Intellichlor Cell Light Flashing

atripodi24

May 18, 2019
Colts Neck, NJ
Wow. 10 years.

Time for a new cell.
How long should the cell last? We installed ours in May 2022, and today it is blinking green. Checked my calcium hardness and it's at 80. PH is high at 8.0 and alkalinity is also high at 110. CYA is at 40. Salt is at 3000, but I figure I need to get the other stuff balanced and the cell fixed before I worry about that. I added shock since there's currently no chlorine in the pool, and then will add sodium bisulfate to lower the PH.

Of course this happens today, the day my husband left for a two week overseas work trip and I really don't know how to take the cell off to clean it, as he usually handles everything with the equipment. Any potential suggestions, other than I'm going to need to get a crash course in taking the cell off and cleaning it?

I assume you are speaking of an Intellichlor. Normally, 5-7 years if properly sized and water chemistry managed.
FYI -- never use dry acid (sodium bisulfate) in a pool with a SWCG. The sulfates destroy the metal plates in the cell.

If the Cell Light is blinking green, you must first look to be sure the cell does not have significant calcium buildup.

If the cell is clean of scale, and the light is still blinking, file a warranty claim.

I assume you are speaking of an Intellichlor. Normally, 5-7 years if properly sized and water chemistry managed.
FYI -- never use dry acid (sodium bisulfate) in a pool with a SWCG. The sulfates destroy the metal plates in the cell.

If the Cell Light is blinking green, you must first look to be sure the cell does not have significant calcium buildup.

If the cell is clean of scale, and the light is still blinking, file a warranty claim.
My husband's friend came over last night and he helped me clean the cell. It didn't look bad. After turning it back on, the Cell light was still blinking. So he did some quick Google-ing and said we could try adding salt. Salt was at 3000, so we added 3 bags. It brought the salt to where it needs to be at 3600.

But now the Cell light is still blinking and the Good light started blinking, indicating high salt. I just tested the salt again using the Taylor salt test and it's at 3600. The other things have balanced out too, Chlorine is at 3.5, PH is at 7.4 and alkalinity is at 80.

Unfortunately, the warranty probably won't apply since my husband self installed the cell, so from the looks of it, we're probably screwed?

If it was a replacement cell that was self installed, it has a two year warranty.

Ahh -- that is a bummer.
Part of the risk you take installing DIY with some manufacturers equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.