IntelliCenter wireless remote

Happy 4th!

My pool will be completed in the next couple of weeks. I am undecided on the wireless remote unit. How difficult is it to connect/install if I decided to add later?
I don't have any experience with it so I can't say for sure.
Maybe someone will come along who does have experience with it but I can't recall off hand, anyone here who does. Looks to me like it doesn't do any more than the iOS or android mobile phone apps.

I did look at the Installation manual and it looks pretty straight forward and fairly simple to me.
But check it out and then you can be the judge based on your own known skill sets in this area.
r.

We looked at this and decided against it. App and desktop give us all the benefits plus if you want it access to remote control away from the house via internet. I would not expect it's any more difficult than local WiFi and that was very easy.

Chris

Maybe someone will come along who does have experience with it but I can't recall off hand, anyone here who does.

@RichSiegmund has the wired version of the control panel, so they might have some input. Maybe you could have your installer run a RS-485 communication cable to your house where you could hook up the transceiver at a later date if needed. Also take a look at the following thread.

Last edited:
@chemsales I just installed the wired controller, the electrical part is very easy if you have basic skill with a screwdriver. The device did not come with any kind of wiring harness, so you'd need to purchase a 4-conductor (2 twisted pairs) wire long enough to go from your Intellicenter panel to whereever you want to mount the device. I had an existing cable that had about 20 twisted pairs already installed from a previous pool controller so I just reused 4 of the wires. This part couldn't be any simpler, just need to make sure you read the instructions and wire the 4 pins on the controller to the same 4 pins on the Intellicenter.

Now depending on where you want to locate the indoor controller you may have a lot more work. When I installed the original wiring I ran it in pvc conduit along the outside of the house and then came up the stone outside about 2' and then drilled a hole through the stone into the house, then I cut a small opening at the height where the controller was to be mounted (about 5' from floor) and fished the cable through the pvc and through the wall up to the controller's location.

After that is done mounting the controller is just 2 screws and some sheetrock anchors.

In my opinion the wired controller is essential. The app is kind of clunky, and while it works for me it's slow. Grab your phone, open the app, wait 5-10 seconds until it gives you a login screen, touch the connect option and wait another 5 seconds, then a few more screen touches and it probably works. Maybe 20 seconds total. Versus the wired controller on the wall you always know is there, it's just a touch screen with the same interface as the screen in the Intellicenter enclosure.

The bigger problem with the app is that after some time that I haven't figured out it disconnects, but it gives the appearance of being connected and will respond falsely. So for instance it appears you shut the pool off but it really stayed on. That's a huge annoyance for me, and means I need to log out/back into the app everytime I want to use it.

The wired controller can also easily be used by everyone in the family and guests will be able to figure it out too. So for convenience reasons I think it's a terrific addition, yes it costs $379 plus the effort to install but it's probably going to be the most common way you'll use to turn the pool equipment on and off.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.