Concours14

Jan 15, 2023
Elk Grove, Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, I have an Pentair IntelliChem system that I have an issue with. I do understand that most don't care for that system and I myself would never have one installed again, but its there now and I might as well try and utilize it. The system is now 4 years old. I do all the work on it myself and have made many repairs and changes, but I'm having an issue with my ORP side that I just can not figure out. If someone is familiar with the system and has some information, I would greatly appreciate the information.

Issue is- The ORP is not dispensing. Ive already checked the function of the pump, checked the lines, etc. Ive already verified that it is not anything to do with the tank. In fact, the tank doses fine when I do a manual dose.

However, on the panel it continues to stay on Monitoring Mode. When I do a manual dose, when its complete it will set a counter time of 46 min and when it reaches that time, instead of dosing, it goes right back to Monitoring. I have it dosing by Volume (has been for the last 4 years) and I change the amount of times and Ounces as needed. The ORP was showing HIGH at 823 (which sometimes happens in the morning and then comes back down eventually), but when it came back into range, it still was staying on Monitoring and not dosing (hasn't dosed in 4 days now unless I manually do it). I also did 4 Factory resets within those days.

Dosing Frequency and Amount also changes on its own on both Acid and ORP as well. It has never done that before. It keeps dropping to 5 times at 45 oz/day from a higher setpoint I keep them at. Today I decided to change the probe out and put a new one in. Probe tests were showing "Good" with the one I changed out, but I decided to change it anyways. So now the new probe is showing LOW at 280. Now its hard to know which one is correct. Tomorrow I may just put the old one back in (currently sitting in buffer solution) just to see what it says again.

Thanks for any help provided

Since there hasn't been any replies yet, I'm going to ask @Jimrahbe if he has any knowledge on this system. If not, perhaps another member will reply to assist. Post back as much as needed to keep your thread visible to solicit responses. Good luck!

Reactions: Concours14

Sorry, I am not up on the operation of the IntelliChem. :(

We only have a few members with the system as it does not play well with where we like to keep our CYA levels.

My "guess' is that your ORP sensor (probe) needs to be cleaned or replaced, but, I have no clue if that is your issue or not, it is just a typical failure point.

Let's hope one of your IntelliChem members stops by with some real advice.

Sorry,

Jim R.

What kind of automation do you have? ET? IT? If you have automation i would highly suggest you convert the intellichem to a simple automated dispensing of acid and Chlorine. You can wire both tank/pumps on relays and program you automation to dose accordingly. If you decide to do it you can PM and i will help as much as possible.

Reactions: Concours14
What kind of automation do you have? ET? IT? If you have automation i would highly suggest you convert the intellichem to a simple automated dispensing of acid and Chlorine. You can wire both tank/pumps on relays and program you automation to dose accordingly. If you decide to do it you can PM and i will help as much as possible.
Thank you. Sorry for the late response. That is very nice of you to offer the help. I ended up changing the ORP sensor and it solved the problem. I do clean the probes once a month and they both showed good, but once I changed it, it starting working again. I'm now keeping it on Advance Mode so that I can keep a closer eye on it. Thank you again.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Have you checked the ORP dosage limit? Normally it will not dose if that limit has been exceeded in a 24 hour period. The limit can be manually cleared as well.
Yes, I am changing that regularly depending on the levels. When I used to have service with the pool company (3.5 yrs since the build), it was never adjusted by the tech and it was dosing so much that my Chlorine levels were 10+ all the time. Once I took over service myself (Jan 2023), I learned the system and started adjusting the dosages accordingly. I recently started using Power-on instead of 24 Hrs. Is that something you recommend or should I change it back? Thank you

Have you checked the ORP dosage limit? Normally it will not dose if that limit has been exceeded in a 24 hour period. The limit can be manually cleared as well.
Yes and thank you for the response. I recently changed the setting to Power-on instead of 24 Hours. Seems to be working ok now that I changed the probe. Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.