Intellicenter preset modes. is this possible?

SlipperyPete

Sep 19, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
Can I add some intellivalves and automate different modes in my pool? Basically, I like to keep my pump running as long as possible. So in pool mode it's normally around 60 GPM so I can have my bubbles on. I only turn on the deck jets when the kids are in the pool. Instead of constantly walking to the equipment and manually shifting valves then adjusting the pump speed... I'd like to be able to choose b/t different modes. For example...

- mode 1 - pool on, pump at 30 gpm. this would run most of the day. save electricity and no need to aerate the water when we aren't home.
- mode 2 - (existing pool mode) pool on, bubblers on, pump at 60 GPM. this would run when the wife are I are outside relaxing and wanting to hear the water moving
- mode 3 - pool on, deck jets on, pump moving faster to make the deck jets higher, bubblers off, pool return valve reduced to 50% or so.
- mode 4 - (existing spa mode) spa on, pump at full speed. all return water going to spa side

I'm not sure if I can automate this with the click of a button on the app. It would certainly be nice. I have an intellivalve that controls the returns b/t the spa and pool. But the valves after the 'pool' are manual: pool returns, bubblers, & deck jets. I know the first step would be to install and setup intellivalves for these three valves. However, I don't see on my intellicenter app where I would be able to setup these modes.

Intellicenter shows I have a pool & spa. They share an Intelliflo VSF pump. As of now, I can basically toggle b/t pool & spa. Anything else has to be done by manually adjusting the valves then adjusting the pump speed in the Intellicenter app.

Is this all possible or am I dreaming?

Pete,

I have an EasyTouch and not an IntelliCenter, but what you want to do seems very possible.

The standard IntelliCenter can only control 4 valves... The pool and spa modes use two of them, that leaves you two valves drivers. One good thing about the IntelliCenter is that you can buy a board that adds additional valve drivers.

As you turn on "Circuits" they can each be assigned pump speeds, so I see no problems there.

The IntelliCenter has a Group function that would allow you to push one icon and have it turn on several circuits at once, so I see no issues there.

On the surface, I see no problems doing what you want.

Do you plan to do this yourself, or have someone else come in and program the system to do what you want?

Let's see what our main IntelliCenter guy has to say... Calling @MyAZPool

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: SlipperyPete
Jim- Thank you. I would really like to do this myself if it isn't something too difficult. I work in IT, so I love automating things. I'm typically a DIY'r for many things if it is something I can handle by myself. My biggest hurdle is I'm new to being a pool owner in general. So I'm not yet sure of the limitations and levels of difficulty in modifying things. Prior to my pool install last fall, my pool experience was limited to house-sitting for my brother while his pool was a liner pool with salt and nothing automated. So my pool is different in every way except being in-ground. :)

Pete,

Show us some pics of your equipment pad.

It should be an easy DIY project.. The biggest issue will be understanding how to speak "Pentair". It is not hard, but often their terminology does not make common sense. Once you can get your head around how their automation works, the rest should be easy.

I am pretty fluent in "EasyTouch", but unfortunately, I have no first hand experience with the new IntelliCenter. But we have plenty of members that are..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: SlipperyPete
@SlipperyPete
Can I add some intellivalves and automate different modes in my pool?
Simple answer is YES...

I like to keep my pump running as long as possible. So in pool mode it's normally around 60 GPM so I can have my bubbles on. I only turn on the deck jets when the kids are in the pool. Instead of constantly walking to the equipment and manually shifting valves then adjusting the pump speed... I'd like to be able to choose b/t different modes.
That's all well and good but just keep the following in the back of your mind. The more you run water features, the more muriatic acid you will need to add. The simple equation is: agitated water (bubbles, streams, waterfalls, sprays, lots and lots of cannnon balls = a rise in pH and hence more MA to keep your pH value in an acceptable range. You can find additional and more detailed information on this fact all over TFP and in TFP Pool School. Of course, I'm not saying don't use water features. They're great and I love them, just remember this fact when you are setting up water feature schedules. Now on to the fun part.

I'd like to be able to choose b/t different modes. For example...

- mode 1 - pool on, pump at 30 gpm. this would run most of the day. save electricity and no need to aerate the water when we aren't home.
- mode 2 - (existing pool mode) pool on, bubblers on, pump at 60 GPM. this would run when the wife are I are outside relaxing and wanting to hear the water moving
- mode 3 - pool on, deck jets on, pump moving faster to make the deck jets higher, bubblers off, pool return valve reduced to 50% or so.
- mode 4 - (existing spa mode) spa on, pump at full speed. all return water going to spa side

I'm not sure if I can automate this with the click of a button on the app. It would certainly be nice. I have an intellivalve that controls the returns b/t the spa and pool. But the valves after the 'pool' are manual: pool returns, bubblers, & deck jets. I know the first step would be to install and setup intellivalves for these three valves. However, I don't see on my intellicenter app where I would be able to setup these modes.

