Intellicenter - service mode, timeout - what does your pump do?

TonyWI
What com port is your pump connected to? It it connected to COM PORT RS485-A (J5) on the Mother Card?
Is there anything else connected to that Com Port?
Can you ensure that your pump is connected as illustrated below?
I see you have a SWCG. Is that connected to Com Port RS485-B (J4)?
r.

IMG_0439.jpeg
Pump is on J5, SWG cable is wired to J4 but not connected yet, but it will be Thursday. Hmm. Maybe I need to see what happens when I disconnect the SWG com port, or even switch the pump around.

I just assumed that it was to be used by a pool service guy or technician, as a "safety feature" to ensure that the IntelliCenter gets back to AUTO MODE, before 24 hours elapses in case they forget to put it back to AUTO MODE manually.

Yea - I want it for "folks that can't or don't want to understand the system and that I don't want to mess with my programs or circuits". i.e. my husband, morning skimmer emptier. ;-) Also handy if someone doesn't have the PIN, and needs to shut the equipment off in an emergency i.e. house sitters.

UPDATE: And I would think that you could delete all of the programming in Pgm 1 and that would do it.

Right - that would make sense. There is no such thing though. They are fixed programs, and you can only adjust the speed and delay.

OK, so moving the com port connection for the pump didn't make a difference. And disconnecting the SWG lead didn't change anything either. Right back into Program 1 on service. It's past bedtime (10:30) here, so I'll check back in the morning and maybe try Pentair back on the phone.

Tony,

I don't believe that the pump will just automatically go to the External Control mode by itself.. Let's pretend that we had an IntelliCom.. The pump will not do anything until the Intellicom sends the pump a command to go to speed 1 or 2 or 3 etc.. Without the Intellicom it should never run an "External" speed... Since you do not have the Intellicom, then what is making the pump think you do? Either the Automation is sending an erroneous command or the pump is bad.. ?????

In the Service mode, the communications between the pump and the automation is supposed to be cut off. I'd want to know what happens when the com cable is not connected.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'd want to know what happens when the com cable is not connected.

It acts "normal" -- and would never flip into that program. Ran it years that way, before the Intellicenter. I was thinking bad cable (but everything else works?) Proved it wasn't a bad port by flipping them around. Maybe some kind of firmware/incompatibility issue? This pump was probably one of the first off the shelf. (Installed 7/1/16).

(I am supposed to be sleeping but got trapped in Under Construction lol)

Last edited:
Sorry - I haven't forgotten about this. I haven't been able to figure anything out so far... (Got distracted with water chemistry.)

Will try and get on with Pentair again, or have my stealer come out to look with a Pentair rep perhaps.

Tony

I have answers, or a plausible explanation.

By way of a company that I do business with that has a connection with our local Pentair rep. Apparently this is a known issue with the original/early version of firmware on the IntelliFlo 2 VST combined with IntelliCenter firmware 23.

"I spoke to the rep and he said that is actually a normal part of the circuit function for the [...] 23 intellicenter that came out. He said that the pump will either run one to two minutes after turning it to service mode then shut off or you have to press the stop button as you said worked. I asked him if there is a fix for this and he said there is not."

Don't know if they are blowing smoke, but it could explain it.

I'm still curious though - if anyone reads this post with a first-edition IntelliFlo 2 VST, please share your experience.

I have answers, or a plausible explanation.

By way of a company that I do business with that has a connection with our local Pentair rep. Apparently this is a known issue with the original/early version of firmware on the IntelliFlo 2 VST combined with IntelliCenter firmware 23.

"I spoke to the rep and he said that is actually a normal part of the circuit function for the [...] 23 intellicenter that came out. He said that the pump will either run one to two minutes after turning it to service mode then shut off or you have to press the stop button as you said worked. I asked him if there is a fix for this and he said there is not."

Don't know if they are blowing smoke, but it could explain it.

I'm still curious though - if anyone reads this post with a first-edition IntelliFlo 2 VST, please share your experience.
TonyWI
Tony,
Hmmm, interesting. :unsure:. It does sound plausible. My early thoughts on your conversation with the rep, is that the Reps response "SHOULD" have went like this. [I asked him if there is a fix for this] and he said there is not AT THIS TIME. BUT I'LL BE SURE TO RUN IT UP THE "CHAIN" AND SEE IF WE CAN'T INCORPORATE A "FIX" FOR THIS ISSUE IN A FUTURE UPDATE." Instead of just basically saying "Sorry Charlie".

If it still bugs you, a call to Pentair Tech Support may be in order. I will be sure to add this to the list of noted IntelliCenter discrepancies that I transmit to Pentair from time to time. I am also adding the issue about the Web-Client and iOS (and I assume Android as well) not "mirroring" or having as many features as the System Control Panel. They know about it, but it never hurts to "reiterate" :)
Thanks much for sharing this info..
Take care...
r.

Funny - tried calling Pentair this morning... Their phone menu is broken. When you land on IntelliCenter, you get a voicemail that the extension is not taking calls, then it tells you to call the number you just did, and it hangs up on you.

The path in the IVR is 1 1 1 1 1 3.

Then I went in via IntelliChlor to ask if they would transfer me and I spoke with the rudest customer service person I've dealt with in a while.... making up things left and right, made no sense. sigh.

That is not good. Every time I have called Pentair I spoke with knowledgeable technical service personnel.

Did you call the Moorpark CA site directly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.