sansuncal

Nov 19, 2020
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I just upgraded from ET-8 to IC i10PS and connected everything as per pentair manual but its not booting up. Valves and relays get power but screen and lan jack are totally off. When powered up, I see lights on daughter card blink then large clicking not sure relay or CB and nothing happens. Its using 120 V transformer connection.
Any ideas what could be going wrong ?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2869.jpeg
    IMG_2869.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    713.2 KB · Views: 29
Pull the white power connector off the board and use your multimeter and check you have 24V AC and 18VAC at the power connector.

1701544734173.png

If you have 24VAC and 18V AC then disconnect all the actuators and RS-485 connectors and I would even remove the i10PS personality board and see if the main board display lights up and boots. If it does not then make a warranty claim with Pentair or return the board to where you bought it.

hopefully that odd looking pump connection at the comm port is just the photo angle...

but i am curious to see what you get for the voltage measurements Allen asked about. and it's interesting that all of the aux leds are illuminated on the personality card (i have an i10d that's doing the same thing). i bet the loud click noise is from the two relays on the personality card.

there is a setting in the setup (under Advanced System Configuration > Installation Setup > Body Configuration > Expansion 1) that lets you set which personality card you've got (i thought it detected this automatically, but maybe it doesn't??). if the card boots without your personality card it might be worth checking to see if it's set to i10x and trying again.

Pump's 485 connection is good and no shorts

Small little pins for wifi has 24 v

Nothing happening when expansion board is not connected

So looks like system only has 24 v supply that is powering up valves etc but not sure about 18 v that IC needs. Is there anyway to check the voltage safely?
I tried directly between orange and orange white pins in white plug and it read 0 v and same on reds ie shows 0 between red and red white. :( is transformer bad? I got that from Ebay

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So looks like system only has 24 v supply that is powering up valves etc but not sure about 18 v that IC needs. Is there anyway to check is safely?

Check what safely?

You determined you don't have 18V at the board.
I tried directly between orange and orange white pins in white plug and it read 0 v and same on reds.

What do you mean same on reds?

Red wires should have 24VAC.

Orange wires should have 18V AC.

What did you get?
:( is transformer bad? I got that from Ebay

You got the transformer from eBay?

Sounds like the transformer is defective.

Reactions: sansuncal
I have not studied how the transformer is wired through the circuit breakers to the white board connector. You may want to take a close look at the 18V CB for any problems. Use your multimeter and check the continuity of the 18V CB and check that is not bad.

Reactions: sansuncal
One leg of each of the secondaries (the 18 and 24 volt outputs are the secondaries) has a circuit breaker in-line, before the white connector. The other leg goes straight to the connector. So if the check Allen suggested for the low voltage breaker is ok, then your transformer is bad (as long as it's wired correctly and getting power).

Was you transformer wired for 120 or 240? There are 3 wires (black, yellow, purple) on the primary (input to the transformer), how are they connected?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I reconnected the transformer again to 120 V ie black to L and purple to N and checked AC V on output. Reds read 26.7 v and oranges read 20v or so. So it's sending power to both relays and system boards. Whats isnt making sense is why only the auxs on expansion board are getting power and there is nothing on main board. Board shouldn't do this on first time use as it's not exposed to any surge at all.

Your posts are getting confusing.

If you have 18+VAC into the board and the board is striped down of all connections and does not light up then you have a bad board.

Where did you buy the board from?

The 18 and 24 vac from the system transformer goes to the main board also go straight off to the personality boards. See my post here for a description of how it works...

in your case, it sounds like the main board is bad as Allen said - my post above just explains why the personality board would still get power.

if your main board has any kind of warranty, send it back. if it doesn't, pm me and we can trouble shoot the board itself offline.

Your posts are getting confusing.

If you have 18+VAC into the board and the board is striped down of all connections and does not light up then you have a bad board.

Where did you buy the board from?
Yes looks like main board is dead. it was an open box item from ebay so no avenue for warranty. :(