IntelliCenter vs EasyTouch given the price difference?

atlastracer

Aug 2, 2022
Victoria, BC, Canada
We are getting a pool built (first one). As a tech person...I really wanted to have some automation for our pool (monitor temp, adjust schedules, lights, etc).

Our builder doesn't typically do automation - but got a quote from his supplier for it. I had originally asked him for a quote on the IntelliCenter (after reading several threads here). He came back initially with a quote on the EasyTouch system + ScreenLogic controller. The follow-up quote came in for the IntelliCenter system (no wireless remote, as that was $1800 CAD more).

The price difference between the EasyTouch w/ ScreenLogic and the IntelliCenter is $1700 CAD more for the IntelliCenter.

Our pool is going to be pretty simple:
- Single body of water + Gas Heater
- Pool lights (3 in the pool)
- Temp Sensors (pool + air)
- Coverstar automatic safety cover

However I'd like to add other low-voltage landscape lighting to the controller if possible (lighting around the pool deck). Not sure if that is possible with the EasyTouch. I know I can do that with the IntelliCenter.

Is it worth the $1700 CAD increase to get the IntelliCenter? Or am I way over-building this thing.... Does the EasyTouch come with remotes? Because there is no way I am adding $1800 for the wireless remotes from this supplier....i'm assuming I can add this later from somewhere else (hopefully cheaper).

Welcome to the forum.
Be sure the Easytouch being quoted is NOT the Lite version. The price difference should not be that much for a full ET system (4 relays) vs an iP5 Intellicenter.
No need for remotes. Use an low cost tablet or old phone. Both Screenlogic and Intellicenter have Local connection.
The cover may or may not be controlled by the automation. Be sure to check that.

Consider getting a SWCG packaged with with automation.

at,

The EasyTouch with ScreenLogic will work just fine, but it is like buying an iPhone 1, instead of buying the newest iPhone for about the same price. If comparing apples to apples the price difference should only be a few hundred dollars. Do NOT buy an EasyTouch lite. It will have an "L" in the model number like PL4 or PSL4.

Here is a good site that shows all the EasyTouch and IntelliCenter products. If you are thinking of going with a saltwater pool, get the package deal so that the power supply for the salt cell is built into the main box.

Without a spa, you don't really "need" an automation system, but if I loaned you one for 90 days, I'd have a very hard time getting it back. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

As a tech person
As a tech person, you are gonna want the Intellicenter. As mentioned above, yes, the Easy Touch is "fine", but any tech person is going to have a difficult time getting the oldest pool technology available, instead of the newest tech.

Coverstar automatic safety cover
With the Intellicenter, you can get an add on board that will communicate with the cover to know it it is open or closed. You can not actually get the cover to open or close from the automation, but, with the add on, you can tell the Intellicenter to do certain things, or not to do things based on the status of the cover. For example, my lights will not turn on if the cover is closed, regardless of the light schedule. My salt cell will not produce chlorine if the cover is closed. My water features will not turn on if the cover is closed, and if they are on when the cover is open, will shut off if I start to close the cover.

Because there is no way I am adding $1800 for the wireless remotes from this supplier
I picked up a low cost iPad mini, and a waterproof cover for my remote. This is my dedicated pool remote. I have the Intellicenter app, all my home controls, and home audio all on this. This even works as my TV remotes. As a tech guy myself, this is way better than any Pentair remote. I think you could get a small device and cover for a relatively small cost.

our PB recommended sticking with traditional chlorine
The price difference between the EasyTouch w/ ScreenLogic and the IntelliCenter is $1700 CAD more for the IntelliCenter.
Our builder doesn't typically do automation
Sounds a little like your PB is more old school than up to date. Guessing this is why he is recommending chlorine, doesn't usually do automation, and giving you a price on the Intellicenter that is way out of line, and more like a "I do not want to do it, but will for this price" kind of quote. Mot sure how easy he is to work with, but just remember, this is going to be YOUR pool, and you need to be happy with all aspects of it. Adding a SWCG, and automation will make for a much better pool, that you seem to want, and am sure will be happier with.

As a tech person myself, I insisted on the Intellicenter, and if it was really $1,700 more, I probably would have made the decision to do it, but it really shouldn't be that much. The price difference has to make sense to you, I gave you a few reasons why I would do it, and why I like mine, but it is YOUR pool, and your checkbook. I may look deeper into the links @Jimrahbe posted and see the real product price differences and see if you can talk with your builder into a reasonable price for the system, and a SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.