Intellicenter - service mode, timeout - what does your pump do?

TonyWI

May 21, 2015
Wauwatosa, WI
Intellicenter users -- what does your pump or pumps do when you go into service mode, or do a timeout from the panel?

My pump (VS) flips out of external communication mode, but then seems to be picking up some kind of automation program in the pump - so the pump keeps going.

You can hit start/stop on the pump to stop it. All the schedules are disabled on the pump. I would expect the pump to stop when comms are lost, not keep going doing its own thing.

Overall - all other Intellicenter communication works in general -- schedules, RPM's, etc.

Haven't called Pentair, but that will probably be next if someone elses' does something different. :)

Tony

Tony,

The whole purpose of the Service Mode is to disconnect the pump from the automation and allow you to use the pump's control panel.

I have an EasyTouch and the pump just stops.. Seems to me that is exactly what should happen..

I would have to assume that something inside your pump is telling it to run.. I would do a factory reset on the pump.

Let's see what @MyAZPool has to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Did the reset - all clear. Ignore the time/date on this photo - it was before reset. (Now 12:00)

Pump does the same thing - here's the program it flips into when comms are lost. On the phone with Pentair now, Intellicenter team is transferring me to pump support. IMG_0428.jpeg

Delete the program on the pump.

Right - that's what I thought too -- or disable it. No way to do that. Program 1-4 are in the IntelliComm "automation" section. The only menu options are to set the speed, and a stop delay - nothing to disable or delete, that I can see.

"This function is for programming speeds that will run when the IntelliComm® Communication Center sends it a command. For example, Terminal 3 and 4 in the IntelliComm system will correspond to External Control Program #1. (5 and 6 to Ext Ctrl #2)."

https://www.horizonpoolsupply.com/_uls/resources/IntelliFlo_2_VST_Variable_Speed_Pump_Manual.pdf. Page 17 shows the programs and pins.

Now - this is interesting. That Stop Delay... "The Stop Delay feature allows the user to program the pump to run a Program Speed after the External Control has been deactivated. This feature can be used to provide a cooling down period for the pump after a trigger signal from an installed heater has been deactivated." I wonder if I give it a stop delay of 1 minute, it will shut itself off? Not ideal, but at least then I can stop the pump via service mode (eventually.)

Just off with Pentair. Pump team said "not a pump issue" after doing another reset, running through all the settings ... Transferred back to Intellicenter; I hung up after a 15 minute wait and will try again tomorrow. :oops:

I also went as far as changing pump address on both sides, reconfiguring the pump on Intellicenter, etc - same.

Hmm.

Tony,

I am confused.. Do you have the new Pentair IntelliCenter? If so are you also using the IntelliComm box as well?? Why is the pump set up to receive the External commands?

Jim R.

Me too. IntelliCenter + IntelliCom? Are they compatible? I don't know anything about that. But I'm always interested in learning something new.

I was having a different issue in the very beginning. It turned out to be a software issue that was corrected by Pentair when they "remoted in" to my system. but in the course of our troubleshooting, they had me go into Service Mode. They found out, I still had the programming in the pump from before I had the automation. They had me delete all of the old pump programming.

With that, I think I should wait on trying to help out any further until we get an answer about the IntelliCenter + IntelliCom situation. That one I'm not sure about.
r.

Last edited:
MyAZpool... If you go to the Service Mode right now, does your pump shut off or not???

It seems to me it should not matter if the pump has programming or not, it should just shut off...

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MyAZpool... If you go to the Service Mode right now, does your pump shut off or not???
It seems to me it should not matter if the pump has programming or not, it should just shut off...
Jim R.
Jimrahbe
Jim,
We were out getting some good ole Texas barbecue. :p
Hold on a sec, and I will head out to the control panel and see about it.
r.

Jimrahbe
Jim,
We were out getting some good ole Texas barbecue. :p
Hold on a sec, and I will head out to the control panel and see about it.
r.
So, I manually activated the Pump Aux Circuit, pump fired up.
Then, navigated to Service Mode page and activated the Service Mode and exited back to Home Screen.
It took about 10 seconds and the pump turned off.
Screen shots below:
IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

Last edited:
Right - that was their thought with mine too - but I had already disabled all the schedules. And now they are really really gone, after the factory reset.
TonyWI
Pentair Tech Support advised you to do a Factory Reset and did not advise you to back up your config file to a thumb drive first? Shame on them!!
A bit too late for this now, but yea, ALWAYS have a fresh config file backed up on a thumb drive before making large system configuration changes or especially a factory reset.

I am sorry you lost your programming. I know that sucks but you will be an IntelliCenter programming wiz by the time you get everything configured again and just the way you like it. Sorry, just trying to put a positive spin on a PITB situation.

Please, if I can help you with any of your programming questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out. If I don't know, I'll sure try to find out.
r.