Intellicenter shows I have a pool & spa. They share an Intelliflo VSF pump. As of now, I can basically toggle b/t pool & spa. Anything else has to be done by manually adjusting the valves then adjusting the pump speed in the Intellicenter app.

Is this all possible or am I dreaming?
If I understand all of the above correctly, as @Jimrahbe pointed out, I see no reason why not (I don't think you are dreaming). While using Circuit Groups (macros) combined with scheduling features to your advantage, trust me, one can get pretty creative.
Here are some things to get you started.

1. Any IntelliValves (highly recommended over the CVA-24's for a whole host of reasons), and over a number of four (in your case), then you will need to purchase and install a Valve Expansion Module. It's very easy. I highly recommend that you take a look at the following thread and familiarize yourself with all the items in the first post there that are applicable to your setup. Especially the section on the Valve Expansion Module, etc.

2. I also recommend that you try to familiarize yourself with how Feature Circuits, Circuit Groups, Pump Speeds, Valve Settings and Schedules should be setup and how they relate to each other. As Jim pointed out, speaking and understanding Pentairgalese is a skill that is not easily learned. The following link to this video should help you to overcome the English to Pentair language barrier somewhat.
IntelliCenter Circuits / Pump and Valve Associations

Hope the above gets you started down the right path to accomplishing what you want to do.
r.

Pete,

Show us some pics of your equipment pad.

my equipment pad is next to my fence so the pics aren’t ideal. Please ignore the grass behind it. I’m about to go outside and hit it with some round up.

Attachments

• B3578636-3AA7-4659-AFE7-D7275C02D38E.jpeg
    B3578636-3AA7-4659-AFE7-D7275C02D38E.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 44C4783B-481D-4EC3-9E1C-F555D487C303.jpeg
    44C4783B-481D-4EC3-9E1C-F555D487C303.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 16
  • AA0B1AA1-A746-4C10-8A9F-E6DC503BAD88.jpeg
    AA0B1AA1-A746-4C10-8A9F-E6DC503BAD88.jpeg
    614.2 KB · Views: 16
@SlipperyPete

Simple answer is YES...

Thanks for all the info. I feel like I’m about to go down a rabbit hole. Lol

That's all well and good but just keep the following in the back of your mind. The more you run water features, the more muriatic acid you will need to add. The simple equation is: agitated water (bubbles, streams, waterfalls, sprays, lots and lots of cannnon balls = a rise in pH and hence more MA to keep your pH value in an acceptable range.

this is part of my motivation. I run my bubblers all the time bc I don’t want to manually turn them on and off when I’m out there. So if I can automate this, I should be able to keep the ph levels regulated easier. Thanks again!

B,

Thanks for the pcs.. I just wanted to make sure that the valves you wanted to automate were Jandy style valve and not ball valves.

You look good to go to me.

I would start slow and then build up to what you want to do..

Add the additional valve drivers.
Install the additional valve actuators.
Assign each new valve to a valve driver
Make sure that you can control each new valve one at a time by pushing an icon on your panel or remote
Once everything works "manually" then you can start automating things using Circuit groups and pump speeds.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would start slow and then build up to what you want to do..

Add the additional valve drivers.
Install the additional valve actuators.
Assign each new valve to a valve driver

Thanks again for all the great info. I've been reading the info that @MyAZPool referenced above. I think what I need to purchase is:

• Pentair Intellivalve 13 LED 24V Sealed Valve Actuator 180 Degree Swing 521485 (qty 3)
  • Pentair Intellicenter Valve Expansion Module | 522038Z
It seems like parts are hard to find. poolsupplyunlimited.com (if I need to remove the website, I will) appears to have them, but I can't get anyone on the phone.

If I'm missing anything, please let me know. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pete,

Try these guys.. Pentair Intellivalve Valve Actuator

They should also have the valve Expansion module..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Their site shows the intellivalve in stock but the expansion module isn't. I'm not in a hurry. So I might just buy two of the intellivalves and install them on my water features (bubblers & deck jets) since they should fit on my existing board. I can always come back later and add the expansion valve and another actuator to the control the pool returns remotely.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thanks again @MyAZPool & @Jimrahbe . With your help, I ordered a couple of Intellivalves and installed them today. I'm using them on my deck jets and bubblers. I couldn't get an expansion card so I didn't buy the third Intellivalve that I wanted. Currently, I've created feature circuits that allow me to turn on/off the deck jets and bubblers. I'm still trying to learn how the circuit groups work. I think I'm doing something wrong or maybe I'm expecting too much. I'm going to keep playing with it and learn the limitations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.