the water consuming all the FC. Time to SLAM.

Andy,

Either your cell is bad, or something is consuming the FC faster than the cell can make it..

If the IC60's "Cell" light is on, then most likely the cell is making chlorine. Keep in mind that the Cell light goes on and off with chlorine production.. so at 50% output, the Cell light will be on for about 2.5 minutes and off for about 2.5 minutes.

Assuming the IC60 is ok, then something is consuming the FC.. The most likely suspect is algae, even if your pool is clear.

I suggest that you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test This will tell you if you have algae or not.

If you do have algae, then it is time to perform a SLAM.. SLAM Process

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: csconner
Andy,

it appears to me you’re CYA is low, which will allow FC to burn off more than is necessary durning the day in direct sun.

Also, what is condition and clarity of your water?

and how did you open, did you SLAM at opening?

Sounds to me like something is consuming your chlorine - algae!

check out these resources

I’d also suggest you fill out your signature, the info will help you and rest of the forum as questions will be minimized when you are requesting assistance from the TFP team, see here:

I personally target CYA of 70 and FC of 7+. I've been away from my pool for over a month now (caring for a family member) and my pool remains clear, free of algae and very swim-able. in fact my beautiful bride was in yesterday - she said it was perfect. I’m kinda able to manage my pool remotely via my nest cam and Pentair ScreenLogic software which allows me to manage pump, HP and most importantly SWG output.

I’m sure some of the TFP experts will chime in here, but the above will get you headed in the right direction.

enjoy..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.