I would disconnect the serial cable from the pump (with power off) and then fire the pump up.. If it only runs when you push the buttons then the problem has to be with the IntelliCenter making the pump think there is an IntelliConnect in the circuit. Everything comes in on two wires... It can't be the pump, otherwise I would not think it would work correctly when the automation was in control...

I had assumed you could just shut off the external control, but it appears it is always on just waiting on the right input from the IntelliCenter to turn it on.

Jim R.

I would disconnect the serial cable from the pump (with power off) and then fire the pump up.. If it only runs when you push the buttons then the problem has to be with the IntelliCenter making the pump think there is an IntelliConnect in the circuit. Everything comes in on two wires... It can't be the pump, otherwise I would not think it would work correctly when the automation was in control...

I had assumed you could just shut off the external control, but it appears it is always on just waiting on the right input from the IntelliCenter to turn it on.

Jim R.
Jimrahbe
Jim
I think you can shut off "external control" and I think Pentair Tech Support had me do that. Just don't remember if they had me turn it back on after we were troubleshooting the "Freeze Protection" issue I was dealing with. I'm going to go out to the pump and look.
Standby...
r.

Jimrahbe
Jim
I think you can shut off "external control" and I think Pentair Tech Support had me do that. Just don't remember if they had me turn it back on after we were troubleshooting the "Freeze Protection" issue I was dealing with. I'm going to go out to the pump and look.
Standby...
r.
Jimrahbe
So, I navigated to Ext Cntl and it was set to Program 1. On the VSF anyway, you can only change which program (1-4) it is set to. Nothing else.
Then I went back to "Auto" in the automation.
The pump went back to "Display not active".
r.

Jim R.
TonyWI
What com port is your pump connected to? It it connected to COM PORT RS485-A (J5) on the Mother Card?
Is there anything else connected to that Com Port?
Can you ensure that your pump is connected as illustrated below?
2019-04-02_19-39-42.jpg
I see you have a SWCG. Is that connected to Com Port RS485-B (J4)?
r.

Ok - I think we have some wires crossed and confusion here.

Let me clarify and follow the recent posts.

- IntelliCenter with VS pump (no IntelliCom)
- When turning Intellicenter into service or timeout mode, pump goes to "Program 1"
- Program 1 is referenced in the pump manual as relating to the IntelliCom - which I don't have or even know what it is - but that's why I brought up IntelliCom. :)
- Tech support had me do a factory reset of the pump - to make sure there were no schedules, or other bad/odd settings - not the Intellicenter. I know better.. lol. I do have a backup on the system, and on USB - good point, though!
- @MyAZPool - I have been reading your threads and appreciate the tips/findings/updates - VERY helpful.
- @Jimrahbe - Re: disconnecting the serial cable, yea - that is exactly where I am. I haven't found anything about disabling anything related to that part of automation on the pump.
- EVERYTHING else with respect to comms & the pump is working.
- The pump stops correctly on schedules. It stops when I turn off the Pool circuit. (At all times when being controlled - display not active). It's only the service/timeout that's wacko -- when the display becomes active, and Program 1 kicks in.

Sorry for any confusion I caused, and thanks for all the responses.

Ok - I think we have some wires crossed and confusion here.
Let me clarify and follow the recent posts.
- IntelliCenter with VS pump (no IntelliCom)
- When turning Intellicenter into service or timeout mode, pump goes to "Program 1"
- Program 1 is referenced in the pump manual as relating to the IntelliCom - which I don't have or even know what it is - but that's why I brought up IntelliCom. :)
- Tech support had me do a factory reset of the pump - to make sure there were no schedules, or other bad/odd settings - not the Intellicenter. I know better.. lol. I do have a backup on the system, and on USB - good point, though!
- @MyAZPool - I have been reading your threads and appreciate the tips/findings/updates - VERY helpful.
- @Jimrahbe - Re: disconnecting the serial cable, yea - that is exactly where I am. I haven't found anything about disabling anything related to that part of automation on the pump.
- EVERYTHING else with respect to comms & the pump is working.
- The pump stops correctly on schedules. It stops when I turn off the Pool circuit. (At all times when being controlled - display not active). It's only the service/timeout that's wacko -- when the display becomes active, and Program 1 kicks in.

Sorry for any confusion I caused, and thanks for all the responses.
TonyWI
Lot's of good news here. Glad to hear things are better than what I was thinking....
Okay great. I understand the use of the Service Mode Timer (Setting the count-down timer from 1 to 24 hours for selected circuits to remain in the service mode).
Just for my own curiosity, why would you want to use it from a practical standpoint? (I'm thinking I might discover something new here :)). I just assumed that it was to be used by a pool service guy or technician, as a "safety feature" to ensure that the IntelliCenter gets back to AUTO MODE, before 24 hours elapses in case they forget to put it back to AUTO MODE manually.
Thanks much!
r.
UPDATE: And I would think that you could delete all of the programming in Pgm 1 and that would do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.