Intellichlor ic40 "inspect cell" green light flashing & Intelliph not auto-dispensing acid

Dracka

May 28, 2020
St. Louis, MO.
My Intellichlor is not producing chlorine. The green cell light is flashing. I've inspected the cell, manually acid cleaned it twice, sprayed with a hose and can find nothing wrong in the cell. Cell has used 60,000 of it's 10,000 hours (40% life left). In addition to this, my Intelliph acid dispenser is not automatically dispensing acid. I can manually pump the acid, but while the pump works, I'm not sure any acid is actually going into the cell and into the pool. I have 2 gallons of acid in the tank and am watching to see if it goes down but since last night I cannot tell if it has after I've manually done it a few times (which pumps 4 ounces each time). So my acid pump isn't dispensing automatically, and my cell isn't producing chlorine. My chlorine count was nill and my ph was at 8.0! I've manually added the acid several times to lower the ph and put a few gallons of bleach in to get some chlorine in the pool. Salt level is fine. What can I do to get my pump automatically working again, or is it waiting for the cell to work? I'm stumped. Can't seem to fix either issue. Help!

D,

Normally, when the cell light flashes and the cell is clean, then it is dead.. Some have had luck increasing the salt level and making it work a little longer..

If the salt is on the low side, I would try that, just to make sure.

I have no clue if that is true with the ipH connected.. If this were my pool, I would temporarily remove the ipH and then see if the cell light still flashed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was able to temporarily install a used IC40 from my pool tech over the weekend and it worked like a charm. It even made my Intelliph start automatically dispensing acid again so both issues solved! It seems that the Intelliph DOES rely on the SWG and doesn't dispense if it detects no chlorine. So, anyway I'm replacing my cell tomorrow.

While I'm fairly sure of my decision, the pool store (Pantair dealer) sells the IC40 for $999 with a 2 year warranty. They are telling me I only need the Ichlor30 which is $650 with a 3 year warranty. I have a 20,000 gallon pool. I know some of you on here preach to buy a cell that will produce chlorine twice the size of your pool and I understand the logic as to extending the life of the cell. But... it seems these cells (regardless of the model Ichlor or Intellichlor) ALL have a 3-5 year life span. My dead cell lasted 6 years but still showed only 60% of it used up. So my point is, If I'm replacing a cell in that time frame anyway, shouldn't I just go with the cheaper price and better warranty instead of taking a chance that I MIGHT get a year or two more out of the IC40 which is $350 more PLUS a less year of warranty? Just seems like a no brainer to me but I'm open to listening!

You can buy an IC40 on line for ~$600. You get the 2 year warranty even with a DIY install.

D,

We don't recommend that a cell be 2 x the volume of the pool just to increase the cell life... We do it because of the length of time the pump needs to run to generate the amount of chlorine you need. The smaller the cell the longer, the longer the pump needs to run to make the same amount of chlorine.

If your original cell was installed by a "professional" with a Pentair warranty, then you are allowed to buy and install the cell yourself and you still get a 2 year warranty.

Thanks,

Jim R.

IntelliChlor® Salt Chlorine Generator (without Power Center)2 Years
The above is from Pentair. There is no requirement for a professional install.
You can purchase the new IC unit anywhere and register it on the Pentair site.

After much research and comparison, I replaced my Intellichlor IC40 with the Ichlor 30, which was $150 cheaper and a 3 year warranty vs a 2 year warranty with the Intellichlor. It is working great at 50% output with no issues. My local pool store carriers both types, but said they have had way better experiences with the Ichlor vs Intellichlor. I've had it for 3 weeks now and it is working wonderfully. All of my chlorine levels are in range and my Easy Touch Acid dispenser is dispensing acid again. I had to put half a jug of muriatic acid in the pool to get the ph and alkalinity right as the dispenser doesn't dispense enough (even at 100%) to catch up, but all is working great now. Thanks for all of the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.